7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 11:18 AM by Rik Ramsay

e-newsletter question

TPALIGHTHOUSE

How do I set up a newsletter in email format?

• 1. Re: e-newsletter question
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

In InDesign? You don't.

InDesign is not even close to being the correct tool for HTML emails. Check

out Constant Contact or Mail Chimp. They're both very inexpensive solutions

for sending out email blasts and newsletters.

• 2. Re: e-newsletter question
            TPALIGHTHOUSE Level 1

Thanks Bob.  I assumed incorrectly that, with an expensive program such as InDesign, it would include email-based publication capabilities.  With the trend toward these, InDesign may be going the way of PageMaker if it fails to keep up with the times.

I have heard a lot (of advertising) about Constant Contact but nothing about Mail Chimp.  Which one would you recommend for an 8-page (print) full-color newsletter that has a distribution of about 2000?

John W. Jerome, SPHR

Human Resources Manager

Tampa Lighthouse for the Blind, Inc.

1106 W. Platt St., Tampa, FL 33606-2142

Phone (813) 251-2407, Ext. 11; Fax (813) 254-4305

Visit our website at  <http://www.tampalighthouse.org/> www.tampalighthouse.org

This email transmission may contain material that is confidential and/or privileged under Florida statutes and is intended for delivery to only the named addressee.  Unauthorized dissemination of this information may be a violation of criminal statutes.  If you as the reader of this message are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any dissemination, distribution, copying, or further review of this message including any attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

• 3. Re: e-newsletter question
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Every tool has a purpose and email blasts is not on the list of things

you can do with InDesign.

If you bought an expensive drill at Home Depot would you declare it a

failure if it didn't work as a circular saw?

Both email services are excellent and I believe they both offer free

trials.

• 4. Re: e-newsletter question
                TPALIGHTHOUSE Level 1

Somehow I never considered InDesign to be analogous to a woodworking tool nor did I see that much of a disconnect between a print or an e-newsletter but I do appreciate your recommendations and will investigate both.  Thanks also for your prompt responses.

John W. Jerome, SPHR

Human Resources Manager

This email transmission may contain material that is confidential and/or privileged under Florida statutes and is intended for delivery to only the named addressee.  Unauthorized dissemination of this information may be a violation of criminal statutes.  If you as the reader of this message are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any dissemination, distribution, copying, or further review of this message including any attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

• 5. Re: e-newsletter question
                  Rik Ramsay Level 4

With experience of Mail Chimp, I can say it's a great piece of kit, easy to use and has great support. Not used Constant Contact before but you can run a search for both and see what others say.

I am a little curious about this:

Which one would you recommend for an 8-page (print) full-color newsletter that has a distribution of about 2000?

Where does the e-newsletter part come into this? It sounds to me like you would be better creating something this size as a PDF (InDesign can do this) and then create an email in either Mail Chimp / Constant Contact or custom code it in Dreamweaver. In the email you would have a button that downloads the PDF and above this you can include a short blurb as to why they should download the PDF.

nor did I see that much of a disconnect between a print or an e-newsletter

These are very different mediums and require different approaches. Email newsletters need to be short and to the point but they also have to be constructed and coded correctly as every email client will render if differently.

• 6. Re: e-newsletter question
                    TPALIGHTHOUSE Level 1

Rik,

Thanks for your input.  We have had a print newsletter since the 1970’s, well before the advent of the PC and desktop publishing.  We mail out around 2000 every 6 months using Non-Profit bulk mail rates.  We’re noticing many of our colleagues going to an e-newsletter that is contained within an email format.  I have thought of PDF (which is how we post it to our website), but like the ease of having the publication right there on the opening email – this seems to be the trend.  Also, since many of our readers are blind or visually impaired, accessibility with a PDF can be an issue.  Accessibility tagging is a partial solution, but I’d rather not have to jump through a bunch of extra hoops.

As far as the length goes, we wouldn’t be locked into 8 pages if we go to an e-newsletter.  We could shorten it and increase the frequency.  Thanks again for your response.

John W. Jerome, SPHR

Human Resources Manager

• 7. Re: e-newsletter question
                      Rik Ramsay Level 4

If you have a website that is controlled via a CMS, I might suggest you add this newsletter as an article on your site. Alternatively, you could create standalone web pages for each eNewsletter that you can link to from the email.

If you were to send all content via email, you would probably need to shorten it considerably but still using the tools/processes mentioned above. Now as we move into a mobile world, emails are being made responsive so even a relatively short email involves a bit of scrolling on the phone. From a marketing perspective, I would suggest using the email as a "hook" to drive visitors to your website where they can read the rest of the newsletter - if this is something your company is able to accomplish. Long emails might not be fully downloaded on open so in this sense, the shorter the better.

InDesign in any case would not be the tool for this. Any specific queries relating to email newsletter would likely be better answered in the Dreamweaver forum as these come up quite often.