1 2 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 1:45 PM by A.T. Romano

Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes

LisaRedlich Level 1

I am using Premiere Elements 11 and it keeps crashing when I try to render.  I read the article about only render the work area, but I can't figure out how to set the start and end points.  How do you get those markers to show up?

• 1. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Premiere Elements FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

>How do you

Second, The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help

Premiere Elements FAQ List (2 pages of FAQ as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq?view=all

Premiere Elements TIPS List (6 pages of Tips as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_tips?view=all

• 2. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.This Image shows the WAB in PrE 11, and the "brackets":

PrE11_WAB_01.png

Hope that helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
              LisaRedlich Level 1

Thank you!  Where does the end bracket come from?  I found the little slider thing on the left to slide to the start spot, but I can't find the one to slide to the end spot.  Sorry, I'm not technical at all

• 4. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

The easy way to set those gray tabs of the WorkArea Bar to span just the area for Timeline rendering is with the shortcuts.

Move the Timeline Indicator to the beginning of the segment to be Timeline rendered. Then as you hold down on the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, hit the left bracket key [

next

Move the Timeline Indicator to the end of the segment to be Timeline rendred. Then as you hold down on the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, hit the right bracket key ]

Job done.

ATR

• 5. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                  LisaRedlich Level 1

Thank you so much!  That was very helpful... I think I must have some other problem going on.  I started rendering small segments and saved after each one.  After I was about 8 minutes into the video, and had saved after each segment rendered, Adobe crashed.  When I restarted it, it appears none of the rendering was saved - everything that was previously red is red again.  Any ideas?

• 6. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

The general consideration is where these previews are being saved to as per the Edit Menu/Preference/Scratch Disks/Video Preview. Is there enough free space at that location to accept these preview files which can have a large file size? Please check that out. These files can create performance problems if they are allowed to pile up from project to project.

Then there is another issue that tracks the Premiere Elements versions from time to time. The issue is finding an orange line over the Timeline content when you reopen a saved/closed project that was saved/closed with a rendered Timeline (green line). The puzzlement has been that, in spite of the appearance of "unrendered", the previews that were generated originally are alive and well in their hard drive save location. My feeling on this situation is, if you know the file was alright before, move on. If you need to be assured of the best possible preview in this opened project, then render the Timeline content now with the orange line, either all or partially by setting the gray tabs of the WorkArea bar.

The preview files are for SD project, DV AVI; for HD project, MPEG2.mpg accompanied by a .xmp file. That is true whether the file rendered is a still or video,

Bottom Line: Check out the Scratch Disk locations and how much space is available at the place to which they have been directed. Confirm the location for each and visit there to see what has piled up there. Do you find your rendered previews that you thought were not saved?

We will be watching for further developments.

If the crashes persist, we may need to dig deeper into

a. computer resources

b. whether latest version of QuickTime is installed

c. whether the program is being run as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

d. other

Thanka for the follow up.

ATR

• 7. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                      LisaRedlich Level 1

It appears that there is plenty of space.  When you go to that scratch disk it shows 380G of space and it looks like my project file is just over 1G.  I tried to publish/share to see if that would work rather than continuing to try to render it, and I got the message "error compiling movie. Unknown error" at about 52%.  I've tried several times tonight and it made it to a little over 70% a couple of times.  I will check my version of QuickTime and update that.  I should be the administrator - it's a personal PC and I'm the only one that uses it.  Any idea what that error could indicate?

• 8. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

Good idea to check to assure that the User Account that you are using specifically shows Administrator in the account description. What you can do is right click the Premiere Elements desktop icon and click on Run As Administrator. Please let us know the results from updating QuickTime to its latest version.

For that error compiling movie, we will look deeper into the make up of the Timeline content. Always good to expand the Timeline content with the += slider over the Timeline and look for gaps, slivers/leftover scattered within the tracks. Typically these leftovers present as very thin vertical black lines scattered about.

What did you select under Publish+Share/?

We need to go through details starting from

a. Properties of video, photos, and whatever you used for your Timeline content

b. What project preset you or the project set

c. Results from inspecting the Timeline content close up.

d. Choice of export and details of the settings.

Did you ever give a description of your computer operating system...Windows 7 or 8 64 bit? How much installed RAM and how much free hard drive space? Is all your free hard drive space on the Local Disc C? Or, are you working with supplemental external hard drives?

Thanks for the follow up. Looking forward to working with you to resolve these issues.

ATR

• 9. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                          LisaRedlich Level 1

I am back in and running as administrator.  I can't tell any difference than when I was doing it before just by opening it from the start menu.  I am running Windows Vista - I use this software frequently to make short videos with just a few video clips and images for auditions.  My daughter is using it again this year to create a National History Day project.  She used it last year to create a project of the same magnitude - 10 minutes long with 300-400 images, audio files, video clips and music. 

I have a Dell Inspiron 518 with 4.00 GB of RAM and a 32 bit operating system.  I have 375GB of free space and it is all on the Local Disc C.  There are no supplemental hard drives other than the back-up drive I use.

I don't know what you mean about the project preset?  When I tried to publish/share, I selected Computer/MPEG and didn't change anything else except where to save the file.

While I was searching, I cleaned up my C drive and disabled a couple of start-up programs to see if that would help.

I can't find any slivers - I have spread it out where everything is really big and I don't see anything extra lurking.  I really, really appreciate your help!

• 10. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

For Error - Compiling Movie, this might help: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4172254#4172254

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

Thanks for checking into the suggestions.

If you are running Premiere Elements 11 on Windows Vista 32 bit (4 GB installed RAM and 375 GB free hard drive space), you are not really getting the most out of Premiere Elements 11, especially when you are dealing with those larger projects.

If Premiere Elements 11 is run specifically on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, it is a 64 bit application. That has great rewards because as such it can take advantage of the 64 bit resources. In your present situation, Premiere Elements 11 is running as a 32 bit application in your Vista 32 bit and as such has all the limitation of 32 bit (maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which typically 3 GB of that or less are available. You can get a lot done in spite of that but you have to conserve your resources on the go. In the larger problems it is going to be difficult. But, you must define your limits and move forward accordingly. What works for you.

1. Watch out for pile ups of preview files in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder and conformed audio in the Media Cache in that same local (by default in Documents). Clean out the conformed video via Edit Menu/Preferences/Media.

2. If possible, try to work with an external hard drive formatted NTFS (not FAT32) and point Scratch Disks and media storage there to free up your internal hard drive.

3. Setting up the project is very important. Premiere Elements 11 takes over the task of setting the project preset. Sometimes it does it OK. Sometimes not. For those not times, you set the project preset yourself manually via File Menu/New/Project before you import your media into the project.

4. You export choices are import. Often the default setting are the best, but there are opportunities to fine tune the export settings.

We can talk about this some more tomorrow. It is pushing 12:30 am where I am.

Lots of details but it comes together.

ATR

• 12. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

After I submitted my latest post, I noticed that Hunt posted a link to an Adobe Document on compiling error in Premiere Pro.

Since Adobe has written a document specific to Premiere Elements Compiling Error, you may want to read the Premiere Elements Compiling Error document since you are working with Premiere Elements and not Premiere Pro.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/error-error-compiling-movie-render.html

I prefer not to start with similar documents when the specific documents exist.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                  LisaRedlich Level 1

The document didn't address my error which is unknown.  I talked to a friend who always helps me with my PC and he said it won't recognize any  more RAM even if I put it in. I'm stuck with trying to make what I have work until I can buy a new PC and upgrade.  Her project has to be finished by tomorrow night, so I'm stuck working with what I have.  Oddly enough, when I started digging through the files, there is one older version of it that was actually saved as an MPEG even though I got the error.  My current plan is to let her keep working on the project through the crashes and then try to find someone that has a version that I could use to publish it until I get a new one.  Any ideas if a Kinko/FedEx might have this software?  And if I do that, what do I need to watch out for?  If I just copy the files from the Adobe folder and the media files, will it work like that?

I am open to any suggestions - including calling that number for $39?  Has anyone done that?  Do they help?

• 14. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for that PrE-specific Adobe KB Article. I have added that link.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

If you want to save your Premiere Elements project to finish it off on another version of Premiere Elements on another computer with more resources

1. The version of Premiere Elements on the second computer needed to be the same or later than what you have now.

2. You want to use the Project Archiver (Copy option) to save this project. This route will put the project file (project.prel) and all its assets (including source media) into a folder named Copied. You can transfer that Copied Folder to a USB Flash Drive for transfer to a second computer.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

See File Menu/Project Archiver (with its Archive and Copy options). Use Copy Option.

Let us know if Premiere Elements in its present computer environment will allow you to use the Project Archiver for this purpose or whether the program crashes in trying to use this feature.

Just how large a project is this? What is the plan for the final product...file saved to the computer hard drive, burn to disc DVD, AVCHD, or Blu-ray or other?

We will be watching for updates when you get the time.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...

If you post a list of what is in this Timeline and the properties of the files (with duration) + what you see under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size, I will try to figure out if it is possible to get this done by tomorrow night.

• 16. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                        LisaRedlich Level 1

The project archiver worked, it let me save everything and it's just over 4GB.  The plan for the final product is to burn to DVD so she can turn it in as a project.  This is what the project settings show:

Editing Mode HD 1080i (grayed out, can't change)

Timebase (29.97 frames/second (grayed out, can't change)

Frame Size 1920

horizontal 1080

Pixel Aspect Ratio Square Pixels (1.0) grayed out

Fields Upper Field First (grayed out)

Display Format 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode

Title Safe Area 20 % horizontal 20 % vertical

Action Safe Area 10 % horizontal 10% vertical

Sample Rate 48000 Hz (grayed out)

Display Format Audio Samples

There are so many things on this timeline it would be really hard to list - everytime it loads the media I think there are between 300-400 video clips, photos and narration.

Any idea where I could find a PC with this on it to rent by the hour maybe?

• 17. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

Before we give up on the present, maybe let us try one more thing. Instead of burning your Timeline to DVD-VIDEO disc, burn to folder 4.7 GB. If you can get that done successfully, I will go into detail on how to get the VIDEO_TS from the saved folder to a DVD disc with the free ImgBurn program. (Am I assuming correctly, that your error was in the burn to and not some export to file saved to hard drive?)

I still think that you could get through the issue digging into project settings and the Timeline components but that might be too time consuming.

I know of no rent a PC for this type of situation.

Do you have family or friend nearby with Windows 7 or 8 64 bit computer? If so, your best route may be to ask a favor of him/her to let you install Premiere Elements 11 on his/her computer. If the Timeline of the project is not flawed and you have the Premiere Elements 11 installation disc, this should be a quick install, open project.prel from the Copied Folder, export your Timeline to DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc.

Please review the above and see what works for you. If the project is flawed, that tends to make the choices fade.

More later.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 18. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                            LisaRedlich Level 1

I haven't been trying to burn it to a DVD yet, I've been trying to save an MPEG to my computer.  Is there another way to get it to burn to a folder without using the publish/share feature?

I haven't found anyone yet with a PC that has the software loaded.  Unfortunately, I bought version 9 years ago, and then upgraded to 11 via a download so I don't have discs to install it somewhere else.  Otherwise we could install it on my daughter's laptop although it is also 32 bit with 4G of RAM so it might not do any better.

I don't think the project is flawed, but I may be kidding myself   I use this software frequently, just not with projects this size.  If you know of an option to burn to a folder other than publish/share, that would be very helpful!

Lisa

• 19. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

See if you can do this with your present Timeline and Premiere Elements 11.

You can try this with or without menus.

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

then instead of using "disc", set the burn to: to Folder (4.7 GB).

In the burn dialog, put a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"

Then click burn and see if that goes to completion successfully.

If it does then you are in a great situation.

We will be watching for the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                LisaRedlich Level 1

Ok, I tried doing the burn to disc and it made it to 92% and then it shows transcoding error.  Any idea what that means?

• 21. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

Do you have stop markers on the Timeline?

If so, is there one at the end of the last item on the Timeline?

If so, please remove it since it is not needed and can be the cause of this type of problem.

If none of this applies to your present situation, please let us know and we will think about what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 22. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                    LisaRedlich Level 1

How do you get rid of the stop marker once it's on there?  I've been moving it around trying to render segments...

• 23. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

Just an after thought checking...did you do the Publish+Share/Disc/DVD with burn to: disc or Folder (4.7 GB)?

ATR

• 24. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                        LisaRedlich Level 1

Yes, that's what I did.  I have tried it a second time after moving that stop marker all the way to the end of the timeline (not the end of the project) and it only made it to 67% and then stalled.

• 25. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

That stop marker may be the cause of most of these problems.

To get rid of one specific stop marker, right click that stop marker at the Timeline level and select "clear menu marker".

If you want to get rid of all the menu markers on the Timeline, right click one and select "Clear All Menu Markers".

Also, now that we know that you are using menu markers, check the spacing between them, all of them.

Two menu markers cannot occupy the same spot on the Timeline. Leave a few frames gap between them in placement. Expand the Timeline with that +- slider to get a closer look at the situation.

We will be watching for the results. You do not want any stop markers at the end of the project content.

ATR

• 26. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                            LisaRedlich Level 1

Thanks ATR - I'm not using menu markers.  I didn't know what those things were called that you had me using to render small segments of the video last night.  I have the spread apart all the way back to the beginning and at the end of the project, not at the end of the timeline.  When I right click on them, there is not an option to clear anything.  Is that how it should be?

Lisa

• 27. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                              LisaRedlich Level 1

I am at my wits end with this thing...  I downloaded Premiere Elements 11 onto my work laptop which is Windows 7, 64 bit thinking she could finish the project on it using the archived files that I copied.  I downloaded the software, installed Quicktime, restarted and I'm still getting an error that says "Adobe Premiere Elements 11 has stopped working"  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Please close the program.  My options are close the program and debug the program.  If I click debug the program it asks me what to debug it with and I have no idea.  Is there any chance you could just call me to talk through this?  I appreciate all of the help  you have given me!

• 28. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

Were you thinking about those gray tabs in the WorkArea Bar when I asked about stop markers? Those gray tabs are the ones that Hunt demo'd back in his post (2). If you were, that was the good and the bad news. You cannot delete the gray tabs; you just adjust them to span the area of the Timeline for specific Timeline rendering. You also use them if you want to export only a portion of the Timeline, not the whole. Then you set those gray tabs to span area for export + you put a check mark next to Share WorkArea Bar Only in the export settings. For forget all that for now. Nothing to delete. No Stop Marker problems.

Back to the present situation...let us see if resources are holding you back. Make a copy of your present project...File Menu/Save A Copy. Then work from the copy. Delete 1/2 the project, either the first half or the last half. See if that burns to disc or folder. Then from another copy, repeat using the half that you did not use in the first test. Determine if both or only one of those tests burns to folder or desk.

Then let us see what we have. We may be able to rule in or out a duration issue and/or offending component issue via this route, but we do not have all that much time to explore and experiment. Let us hope we can hit something that will remedy this situation without seeking a computer with more resources.

More later.

ATR

• 29. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

Sorry I did not see you latest post earlier. When I submitted my latest post, I did not see your post on the Windows 7 64 bit try.

Here is the check list

1. You have the latest very of QuickTime installed on your Windows 7 64 bit with your Premiere Elements 11. Good.

2. Are you running Premiere Elements 11 as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges? Right click the Premiere Elements 11 desktop icon and select Run As Administrator.

3. If you can get into a new project, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and make sure that they are directed to a save location with lots of hard drive space.

4. Next, we are going to delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. In Windows 7 64 bit, it is found

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder should be the Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so you can see the complete path. If this does not help, then delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

5. Also, the video card driver needs to be looked at. Verify that it is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card. Check the Device Manager/Display Adapter/your video card listing to see the dating on the driver.

7. If all else above does not get things going in the right direction, then go for a complete uninstall/reinstall of Premiere Elements 11.

a. In the open project, Deactivate via Help Menu/Deactivate. Close the project and the program.

b. Uninstall via the usual Control Panel route.

c. If possible, run the ccleaner (regular and registry parts) http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

d. Reinstall Premiere Elements 11 with firewalls and anti-virus off.

I will be at the computer for the next few hours and will be watching for further developments.

Do not give up.

ATR

• 30. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                                    LisaRedlich Level 1

I can't get into a new project running as administrator.  I am trying to find the file called Prefs and I can't find it anywhere.  I've located the Adobe Premiere Elements 11 folder, could it be called something else?  Would you call me, [Personal data removed] or I will call you if you can help?

• 31. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

Unfortunately I cannot exchange troubleshooting calls. But, I think we can work out the details OK in this thread. Let us try. Please remove your telephone number so that you will not be hit by nuisances. You can contact me via the private message system here if need be.

Premiere Elements 11 needs to be run as Run As Adminstrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. You should be able to right click the desktop icon for Premiere Elements 11 and select Run As Administrator. Have you done that? You should know because, after you do that set, you should be getting a pop up everytime you open the program asking permission to let Adobe in.

If you are not finding that Prefs file, it is probably because your Folder Options are not set to show hidden files, folders, and drives.

a. Click on Start Button to see the Search Field directly above it. In the Search Field, type in Folder Options. Click on Folder Options which probably appears at the top of that left column. In the Folder Options dialog, click on the View Tab to reveal its options. Scroll to find "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives" and select it.

b. Then follow the path that I gave you previously for finding that Prefs file and the folder that it exists in.

Is this laptop in regular use so that you know that it is in good working condition?

Do look into your video card status. Have you been getting any messages about display problems?

After you installed Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit, did you plug a USB Flash Drive with your Copied Folder into this computer? Did you open your project.prel by right clicking that project.prel in the Copied Folder, selecting Open With, and the Premiere Elements 11? How far into the project do you get before you are forced to close the project/program?

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

• 32. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                                        LisaRedlich Level 1

I can't figure out how to delete my phone number from this thing, dang it...

On the new installation, I did try to run it as administrator.  I got the pop up box and the home screen appears.  When I go to new project, I get the error message that I mentioned above.

I am displaying all of the hidden files, folders and drives just like you described - I just don't see a file or folder labeled as Prefs.

It is a fairly new laptop, maybe 2 1/2 years old?  It's my work PC so I'm sure there are firewalls, etc.  Probably shouldn't have installed the software on it but I'm running out of options.  It's in good condition, I use it every day for work.  I haven't gotten any messages about display problems, and the company continually runs updates on all of the components and software so I doubt there is a driver problem.  It's an HP ProBook 6460b.

On a better note, when I followed an earlier suggestion of cutting the project into halves, I was able to get each half to save as an MPEG.  So should I just have her continue to work on each half and then put them together in a new project when each half is finished?  Is that the best option at this point?  I will be up a while... she has to get this finished tonight.

• 33. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

LisaRedlich,

The telephone number has been removed for your privacy.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 35. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

Great news about the 1/2's getting exported to .mpeg file. Are you satified with the quality of that file? If not, let me know what settings you used and I will make some suggestions. Was it the Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with presets = NTSC DVD Standard or NTSC DVD Widescreen? Those can be brought into a new project in Premiere Elements 11 or 12.

About that Pref file....are you seeing the whole User path including AppData and Roaming? If not, need to look for those Folder Options and the Show Hidden....option. When you get to the 11.0 Folder, it should look like the following screenshot. Note the path shown at the top of the screenshoot.

Lisa.JPG

Did you ever find the dating on the video card driver? The status of that driver needs to be ruled in or out as factor here.

It looks like the 1/2 results will be our safety net. But, if we can get the bonus of getting Premiere Elements 11 to work on your Windows 7 64 bit laptop that would be great.

It is about 12:30 am where I am. I will be at the computer for about another 1/2 hour. Your news was good. Better news coming. Please keep that thought.

Thanks.

ATR

• 36. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

I will be calling it a day in a few minutes.

First thing in the light of day, I will check for your progress in your thread.

Wishing you success with your project.

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting.

ATR

• 37. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                                                LisaRedlich Level 1

Well, we ended up breaking it into three pieces, but we got the whole draft put together last night (or should I say this morning at 2:00 a.m.)!  I couldn't have done it without your help!  Now, for the final product, I would love some input on how to fix blurry images, text, etc.  If I uploaded the documentary to YouTube would you be able to give my daughter some hints on how to improve the quality in the clips?  Some of the footage is just old and in it's best format is blurry and grainy (it was filmed in 1948) and those we aren't concerned about.  But some of the images she downloaded from the internet that looked fine now look blurry in the project.  I don't want to break a rule by posting a YouTube link, so I'll wait to hear from you if it's okay before I do that.  Thanks again for all your help!

Lisa

• 38. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

LisaRedlich

Thanks for the good news.

I do not see a problem posting the link to your YouTube video. However, if there is anything of a private nature

in it, I would advise against. If that is the case, you can upload your video to YouTube as Unlisted and send me the link via the Private Message system here. You or your daughter and I can exchange comments unofficially in the private messages, and then later place some public information in the thread to help others with similar problems.

As for blurry, quality of the original of course is a major factor. But avoid scaling up your lower resolution images. Scaling down OK, scaling up can lead to problems, pixelation and such. There is a sharpen in the fx Effects which could be applied to the images. With text, often increasing the font size and finding a good contrasting background helps.

Please think about the above, and we will go with whatever works for you.

Thanks for the follow up at this busy time for you.

ATR

• 39. Re: Setting Work Area - Rendering - Crashes
                                                                                    LisaRedlich Level 1

I can't figure out how to send a private message, so I'll just share the link here.  There is nothing personal in the project, it's just a National History Day project.  This is her first draft of the full documentary - she will have an opportunity to tweak and enhance it over the next couple of weeks before the final is due.  Things that she already knows she needs to do include increasing the narration sound levels on many clips and re-recording a couple that are harder to understand.  What's strange is that some of the images she used that look great in previews and have high resolution look very grainy/pixelated in this output version.  All of her images were downloaded from websites and all of the text on top of the images was typed in on Adobe using the text menu at the top of the program.  It's weird how some appear very clear and others are faint/blurry when they were all created with the same tools.

Any suggestions are welcome, and we both really appreciate your help!

Lisa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBlTwuGDcQQ&feature=youtu.be

1 2 Previous Next