18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2013 12:13 AM by Nohjekim

Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?

Nohjekim Level 1

Hi Guys

Here is the situation.

I create a video in PE, using another video running in the background, and my characters and 3D content green screened in front of it.

Now I want to zoom in on my character in the forground.

I do the zoom in Poser and output the video with the green screen behind it and import it into PE,

Of course the background remains static in PE, so it doesn't look quite right because the background stays the same as the camera moves

I know how to enlarge and move the background video around, for the entire clip, but is there a way to do it gradually,

For example, can I have the video at normal framing at frame 600 and then have it move in on the image so that it enlarges gradually to the new cropping at frame 750.

Just a small amount of movement in the background will do compared to the forground content.

Then I'll match it up with the zooming camera done in Poser so that in the scene the camera will appear to move in on the whole thing not just my green screened content.

I hope I'm explaining this so it's clear.

Mike

• 1. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

In case I am missing what you need to do:

I know how to enlarge and move the background video around, for the entire clip, but is there a way to do it gradually,

Are you using the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale to do that "zoom?" If so, then you can Keyframe that Effect over time. You can also alter the Interpolation of those Keyframes. They are created Linear, but PrE allows you to use other Interpolation, such as Bezier, to "smooth" the Keyframing out a bit.

If I am completely missing what you are doing, and what you need, then please ignore the above.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

I am not sure that I am targeting what you seek with regard to the green screen footage and the background....asssuming that you want the object or person in the green screen to zoom in context with the background....

Background on Video 1

Green Screen with Green Screen intact on Video 2

Keyframe Video 2 content (with green still there) via Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded/Scale property

Then, select Green Screen on Video 2, Edit Menu/Copy

Then, select Background on Video 1, Edit Menu/Paste Effects and Adjustments

Then, go to Video 2, for fx Effects/Keying/Green Screen Key

The object or person will zoom with the background.

Disclaimers....

Copy/Paste Effects and Adjustments will do that for all Effects and Adjustments in the clip besides the Scaling keyframing.

I tried to do this in a more selective way, that is, Select All, Copy the keyframes in the Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded/Scale,

but my Paste was not working. If worse came to worse, I could write down the numbers there and use those for the keyframing of the background on Video 1, but....

ATR

• 3. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
              Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

I think your on the right track, but it doesn't have to be that complicated if I can do it manually.

The camera is still for a few seconds, then moves forward for about 5 seconds and then pauses while Lucy speaks for a while.then after about a minute the camera moves in closer on Lucy, and stays in the same place to the end. 

The zooms of Lucy are built into the Poser Video.

The only screen that I need to make any adjustments to is the background, Video 1.

I can split the background, a rainy scene in a cemetery at the points where the camera starts and ends it's movement and I can manually move in on the background to what looks like the correct framing.

What I need to know is how do I set the background video, Video 1, to move from one cropping point gradually to another and not jump from on point to the next.

Because the background is farther from the camera the moment will be less then on the foreground objects so the don't actually move at the same speed.

I'm almost at a point where I can import the Poser video and try it out.

Mike

• 4. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike,

I do not believe you need to cut the background.

I have been experimenting with this this afternoon with rough models.

You should need two scale keyframes on Video 1's background content

first at the very start of the Lucy zoom,

second at the end of the Lucy zoom.

Screenshot 1.JPG

Screenshot2.JPG

I have tried a variety of Interpolation Methods on the keyframes. Are you working in the Motion Panel expanded area view that I have shown in the screenshot? You can right click a keyframe in the Show/Hide Keyframe area and set for

Linear, Bezier, Auto Bezier, Continuous Bezier, or one of the presets Ease In or Ease Out to try to control the keyframe effects.

Have you taken that approach already? The end result should not be a jump in zoom levels, but

gradual one.

ATR

• 5. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

I agree with ATR - there should be no need to Cut Lucy's "background" footage on Video Track 1.

If the zoom is to be continuous, then you only need two Keyframes (the one where you wish the zoom to begin, and the one where you wish it to end.

If, however, you wish to zoom into a % with Scale, and "hold" that over time, you would just add a Keyframe (let's say with 120%,) where the zoom should stop, then progress along the Timeline, to where you wish for it to start again, and place a Keyframe there. The % of Scale would be the same (i.e. holding that setting) at 120% (my example here). Then you would continue the zoom, until you want it to stop again.

In the Scale Keyframe display, you would have a "ramp" up to where you wished to hold the zoom, then a flat, horizontal line, until the Keyframe, where you wish to begin zooming again.

As ATR points out, you can smooth the Interpolation of those Keyframes, by Rt-clicking on the Keyframe, and changing the Interpolaton. Just a gues, but your experimentation with Interpolation will tell, I think that Bezier will get you what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
                    Nohjekim Level 1

Thanks

I'll give this a try today.

My problem is that I only figure out how to do this stuff when I need to do it.

so I'm always trying something I haven't done before.

I just figured out about key frames last week. LOL

Mike

• 7. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
                      Nohjekim Level 1

Hi Again.

Ok that worked, it took me a while to push the Apply Effects button but once I did that it works, it moves smoothly t the next zoom and it looks like it moves as the background would if the camera was zooming in on Lucy.

I have another problem though, and this is a technical issue.

For some reason my transitions don't show when I open the Transitions window.

They were working yesterday.

Premiere Elements 12 02.JPG

You can see that in the transitions window only one transition shows, and it doesn't have the graphic in it.

Any idea how I can get them to show up?

Mike

PS. I just realized that the transitions are in there but not showing, if I click around in the blank space I can find them.

• 8. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike,

I have not run into that kind of Transitions display in my Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 or 8 64 bit. Interesting "click around in the blank space I can find them." Is your video card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

Have you found that, if you give it more time, the opened Transitions palette will populate itself with the Transitions thumbnails? My Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8 64 bit was a nightware in getting started, extreme slowness in File Menu/New/Project opening and program closing the saved project. The Windows 7 64 bit problems are now gone, but the Windows 8 side of things persists, but I almost have them resolved. Bottom line: see if you are being hit by one of these time related "program is not responding" related issues. I do not see this behavior on Premiere Elements 11 which I have on the same computers.

ATR

• 9. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
                          Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

All my video software it up to date.

I have an nVidia 680 video card and I'm running the latest drivers.

I'm running Windows 8 64 bit, I do notice that some things are a bit slower then in PE 10, especially opening the project to start with.

But the Transitions Menu was working fine yesterday when I closed it.

I might try reinstalling if I can't find some way to reset it, sometimes that will fix things and they won't come back again later.

I don't know if PE has a repair function.

I'm making progress on the video, next step is to green screen in the front edge of an umbrella that appears as if someone were walking and seeing the Umbrella in the top of there vision as the move along.

The last thing I'm going to do is the ghost.

He will be a separate video that will be superimposed in the back ground behind Lucy and is kind of a project in itself.

Mike

It doens't make any difference how long I wait, the icons never show up.

• 10. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

You mentioned Premiere Elements 10 and NVIDIA GTX 680. Set up a flare.

Have you seen the growing problems with Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA video card users. Here the answer was not the latest version of the video card driver. The answer was to roll back the video card driver, at least for now until someone at NVIDIA or Adobe sorts through the matter.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675?tstart=0

Please review the link content and the idea and see if any of that applies to your specific situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
                              Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

Actually I forgot that I had to do that just a few weeks ago because I was having issues with PE 10 displaying correctly.

Well I hate to keep back dating my video drivers but I can give that a try.

I notice that rendering the final video is taking longer in Premiere Elements 12 then in 10.

When I get time I'll load the same file into both and see how long they take to output the same files type.

I always thought that PE 10 was really fast.

Mike

PS I did go back to my old video drivers but it didn't help.

Tomorrow I will reinstall PE 12 with the old drives in place.

• 12. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
                                Nohjekim Level 1

HI

I went back to my old video drivers and then uninstalled and reinstalled PE 12, not the transitions icons are back.

Now we'll just have to wait and see if they stay there.

Mike

• 13. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Thanks for the update.

Hope that was a permanent fix until the Premiere Elements 10 and NVIDIA video card driver issues get sorted out.

ATR

• 14. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
                                    Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

Well, it wasn't a permanent fix,

They disappeared again without me even closing and opening the program.

They were there and then the next time I looked they weren't.

Well at least I can use them, as long as I search around it the empty space until I find it.

I can then still drag it to where I want it.

Mike

• 15. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Very discouraging. I am still battling Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 64 bit. My hangups are with the slow opening of File Menu/New/Project and the slow closing when saving closing the program. I am inventing new troubleshooting as I go. Premiere Elements 11 on that same Windows 8 64 bit computer runs great all around. Premiere Elements 12 other than what I have mentioned runs fine on Window 8 64 bit. But, those waits are outrageous.

I will keep a watch for any transition issues. Are you OK with Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 64 bit? Is it just Premiere Elements 10 where this issue hit?

As a side note, Premiere Elements 11 and 12 on Windows 7 64 bit are running with any complaints from me.

ATR

• 16. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
                                        Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

For me the slow opening thing seems to have gotten better, I think this happened when I reinstalled it.

I noticed today that my project loaded a lot faster, but the writing the final video is much slower in PE 12 then it was in PE 10.

I was going to open my current job in PE 10 and time the difference but I discovered that 10 won't open the jobs that I've done in 12.

I just says unknown error.

The problems that I was having in 10 also had to do with transitions, in 10 they were in the menu, but didn't show when I applied them, though I found later that at least some of them were there.

But they didn't show in the editing or preview windows only after the video was output.

I like the interface in 12 a lot better, now that I'm getting used to it.

I hope the will be an update soon that cleans up some of the glitches.

Mike

• 17. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Thanks for your additional reports on your Premiere Elements 10 and 12 on Windows 8 64 bit.

It has always been the case (well almost always) that when you create a project in one version and then edit it in a later one, you cannot go back and edit that later version edited project back in the earlier version.

I wrote "well almost always" because I found one situation where, if you created the project in Premiere Elements 10 Windows, you could edit it in an earlier version. It is a one of a kind and repeatable situation specific to version 10. However, using this "perk" can lead to other complications, so not advising it. Further details on this upon request.

It will be interesting to follow your disappearing transitions situations in Premiere Elements 10. I suspect that the video card issue is involved. If a new and improved NVIDIA video card driver appears, maybe that will be the answer?

ATR

• 18. Re: Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?
                                            Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

I'm struggling through this project but once it's done I think I'm going back to 10 until the bugs get worked out.

I'm getting strange video distortions, and some other issues, it's crashed a number of times, and it takes forever to do anything.

In one of my clips the green screen would show in some areas of the clip, not all over, part of the frame would show the BG and other areas  would be green.

I finally solved that by combining the object and background video in Poser, I've had problems doing that in the past but I finally go that solved.

I have to have the preview windows the size of a postage stamp in order to get to even come close to keeping up, an I have a really, really fast computer.

I can play Skyrim at 144 frames per second in stereo mode on a 27 inch 1920 by 1080 monitor.

That gives me a thought, maybe I should set my refresh rate down to 60 Fps, maybe it can't keep up with PE at that rate.

I'll try that, after I get out of here.

I am getting through the project though, slowly.

I've found that like earlier versions I can't import uncompressed video files, I always have to use some form of compression, doesn't matter what, avi, wmv. Mpeg, but if I don't compress them they won't import.

The good news it that I've had a lot of issues with the titles, and I now have a good copy of the mostly completed video saved in 2 formats, so if worse comes to worse I can grab the titles off of one of those.

I would have the titles section all done that then the next time I would open it there would be some kind of video problem.

Anyway at this point if I get stuck I'm at a point where I could import the partially finished file that I saved all in one piece and open it in 10 and finish it.

I kind of wish I had upgraded to 11 instead. LOL

Mike

I did see some performance improvements after setting my refresh rate down too 60 fps.