6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 8:12 PM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 running very slowly

ambernikki

I have been working on my first project on Premier Elements 11. After rendering, I now see an alert when the project first opens "Premiere Elements is running very low on system memory. Save the project and proceed with caution. The project also becomes non responsive and I have to shut it down. Any fixes or ideas?

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 running very slowly
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Premiere Elements FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 running very slowly
            A.T. Romano Level 7

ambernikki

What computer operating system are you running your Premiere Elements 11 on?

What are the properties of your source media that you have on that Expert workspace Timeline, especially when you are getting those low memory messages? You can get that information from a MediaInfo properties readout or we could try to figure that out from the brand/model of your camera and its settings.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

We need to find out such things as video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, file extension, pixel aspect ratio, duration, etc.

What is the description of your computer from the point of view of installed/available RAM and free hard drive space. Have you set up the Scratch Discs (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks)? Is your computer optimized..defragmented...etc. Often a run through of ccleaner helps for computer optimization. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Have you used other versions of Premiere Elements or is Premiere Elements 11 your first experience with any very of Premiere Elements?

What is your intended export for the Timeline content that you are building?

Let us start here and then we can decide what next.

We will watch for your details and then we will troubleshooting strategy based on you report.

Thanks.

ATR

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 running very slowly
              VDOSurfer Level 3

If your project has HD clips and heavy effects applied to it (Image Stabilizer etc.), this can happen on a 32-bit machine. No solutions here, just pointing out possible problems albeit out-of-turn

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 running very slowly
                ambernikki Level 1

I am running Windows XP Home version 2002 with service pack 3

Intel Core

2 duo CPU

2.66 GHz

213 GHz, 2.00 GB RAM

273 GB free space, 465 GB total

I am running Adobe Premiere 11 with no updates. Just bought the program and this is the first time I have tried it, first project.

I want to write this to a DVD. LiteOn DVDRWLH20A1P

No other software or programs are running.

I am using a Sony HD Handycam HDR CX130 with 3.3 megapixels

Recording at High quality FH with frame rate 60i at HD setting

My camera is a Nikon D501

Image Quality JPEG Normal

Image size L 3008x20

Everything was working fine until a rendered part of the videos. I have been working in the Quick mode.

The current project is about 42 minutes long, mostly photos with a few videos throughout. I have used transitions between every photo. Mostly all photos are using pan/zoom. I have one speech bubble. No audio at this point.

"Premier Elements is running very low on system memory. Please save your project and proceed with caution." is the exact warning. It shows up just after the project has loaded.

Thank you for any assistance.

ambernikki

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 running very slowly
                  ambernikki Level 1

I am running Windows XP Home version 2002 with service pack 3

Intel Core

2 duo CPU

2.66 GHz

213 GHz, 2.00 GB RAM

273 GB free space, 465 GB total

I am running Adobe Premiere 11 with no updates. Just bought the program and this is the first time I have tried it, first project.

I want to write this to a DVD. LiteOn DVDRWLH20A1P

No other software or programs are running.

I am using a Sony HD Handycam HDR CX130 with 3.3 megapixels

Recording at High quality FH with frame rate 60i at HD setting

My camera is a Nikon D501

Image Quality JPEG Normal

Image size L 3008x20

Everything was working fine until a rendered part of the videos. I have been working in the Quick mode.

The current project is about 42 minutes long, mostly photos with a few videos throughout. I have used transitions between every photo. Mostly all photos are using pan/zoom. I have one speech bubble. No audio at this point.

"Premier Elements is running very low on system memory. Please save your project and proceed with caution." is the exact warning. It shows up just after the project has loaded.

Thank you for any assistance.

ambernikki

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 running very slowly
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ambernikki

Thanks for your helpful details.

The bottom line is that, based on the description of your computer, it does not have enough resources for the HD projects that you described.

That 2 GB installed RAM is much too low. And since you are running Premiere Elements 11 on Windows XP (presumed 32 bit), your max supported installed RAM is going to be 4 GB of which typically 3 GB or less of that are available. That 2 GB should be upgraded to a total of 4 GB. If you had Premiere Elements 11 running on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit , it would be a 64 bit application that would be able to take full advantage of increased resources.

For what you have, you will need to keep the pixel dimensions to the not to exceed of 1000 x 750 for SD projects, and 2200 x 1238 for HD projects. But those HD projects are more resource demanding, resources that you do not appear to have. Your low memory message support this thought.

I would suggest that you increase the installed RAM to 4 GB and free up as much free hard drive space as possible and then define your own limits on how far you can go with your projects other than SD.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR