1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 6:14 AM by resdesign

Copying or duplicating a movieclip symbol

mentlity Level 1

I ran into a problem, I have a movieclip symbol which is on the maintimeline in a scene. In the next scene I need the exact same elelments in the previous movieclip but in this scene I need to animate the location back anfd forth.

I figured I would copy the mc and rename then rename the elements that made the clip.

No good as it changes the names elements from the orignal mc.

Then I tried to duplicate the mc and when I tried to rename the elements inside I get the same problem.

Just dso I'm clear here is a for instance:

original mc is called handOne, inside that clip is an image of a hand  on one line and a blinking number looping on another line.

this clip is stationary in the scene on the main timeline.

Now

I need the same exact clip in the next scene but this time it needs to move across the stage.

Any help?

R

• 1. Re: Copying or duplicating a movieclip symbol
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want another instance of the symbol it will get another name since you need a different ID for 2 elements in the DOM.

But if you want to duplicate the symbol to make another one slighlty different, then you duplicate in the library - not the elements panel.

If you have 2 instances of the same symbol you should be able to make them do different things without affecting the first instance.

When a symbol is played entirtely you need to reset it to the beginning if you want to use it again unless it is a looping symbol. you reset with stop(0);

Since I am not sure what you are doing, I am not sure how to advise you but I hope this helps.

1 person found this helpful