5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2013 11:49 AM by scottonnob

Pathfinder

scottonnob Level 1

I'm having difficulty flowing text into boxes joined using Pathfinder. It keeps clipping the first line that should flow into the second box. The last line from a rectangular box flowed into a wider box stays cropped, as though the narrower box continues into the wide box. I've included a screen shot of the same text flowed into different boxes, one linked, the other joined:"The single penetrating, distinct. . ." line will not flow into and all the way across the wider box. Why?Screen shot 2013-10-22 at 10.18.45 PM.png

• 1. Re: Pathfinder
          Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

Have you checked for Snap to Baseline Grid turned on or off?

Have you gone into Text Frame Options and looked for Baseline Options > First Baseline ...

Are you using a paragraph style with explicit leading; not auto leading?

• 2. Re: Pathfinder
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Looks to me like there isn't actually enough space for the line to continue. emember that the leading slug is taller than the ascenders or caps and the whole ting needs to fit.

• 3. Re: Pathfinder
              scottonnob Level 1

There does seem to be an issue with leading, but that isn't the entire problem. The line will not reach the top of the box, no matter what I do. I looked Baseline Options: First Baseline, and it's on 'ascent' and set at 0. Although, I have no idea what that means. And, if I'm understanding the question, Baseline Grid is off, not shown. It's just that, if I create a text box and fill it with text, the first line nudges up nicely to the top of the box. But with these Pathfinder joined boxes, the first line isn't really at the top, and I can't figure out why. And it means I'm unable to place the text precisely in the document, as I am with regular text boxes. Thanks for the assistance!

• 4. Re: Pathfinder
                scottonnob Level 1

Additionally, to answer another of your questions, the size of the box has no affect. Making the box bigger, as in taller, doesn't change anything. Even when there is a great deal of empty space at the bottom of the box, the first line still doesn't flow.

• 5. Re: Pathfinder
                  scottonnob Level 1

I was up all night fiddling with my documents and, as it turns out, you were both exactly correct. It's the nature of leading that causes the issue. Thank you for your help.