1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 7:26 AM by a C student

Random word "graphic" in NVDA

CharlesBelov Level 1

I'm getting the word "graphic" popping up "randomly" in text that has traveled from Adobe Illustrator through Adobe InDesign to PDF. 

Steps: 

1. Our graphic designer created the following sentence (among others) in Illustrator on a Mac:   over the next six fiscal years, and forms the basis for the agency’s two-year capital and operating budgets  There is no line break between "the" and "basis" in the original. It is possible that kerning was done but we were not able to verify that. 

2. They saved it as an EPS and brought it into InDesign as a graphic.

3. They saved from InDesign as a tagged PDF.

4. I opened the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.5 in Windows.

5. I read the sentence aloud using NVDA. NVDA reads:  over the next six fiscal years, and forms the graphic basis for the agency’s two-year capital and operating budgets 

The word "graphic" pops up elsewhere in the middle of other text as well.  What would be causing this and is there any way to fix it without having to go in and replace it with an actual graphic that has a space as the alt text?

• 1. Re: Random word "graphic" in NVDA
          a C student Level 3

It sounds like the rather complicated conversion process introduced some graphical elements into the text. You should be able to find the graphics by drilling down in the Content pane in Acrobat. Drag each graphic out if the Text item to its proper place - probably an Artifact container.

Hope this helps.

a 'C' student