17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 11:14 AM by p35man Branched from an earlier discussion.

questions about After Effects CC (12.0.1)

p35man

Having now licensed AE, I got some errors reported due to ray shading. Reboot stopped that. Then I get random errors during app startup at the cleaning up ray tracing step. And, still no improvement on warp stab performance. I need some guidance here. Thanks...

• 1. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Why are you expecting improvements in Warp Stabilizer performance? The After Effects CC (12.0.1) update just does one thing: it makes it so that After Effects CC (12.0) can run on Mac OS X v10.9.

• 2. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
            p35man Level 1

Sorry must have misread the 12.1 feature set and and mixed it up with the 12.0.1 release. However, I am now seeing a serious degradation in warp stab performace. The Adobe Analysis Server will not run at more than 20% of CPU and neither will AE while doing warp stab analysis. Additionally, in preferences->memory and multiprocessing AE correctly reports 8 CPUs and initially showed only that 2 actual CPUs will be used. Now it shows 0 CPUs will be used with no change made by me.

• 3. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
              p35man Level 1

Additional info. New project, drag and drop a nested sequence containing clips and one adjustment layer with Three Way Color correction. Apply warp stab effect and watch it crawl.

• 4. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The Warp Stabilizer can't possibly have been affected by the 12.0.1 update, since the update includes only one change, to a library that is for an entirely different part of the application.

There are two changes that you've made: 1) going from a previous version of Mac OS to 10.9 and 2) installing the After Effects 12.0.1 update. Any change in behavior of the Warp Stabilizer would be because of #1.

That said, the Warp Stabilizer analysis in After Effects CC (12.0) and earlier has always been single-threaded; it only becomes multi-threaded in the upcoming After Effects CC (12.1) release.

Regarding your Memory & Multiprocessing questions: show a screenshot of that preference pane.

• 5. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> New project, drag and drop a nested sequence containing clips and one adjustment layer with Three Way Color correction.

Are you talking about Premiere Pro? I was presuming that you were talking about After Effects, but the above sentence makes it seem that you're talking about Premiere Pro.

• 6. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
                    p35man Level 1

I am having the problem in AE, I tested PP to see if the problem existed there and it did not. In the PP case, it appears that PP executes the warp stab itself rather than farming it out to the Analysis Server in a separate process.

Problem may very well be with Mavericks but the net result is that an interaction between Adobe software and Mavericks is causing a problem that your customers will fault Adobe for.

However, more information for you. It appears only to be a problem with a sequence that I drag and drop from PP to AE (dynamic linking). If I import the PP project into AE using File->Impot->Adobe Premiere Pro Project, warp stab runs with Adobe Analysis Server at 100% CPU and completes in a reasonable amount of time (20 minutes). Using dynamic linking I started warp stab last night after my last post and four hours later it was 50% complete and AAS was running around 10% CPU.

I was hoping for a workaround, but it now seems that I am informing Adobe of a potential problem that a bug report needs to be filed on.

Thanks for pursuing this with me. I am posting my prefs you requested next.

• 7. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
                      p35man Level 1

For reference. Dynamic link case

Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 9.04.38 AM.png

• 8. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
                        p35man Level 1

Memory and multiprocessing prefs:

Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 9.15.54 AM.png

• 9. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
                          p35man Level 1

Import Premiere Pro Project case:

Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 9.20.59 AM.png

• 10. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
                            p35man Level 1

Premiere Pro warp stab case:

Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 9.23.17 AM.png

• 11. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
                              p35man Level 1

Workflow to issue:

Open PP

Open AE

Drag and drop sequence from PP to AE (dynamic linking) (PP sequence is a nested set of three clips with an adjustment layer with Three Way Color correction applied)

In AE drag the sequence into the Composition panel (same result if the sequence is dragged onto the Create New Composition button)

From the Effects panel double click on Warp Stabilizer VFX (using default parameters)

Sit back and watch the crawl.

• 12. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Memory and multiprocessing prefs:

You have Premiere Pro running. It's consuming too much RAM for there to be enough left over for your background After Effects processes to run, so they are reporting that 0 of them will start. Either allocate more of your RAM to the Adobe video applications (you can safely bump the 11GB to 12GB), quit Premiere Pro, or use less RAM per background After Effects process (3GB is a good amount for 2K work; 2GB would be OK for HD work).

• 13. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
                                  p35man Level 1

Thanks, but that does not add up for me. I have 11GB reserved for Adobe apps, PP and AE are both allocating ~.5GB a piece for the project I am testing. At 3GB per background thread I should be able to use 3 cores. Even so, why do I not see 1 or 2 cores available, if I was close I would expect to lose the option on one core not all three.

• 14. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The foreground process of After Effects must always run, and it gets allocated 1.2x the allocated amount for a background process.

There is no reason to move rendering to background processes if fewer than 2 can be started.

So, the minimum RAM free for Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing at 3GB per process is 3.6GB+3GB+3GB=9.6GB.

With 11GB allowed for Adobe video applications, that leaves you 1.4GB for Premiere Pro. Premiere Pro will stake out at least 2GB for itself---more depending on what it's doing.

So, as I said, turn off Premiere Pro, raise the total allocation, or decrease the amount per background process.

• 15. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
                                      p35man Level 1

Makes sense. What does not make sense is 9.6GB (AE) + 2GB (PP) = 11.6GB plus overhead may exceed 12GB. Why do I not see that 2 cores, 8.6GB of minimum memory need, are available for background work?

Or put another way. I am currently running PP and AE. In the AE mem/multiproc prefs I have reduced RAM reserved for other apps to 3GB for testing. At 1GB per background process AE reports 6 cores available (6GB), at 2GB/back proc AE reports 3 cores available (6GB), at 3GB/back proc AE reports 0 cores available (0GB ???). I should be able to use two cores for background work in this config. Something is not right here.

Regardless, this should be a user decision not an app decision. Warn me if I am about to setup a config that can cause problems, but if I want to allocate all of my resources to what is supposed to be workflow integration between PP and AE then let me do it.

Thanks

• 16. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
                                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> but if I want to allocate all of my resources to what is supposed to be workflow integration between PP and AE then let me do it

Please read/view the resources linked to from here so that you can understand better:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/543440

• 17. Re: I can't use AE in OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)
                                          p35man Level 1

Will do, Thanks. Any thoughts on the Adobe Analysis Server issue?