3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 6:15 AM by rob day

Need help with trapping...

V. Pratt

Let's say I have a black box with a spot colored character in the box. What trap settings should I be adjusting in order to make certain that no white space exists between the black and colored character? And, is there anyway to proof the trapping set up to see if it's correct? Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Need help with trapping...
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Trapping is handled at output and it would be up to the prepress operator to choose whether to use InDesign's built-in trapping or a third party trapping application. If you know built-in trapping will be used, the trap setup is via the page's trapping preset Window>Output>Trap Presets. Trap presets can be applied to a page range via Assign Trap Preset...

You can distill a PDF that will preview InDesign's built-in traps (if you have the Acrobat PPD installed) via Print>Output>In-Rip Separations:

Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 8.59.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 8.59.19 AM.png

• 2. Re: Need help with trapping...
            V. Pratt Level 1

Rob, thanks for the prompt reply. Essentially I am the prepress operator, so I will take a look at your suggestions and see what comes of them. Thanks again - it's much appreciated...

• 3. Re: Need help with trapping...
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Right, then it's just a matter of choosing Separations and Application Built-In when you print.

Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 9.10.59 AM.png

If you don't like the default trap size and method, change them in the default trap preset