7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2013 12:42 PM by mjshutt

blurred pdf

mjshutt

I am exporting a pdf from a mapping program (arcmap), the pdf opens in AI with layers, when I place the AI pdf into ID the whole pdf is too blurred to read???? The mapping pdf will not come into ID. I hardley ever use AI & ID

• 1. Re: blurred pdf
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

There are several issues here:

(1)     If the you cannot place the PDF file from your mapping program into InDesign, there is likely a problem with the structure of the PDF file itself.

(2)     Adobe Illustrator is not, repeat is not, repeat yet again is not a general purpose PDF editing program. Why? Illustrator does not support interpretation and editing of all features of PDF, only those of Illustrator. The only PDF files that may be fully and properly edited in Adobe Illustrator are PDF files explitly saved from Illustrator with the option for allowing such editing. Any other PDF files opened in Illustrator are subject to content loss, color changes, relayout of text, etc. This likely happened in your case.

(3)     Try opening the PDF file in Adobe Acrobat Pro. See if you get any error messages. Try using preflight to ascertain if there are any fixable problems. If there are, use the preflight functions to fix them. Even then, try resaving out of Acrobat. Then, try placing again into InDesign.

If (3) above doesn't work, I suggest you contact the Tech Support organization for the mapping program and see if they know faulty PDF coming out of their software.

- Dov

• 2. Re: blurred pdf
            TwitchOSX Level 1

Uh... have you right clicked on the map in ID and went to "Display Performance" and turned on "High Quality Display"??

• 3. Re: blurred pdf
              mjshutt Level 1

Uh...... yes, doesn't make any difference

• 4. Re: blurred pdf
                mjshutt Level 1

Thanks, arcmap has always had issues exporting, I don't have acrobat, I have all this software & am reluctant to buy more, the pdf opens in adobe reader fine showing all the layers. The pdf looks good in Ai with all the layers, I can't figure out why ID won't show the file properly as AI & AR does

• 5. Re: blurred pdf
                  mjshutt Level 1

This works, the file is quite big & there was a 20sec delay before the screen refreshed with the image, thanks

• 6. Re: blurred pdf
                    Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Can we assume that you were able to now properly place the original file into InDesign?

- Dov

• 7. Re: blurred pdf
                      mjshutt Level 1

works fine now thanks