8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2013 4:26 AM by Jacob Bugge RSS

Making a stamp-like perforation....

Marc Verbeek

I'm a relative novice in Illustrator. As a matter of fact, I'm using InDesign to make a logo, and than export in to EPS. This must be quite insulting to you guys!

But here's the thing. I try to make a stamp-like perforation on this attached logo, but I'm running into some problems:

- the perforation holes must be transparent

- as you can see, the gap between the holes in the corner are a bit awkward...

- when I watch the logo in Illustrator, sometimes a thin hairline is seen at the borders of the frame.

- how can I turn the font into outlines in Illustrator (in InDesgin it's easy).

I hope someone can help me. There must be some trick to help me out.

P.S. Is it possible to add the "original"Illustrator file to a discussion like this?

Kind regards!

Marc Verbeek

ScreenShot002.jpg

• 1. Re: Making a stamp-like perforation....
          pixxxel schubser Community Member

Type > Create Outlines

The stamp you can build like this (look carefully):

Stamp1.png

Stamp2.png

Stamp3.png

Stamp4.png

Stamp5.png

At the end you should Object > Expand Appearance or Object > Flatten Transparency ... and use the pathfinder for the final result.

Have fun

• 2. Re: Making a stamp-like perforation....
            Marc Verbeek Community Member

Dear pixxxel schubster,

Thanks for your reply! I'm afraid you go a bit too fast for... I'm less than a novice I'm afraid. But maybe it will help when I show you the file, you can follow the link below.

This logo is based on another logo without the holes so they both have to measure exactly 60 x 35 mm, the perforation holes are 2,5 mm in diameter:

- but they have to be transparent. So when placed upon a coloured background i.e. a photograph, the holes must fill with the background colour

- the holes have to be half holes, because when you tear  a stamp on its perforation, you end up with only half the perforation on the edge of your stamp.

I'm already regretting this whole stamp idea, but perhaps for you this is just a piece of cake.

I sincerely hope you can help me further.

Kind regards,

Marc Verbeek

• 3. Re: Making a stamp-like perforation....

Dear pixxxel schubster,

I managed to rebuild the logo in Illustrator as I had done before in Indesign (Pathfinder > Minus font > voila!).

MPG logo PMS 5415.jpg

Thanks again for your prompt reply!

Marc Verbeek

• 4. Re: Making a stamp-like perforation....
                Jacob Bugge CommunityMVP

Marc,

Normally in stamps, there is a distance between the semicircular cutouts, and the corners are without cutouts, as pixxxel schubser shows in the screenshots.

Apart from that, in many cases (such as this one) there are mutliple ways of doing things with the help of Illy.

• 5. Re: Making a stamp-like perforation....
                  Steve Fairbairn Community Member

Picture 3.png

Draw your perforation. Many ways to do this but be sure to have gaps between the holes.

Your holes are far too close together.

The end product (black dots in this case) should be expanded and made into a compound path.

The use Pathfinder (panel) Minus Front to subtract the dots from the background.

• 6. Re: Making a stamp-like perforation....

Dear Jacob and Steve,

Thanks for your input. I made some adjustments and I'm pleased with the result. Thanks!

By the way: I did not use the line-function but made separate rounded object which I distributed evenly horizontally and vertically. Than used Patfinder > Minus Front.

MPG logo PMS 5415.jpg

• 7. Re: Making a stamp-like perforation....
                      Steve Fairbairn Community Member

I did not use the line-function but made separate rounded object

Glad you got it sorted out.

Like I said, there are many ways to produce a dotted line.

Probably the easiest way is to start off with a dashed line using round caps and a dash length of 0, adjusting the gap as required.

But in this case you would have to expand the stroke anyway, thereby producing ‘separate rounded objects’.

• 8. Re: Making a stamp-like perforation....
                        Jacob Bugge CommunityMVP

Marc,

Whichever way you create the perforation hole circles (Dashed Line, Pattern Brush, actual circles, whatever), you can also just select eveything and in the Transparnecy palette flyout tick Make Opacity Mask, with both Clip and Invert Mask unticked (presuming you use black, Invert Mask for white).

In that way, you can still edit the constituent parts.

By the way, I have realized that postage stamps come with different corners, without or with different amounts of parts bitten off.