3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2013 3:49 AM by Laubender

Crop Data To Frames

Florian Pennetzdorfer

Hi,

I use some PDF files that I place in my document. Sometimes I only need a special part of the PDF, so I adjust the frame accordingly. So far so good.

When I export the document to PDF, it looks okay at first glance. But apparently the cropped parts of my source-PDFs are still there (invisible but selectable ... see screenshot).

Is there a way to get rid of the invisble parts? The option "crop image data to frames" in the compression options of PDF Export unfortunately only apply to image data, as the name implies.

Regards,

Florian

1.png

• 1. Re: Crop Data To Frames
          Doc Maik Level 4

It all depends on what tool creates/exports the PDF. If the data is vector, then one tool hides parts by using paths, the other might really crop them.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I'd say, Indesign does not crop, but uses paths. The only way I can think to rework a PDF and crop/delete parts is using Illustrator.

• 2. Re: Crop Data To Frames
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can try cropping the PDF you wan tto place in Acrobat, but I don't think that actually removes the data, either, though going a couple of steps further will.

Save the cropped PDF as .eps, then distill the .eps back to PDF. Not pretty, and you lose transparency, interactivity, and layers, but it will be cropped.

• 3. Re: Crop Data To Frames
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Florian – re-destilling to PDF would be one way…

1. Copy/Paste your placed PDF to a new document.

2. Make the size of the page the size of the cropped PDF.

3. Export the page to EPS and distill that to PDF (Distiller comes with Acrobat Pro).

Bildschirmfoto 2013-10-24 um 12.44.31.png

Bildschirmfoto 2013-10-24 um 12.44.41.png

OR: Establish a PostScript => Distiller => PDF workflow.

OR: Use a third-party tool like Axaio's PDFToolbox to do that on an exported PDF.

Uwe

Message was edited by: Laubender