3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 9:43 AM by jbowden

Seek to a point in video?

ladobeugm

I'm trying to figure out a way to use jQuery to seek to a point in an HTML5 video. This tutorial actually gives an example of how to do it using JavaScript, but I'm not sure if it will work in Edge Animate or not. It's not really jQuery, is it? Has anyone tried to do this in Animate yet?

• 1. Re: Seek to a point in video?
          jbowden Adobe Employee

Page not found error on your link...

ladobeugm wrote:

This tutorial actually gives an example of how to do it using JavaScript, but I'm not sure if it will work in Edge Animate or not. It's not really jQuery, is it?

Sure - Animate entirely supports Javascript, and jQuery is just a (highly useful) Javascript library.

I suspect the example you saw is just using the currentTime property with the play method. If you can control it with Javascript, it can do so when issued from Animate.

hth,

Joe

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Seek to a point in video?
            ladobeugm Level 1

Sorry about that, Joe. I added an extra http:// at the end of the URL. Oops!

Correct URL is http://www.longtailvideo.com/html5/seeking/

Problem is their example uses a Javascript embedded directly inside of the HTML document. Reality wise, it would make more sense to have it in its' own .js document and then let yepnope call it from compositionReady. Right?

• 3. Re: Seek to a point in video?
              jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi there,

You needn't add it using yepnope, although you could. You could just point to the .js file in the HTML file, or even add all the Javascript code in Animate, and call it from there.

Unless you have a need to log or otherwise track the seek data somewhere, you could eliminate that part, as it's not necessary to actually play from a time other than zero, because all you need is currentTime and maybe the play method to play from for example, 60 sec.

hth,

Joe

1 person found this helpful