7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2013 5:57 PM by A.T. Romano

DSLR and Premiere Elements 11 trouble

Adobe Pat 206

To whom it may concern,

I am currently using Adobe Premiere Elements 11 and trying to connect a Canon Rebel T3i with it to do time-lapses. Premiere does not recognize the DSLR, why?

If you could help me that would be great.

Adobe Pat 206

• 1. Re: DSLR and Premiere Elements 11 trouble
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Premiere does not recognize the DSLR, why?

Firewire only for video CAPTURE... any USB connection may only be used for "after the fact" TRANSFER of completed video

• 2. Re: DSLR and Premiere Elements 11 trouble
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Adobe Pat 206

Do I recall correctly that you are on Premiere Elements 11 Mac?

What do you have now for connections...USB cable from camera to computer to Premiere Elements 11 opened and set for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Other?

(I have assumed those settings based on what I have read of your camera video specifications. But, if that does

not represent your actual camera settings, then we need to talk.

What are transferring from the camera to computer and/or Premiere Elements...photos for Time Lapse or other?

We will be watching for further details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: DSLR and Premiere Elements 11 trouble
              Adobe Pat 206 Level 1

Hello A.T. Romano,

I am running on Windows 7, I tried changing the project settings in Premiere to NTSC>DSLR>1080p>DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97, it didn't work. However, my camera is set to 8.0 Megapixels for pictures. since I am doing a time-lapse (just pictures). I want Premiere to control the camera and save its pictures in the software.

Is that possible?

Best Regards.

Adobe Pat 206

• 4. Re: DSLR and Premiere Elements 11 trouble
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Adobe Pat 206

Please review the following two blog post

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-time-lapse-video-basics.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe-numbered-stills-in-time-lapse-and.html

and then we can go over this specific to your situation.

Right now I am suspecting that you would be best served saving those time lapse images from camera to computer hard drive folder.

More later.

ATR

• 5. Re: DSLR and Premiere Elements 11 trouble
                  Adobe Pat 206 Level 1

Hello again A.T. Romano,

I understand and already know what you explained in the blogs. I would like to know if there is a way Premiere can control  my DSLR and the import the pictures in a projects automatically?

Thanks,

Adobe Pat 206

• 6. Re: DSLR and Premiere Elements 11 trouble
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Pat,

I do not know about Canon software, but Nikon has (or did have) Nikon Capture, which could control one's Nikon (such functions, such as an intervolometer, exposure settings) and also allow direct capture to the computer's HDD.

PrPro used to have a program, OnLocation, but that has been discontinued. While it did not provide some of the additional functions, as Nikon Capture, it DID allow direct capture to the HDD.

I would check with Canon, to see if they have something like Nikon Capture.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: DSLR and Premiere Elements 11 trouble
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Adobe Pat 206

It appears that you are not looking for a direct route to the computer hard drive save location, but rather to Premiere Elements. Got that.

I do not think it advisable to try to bring that large a number of sequentially ordered high resolution photos directly into a Premiere Elements project. We would need to talk resolution and how many of these. Are they all jpgs?

Nonetheless, let me try to help you define what you can do for the way you prefer.

How are you connecting the Canon Rebel T3i to the computer and Premiere Elements 11 now and not succeeding?

USB from Canon (with SD card still inside) and Premiere Elements 11 set to the appropriate project preset.

a. What project preset?

b. Are you selecting Add Media/Photos from camera or devices/Adobe Premiere Elements - Photo Downloader?

Does your computer on which Premiere Elements is running come with a SD slot? Is so, have you tried using that with the SD card removed from the camera and the same project preset and Add Media/choice as above?

Lots to explore in the way of transfer and the maintenance of the order at destination.

Please let us know if any of the above is of use or whether you have been there and done that and it does not work for you.

Thanks.

ATR