2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 8:41 AM by Ninaval

preparing a file to be printed

Ninaval

Good evening,

I have a question about the exportation of a file made in Indesign that I need to print. I hope you can help me.

I have to precise that short time ago I used  Freehand for projects as catalogs with many pages.

In that case, to export a file that I had to print I had to transform necessarily every image present in the file in TIF at 300dpi and I had to adjust the measure of every single picture (percentage of resizing).

My question is: Is this the process that I have to adopt also when I work with Indesign?

Moreover, If I want to design a catalog or a project similar to a magazine, is it right to realize it with pages placed side by side?

If it is the right way, is it necessary to make the edging of 3mm also in the borders of bookbinding? Otherwise, is it an option that is made automatically during the exportation in pdf?

I hope that I have exposed properly my doubts. Sorry for my poor English…

Thank you very much for your kind help!

• 1. Re: preparing a file to be printed
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The requiements for a print-ready file are not really dependent on the application. If you need 300 ppi, at output, your image when placed in ID must have an effective resolution of at least 300 ppi. You can downsample and convert the color to CMYK during export, however, so it isn't necessary to edit each image unless you like to tweak the color after conversion. You can place prety much any image format, as well, so if you have .psd or .jpg there is no reason to convert just for the sake of conversion.

You can add a bleed allowance or slug during document setup, and you can include those in your export, along with a variety of marks.

You should set up a project like a catalog as "facing pages" in numeric order, then export to PDF as single pages (this is the default -- you have to work to get spreads). The printer will impose into the correct order for binding and add any grind-off allowance or creep that is required.

• 2. Re: preparing a file to be printed
            Ninaval Level 1

Thank you very very much for your answer!  You've been very helpful!!!

Thanks again,

Nina