7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2013 4:10 PM by Wilderness08

How to get better resolution on Blu-ray (1080/60i)

Wilderness08

I'm experimenting with my new AG-AC160A camcorder and have been shooting youth hockey games in AVCHD mode, 1080/60i, 1/120 shutter, manual gain and white balance set appropriately, and florescent scene file setting due to lighting in rink. I have PP CS5 and am disappointed with the relative lack of HD-crispness when the Blu-ray output is played on my HD LED set. I used the above settings based on recommendations I saw in the forum somewhere. Any suggestions on what I can try differently? Thank you.

• 1. Re: How to get better resolution on Blu-ray (1080/60i)
          Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

What are  your sequence settings and exporter settings. If you're using system presets, simply citing their names will suffice. If you've customized anything, screenshots of the Sequence Settings and/or Export Settings>Video tab will help.

• 2. Re: How to get better resolution on Blu-ray (1080/60i)
            Wilderness08 Level 1

Here are a couple of screen captures for the sequence. To create the BD, I'm not using File > Export. Instead, I have been using File > Adobe Dynamic Link > Send to Encore. Within Encore, I use Basic Tab with Authoring Mode set to Blu-ray, and then the default Blu-ray settings.PP CS5 01.jpgPP CS5 02.jpg

• 3. Re: How to get better resolution on Blu-ray (1080/60i)
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your sequence is set to the wrong framerate (timebase)

Your camera shoots 60i which means the framerate is 30 (29,97) FPS.

The video preview is also odd.

You can use one of the standard avchd presets, that will set you up nicely.

I would not use Dynamic Link as i find you have controle over what you are doing.

Use the Media Encoder and export to H.264 BluRay upper field.

Import that into Encore, make menu and burn.

• 4. Re: How to get better resolution on Blu-ray (1080/60i)
                SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

To elaborate on Ann's great advice, the Sequence preset you should be using is AVCHD 1080i30 (60i).

A good way to start out with the correct sequence is to import your clips and then drag one onto the "New Item" icon at lower right of Project Bin. This will create a new sequence to match the source material automatically. As Ann mentioned, you have a non-HD preview format, so if you rendered the timeline to green, and checked "Use Previews" on the final export, then your Blu-ray could have "SD quality" footage in it!!

Curious why the 1/120 shutter, hoping to get better action motion?

If you have a current timeline using the incorrect settings, go ahead and add a NEW Sequence with correct settings, open original sequence and "Select All" which is CRTL + A, then CTRL + C to Copy. Then go to the proper AVCHD sequence and Ctrl + V to Paste entire contents. You will now have the edited sequence moved into correct sequence settings. Now use Export and in AME choose "H.264 Blu-ray" and choose the 1080i preset and export, then use results in Encore. The Blu-ray should look excellent when done correctly.

When exporting from AME, do NOT check the box for "Use Previews", as you want to encode direct from original source and skip any intermediate render clips.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to get better resolution on Blu-ray (1080/60i)
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dont think CS5 had this feature: create new sequence from clip by dragging into the New Item icon.

• 6. Re: How to get better resolution on Blu-ray (1080/60i)
                    Wilderness08 Level 1

It took me a couple of hours to slog my way through figuring a couple of things out to get the disk authored, like importing audio which I wasn't having to do with Dynamic Link, but the results were worth it. It looks amazing on the 60" LED HDTV. Thanks!!!

• 7. Re: How to get better resolution on Blu-ray (1080/60i)
                      Wilderness08 Level 1

Thank you very much for the added help! To answer your question, yes, the shutter speed was set at 1/120 to capture the action on a hockey rink. Do you have any thoughts on that as it looks good now, but I'm always open to new ideas.