2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2013 8:15 AM by Kippax

Identifying the security method for multiple documents

Kippax

Hi

I have several thousand documents that I would like to share with someone.

However these are sourced from multiple people.

Some have passwords and some do not.

I would like to identify the the Security Method of each document so I know which ones are protected & the level of encryption.

I can go to Properties > Security however this will be extremely time consuming.

Does anyone have a solution?

Regards

• 1. Re: Identifying the security method for multiple documents
          Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It's extremely difficult to do any 'sorting' of files within an Action. The most you can do is run Preflight reports or droplets, which give you a pass or fail against one set of checks. You can't move or rename files based on a multi-state parameter, and finding the exact encryption method is a real pain.

This sort of thing would ideally be handled outside of any PDF software, by parsing the files as binary data streams (e.g. in Java, Python, Perl, etc). The encryption method can be found from inspecting the header/trailer sections even though the page content will be unreadable.

• 2. Re: Identifying the security method for multiple documents
            Kippax Level 1

Thanks Dave

Ideally a pass/fail on whether the 'security method = No Security' would be ideal.

A report would be sufficient as opposed to renaming/moving.

I will look in to the preflight reports before the second option you mentioned.