7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2014 8:16 PM by A.T. Romano

DVD Burner not found

tdjr

I have recently installed a new DVD burner on my PC however when I tried to burn a DVD from Premier Elements it states that the burner is not found.

I have however been able to burn a disc when using AVCHD as it finds the burner.

The drop down for the find burner location is alos blank and not letting me find the drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions as top what I can do to get the dvd recognised. 

• 1. Re: DVD Burner not found
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Test this... Create a DVD output to a folder on your hard drive and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc for DVD or BluRay (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

IF that works, read the below

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a disc... says Encore, but also applies to Premiere Elements and disc burning

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

• 2. Re: DVD Burner not found
            A.T. Romano Level 7

tdjr

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

How long were you using Premiere Elements with the prior DVD burner?

You might consider:

a. checking your install of the new DVD burner

and

b. Premiere Elements uninstall/reinstall, including deactivation within the program, close out of program, uninstall via Control Panel route, ccleaner run (regular and registry), reinstall.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: DVD Burner not found
              pgauba Adobe Employee

Please check "Adobe Premiere Elements burn.exe" is running in task manager or not after clicking on DVD option.

If Adobe Premiere Elements burn.exe" is there then kill that process and relaunch Premiere elements and try again.

• 4. Re: DVD Burner not found
                endfates

I recently had this problem myself and got it resolved by installing more video codecs.  Its strange that the program did not have all the codecs needed to work.  Codecs are basically language/translation info for various media types.  This did the trick, not the 10+ other ideas that people had that did not work for me.  Hope this helps.

• 5. Re: DVD Burner not found
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

endfates

This is now the 4th old post (this time only 1 year old instead of 3 to 4 like the others) in which you are sharing the same generalized report on what worked for you with a burner recognition problem. In each of your other threads that I am finding, I am asking for the following same supplemental information from you, information which I feel is important to your shared content. So, I repeat

endfates

What version of Premiere Elements are you working with and on what computer operating system is it running?

With what type of burner are you working where you had this burner not recognized issue - Blu-ray/DVD/CD or just DVD/CD?

What specific video codecs did you find it necessary to install beyond what was provided for by the program, QuickTime, Windows Media Player,

and the usual assortment of players?

Besides "burner not recognized", did you have any "media not present" issues as well?

This information would be important since there is a 4 year gap between since the last entry in this thread (2010) and your post in this thread

tonight (2014).

Thank you.

ATR

Again, I point out that there are negative as well as positive aspects to the try this and try that "codecs". That is why I feel the requested information is important to the serial generalized messages that you are posting one after the other tonight in 1 to 4 year old threads.

ATR

• 6. Re: DVD Burner not found
                    endfates Level 1

To answer your questions ATR.

I am using Premiere Elements 10 on a Windows 8.1 system.  Windows has been able to recognize the DVD burner ever since I got it, however, Premiere had trouble with this.  On an unrelated issue while trying to convert some videos - it was realized that the additional video codecs I downloaded addressed Premiere's issue of not finding a DVD burner despite having tried to do all the steps found on these forums. 

I have both a DVD Burner and Blu-Ray burner.  I have to reconnect the Blu-Ray buner to see if it works, and expect it to do so after realizing the codecs was the missing answer.

I used at least 2 codecs - VLC and DirectShow.  DirectShow was mentioned in one of Premiere's explainations or elsewhere and it hinted that additional codecs may have been needed.  These codecs were used in addition to the conversion software i used. 

As for your other question - windows device manager and elsewhere in the system reported no issues.  All were present and accounted for.  I even removed the DVD drive from windows manager as that was one of the solutions I found - didn't work for me.

I do realize that this is a 4 year old thread, but figured that the missing codecs may help fix the problem as I read several posts with no success reported.  Most problems were addressed to versions before or after what I had (10.0) so it seemed relevant as we all were trying to find a solution not a work around. 

• 7. Re: DVD Burner not found
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

endfates

Thanks for the follow up with very important additional details of your particular situation and the solution that you found for it.

The no burner recognized and no media present situations are frustrating for the Premiere Elements burn to users.

In view of its significance to all, we will continue to look for reports of solutions for this matter and keep in mind your contribution

to determine if it works for others as it has for you.

Best wishes

ATR