1 2 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2015 3:27 PM by Isaac T. RSS

Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks

IanatCintrexAV Community Member

Mac and Encore CS6 user here. I've been using the last dying version of Encore () on OSX 10.8.5 with no major issues for several months now (yes I know it's technically not supported beyond 10.7.x).

I'm just curious if anyone has tried it on the new Mavericks update yet and if so please post your results here. I may test it myself in the coming weeks and if I do I'll provide an update.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
          Stan Jones MVP

An excellent question. Please let us know if you are able to give it a test.

• 2. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
            jjkimchicago Community Member

i am having major issue with motion  menu right now...

whenever I click on the menu (psd file), it will give me photoshop file error -1 . no matter what file I use, it will give me that error.

I have three macs (mac pro, iMac, and Macbook Pro), all updated to Mavericks, SAME ERROR for ALL THE MACS.

I use CS5.5  I tried to use CS5 to work on, same error..

I googled the error and try to find the answer.. nothing works...

I can't afford to re-install the apps because of time crunch...

HELP!!!!

• 3. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
              Stan Jones MVP

Some possibilities related to this error generally.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/621424

Resolved by shortening filename.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/145/864981

Using AE generated psd file that used layers that were mov’s. Resolved by flattening and other steps?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/588273

Lots of issues re filename length, special characters, etc.

To test whether it is related to Mavericks, can you roll back one machine?

• 4. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                H4RJ Community Member

I also have the exact same problem. Just upgraded to OSX Mavericks now Encore won't allow any editing of menus. I get the same photoshop file error -1 . I really need to fix this. Also have other macs running OSX Mountain Lion which run fine. Please help

• 5. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                  Stan Jones MVP

Where in the program is the problem appearing? 1) Edit in Encore, 2)  "Edit in photoshop", or 3) just click on it (post 2 above)?

Relevant to whether there is a workaround or if this is one of those, "Apple changed something and the Adobe software doesn't work with it" situations.

I'm PC; can you roll back an osx update?

The future is now... When Adobe announced the end of life for Encore, it seemed at least a little ways off till an OS wasn't supported. I don't know why it seemed that way... Neither Win8 nor Mavericks is supported.

From the Encore eol faq:

What platforms are supported for Encore CS6?

Encore CS6 is supported on Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1 (64 bit) and Mac OS X v10.6.8 or
                  v10.7. Please note that Encore CS6 support for future operating system updates or new hardware
                  platforms will not be provided.

• 6. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                    jjkimchicago Community Member

It happens as follows:

I created a new Encore project.  I import templetate from library. No matter what, I left click (not right click to show options), it gives me photoshop error-1.

Along with any menu from librairies, even if I create a white blank PSD file, and import as a menu, left click, BOOM. Error.

I am Mac, with new upgrade on Mavericks.

• 7. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                      Stan Jones MVP

Thanks for that info.

Is this only in the menu viewer? Or if you close the menu viewer and select the menu in the project panel, does it also do it?

If the following is what you mean by create a white blank psd file.... - never mind! (Other than to confirm that that is what you did.) Create a new document in Photoshop - let's assume you are NTSC? So file and video - NTSC DV (720x480 par .91). Add something, and save. In Encore, do Import as Menu. All good up to this point anyway. Now left click and ....?

What I'm looking for is anything that tells us why Mavericks doesn't like this.

• 8. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                        John T Smith MVP

This is about PPro, but it has a solution that works for "some" people http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322977

• 9. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                          JourneyFilmJB Community Member

I'll join in to say that, after upgrading to Mavericks it looks like Encore has stopped working. Unlike some of the other folks here, it doesn't even get past the opening screen. It'll give the splash screen, then show the app for about 3 seconds then crash. We get this error message:

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 2.56.34 PM.png

I've tried uninstalling Premiere CS6, using the cleaner tool, then reinstalling Premiere CS6 family; I've tried the "changing the language to US english." Nothing seems to work. Anybody have any luck in getting Encore to work?

• 10. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                            Stan Jones MVP

Certainly a more serious event than others.

The other 2 things that are worth looking at are permissions (os upgrades may result in undoing the sort of permissions fixes that make adobe work on mac) and video drivers.

See this re permissions and Todd's comment re quicktime.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5795003#5795003

• 11. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                              Pebowski Community Member

The same here. The only workaround that I have found is to use the button Edit in Photoshop, then Photoshop opens, you can make your changes, save it and return to Encore.

Direct editing always bring me the photoshop error -1

Regards,

Peter

• 12. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                Stan Jones MVP

workaround that I have found is to use the button Edit in Photoshop,

But that would be huge.

Does right click work? That would also allow you to select a button to set links.

Or using Edit -> Edit Menu in Photoshop?

• 13. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks

Yes, right click or using Edit -> works, but it always edit the whole menu. I don't know how it works with buttons, because I have none, and when I try to place a button Encore terminates.

• 14. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                    Stan Jones MVP

Okay.

First, I rarely edit any part of a menu in Encore, other than move or duplicate a button. I always use Photoshop. But I wonder if there is a limit to this workaround. I'm PC, so I can't test any of this myself.

See if this succeeds. Have a menu open in the menu viewer. Double click a button in the Encore library. It should add the button. Does it work (and not crash!)?

If so, can you drag a button from the library to a menu or does that crash?

Regarding adding links, if you select a button by right clicking, can you add a link to a timeline in the properties panel?

• 15. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks

When you doubleclick a button in the library the you get the photoshop file erroe -1, when you drag it, then Encore crashes.

• 16. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                        Stan Jones MVP

Rats!

The worst case for adding buttons is to do it in Photoshop. But let's see what might work.

I would now add a menu with buttons. It doesn't matter which one. The first one down the list in the General library set is Blue Notes.

Does it add without error?

If you right click a button (and pick nothing), it should be selected. If so, then see if you can set a link using the properties panel on the right.

• 17. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks

Yes, this all works without problems.

• 18. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                            Stan Jones MVP

Thanks for reporting.

I am particularly interested in this because Adobe clearly will not make operating system adjustments for Encore. And it is the first Mac/PC operating system that is beyond stated support for CS6 generally.

If this is an operating system feature/bug that has broken Encore's ability to handle photoshop processes within Encore, only a workaround saves Mac users that upgrade to Mavericks from truly having no Adobe DVD/BD authoring option. So far, Adobe can point to the availability of Encore CS6 for CC users. Very worrisome, since no good, inexpensive alternative seems available.

Back to the workaround, I'm asking myself if there are operations that require a left click or that do not allow the operation once the object is selected.

For example, can you manually re-route buttons? Left click on the routing icon turns on the routing information. Is there any way other than drags to make changes? I don't know of one. Does attempting a drag crash Encore?

Any other Mavericks users getting these same results?

I assume it is possible that there is a permissions issue somewhere in this, but I don't know enough about Macs.

• 19. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                              John T Smith MVP

I do not have a Mac, so have NO idea if they have Mac versions

Encore alternative http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dvdastudio

-or http://www.deskshare.com/dvd-authoring-burning-software.aspx

• 20. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                DMH79 Community Member

So does Encore CS6 basically not work with Mavericks?

Also, what about Windows 8 or 8.1? I think you said that it's not officially supported, but does it work for those?

Encore CS6 works just fine on my mac running 10.8.5 even though I think I read that it was only supposed to work through 10.7.  Only have one crappy issue using Encore since updating Premiere/AME to 7.1 that I'm hoping to figure out (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1326579) since Bluray/DVD creation using our custom Encore templates are 100% necessary and something we have to do every week.

• 21. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                  Stan Jones MVP

Also, what about Windows 8 or 8.1? I think you said that it's not officially supported, but does it work for those?

Encore CS6 works just fine on my mac running 10.8.5 even though I think I read that it was only supposed to work through 10.7.

The Encore eol faq includes:

Encore CS6 is supported on Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1 (64 bit) and Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7. Please note that Encore CS6 support for future operating system updates or new hardware platforms will not be provided.

Clearly Encore works pretty well beyond those supported os's.

• 22. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                    Isaac T. Community Member

Hey Guys,

If you're having trouble using Encore in Mavericks, try these.

Encore Crashing on Launch

1. Grab Digital Rebellion's Preference Manager (free).
                                                    2. Trash Encore's preferences.
                                                    3. Empty your Trash and restart. (If your Trash won't empty, restart, then try again.)
                                                    4. Relaunch Encore.
                                                    5. If crashing continues, grab OnyX.
                                                    6. Repair permissions, then clean system and user caches.
                                                    7. Relaunch Encore.

Note: these steps should only happen once, not every time you use Encore.

Encore Crashes Opening an Existing Project

1. Do steps 1-3 above.
                                                    2. Create a new Encore project. Doesn't matter if it's DVD or Blu-Ray. Just pick something based on whatever assets you have lying around. Keep the Untitled project default settings.
                                                    3. Import an asset or two. (The smaller, the better.) Now, stop. Go to Step 4.
                                                    4. Open your existing project. No need to save Untitled.
                                                    5. Encore should be fully functional. When you quit, though, it'll be a Force Quit.

Thankfully, these are the only steps you need for regular usage. Creating new projects should be status quo.

Finally, here's a Digital Rebellion article on fixing project corruption. It didn't apply to me, but it might help you.

Unfortunately, we're all in that weird place where discs are dying, but you can't tell your clients, "Haven't you heard? Discs are dead." We have DVD Studio Pro, but it can't do Blu-Ray. The only other pro option would be Scenarist, but... we're not authoring for the Criterion Collection. If any Criterion staff are reading, though, we're available.

• 23. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                      jvalal Community Member

Has anyone discovered another menu making program for macs?  This is ridicuouls that Adobe is not supporting Encore.  Physical media may be going away, but the need to create interactive videos is not disappearing. Especially as people are creating more interactive resumes, etc.

j

• 24. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                        John T Smith MVP

>ridicuouls that Adobe is not supporting Encore

This is NOT Adobe's fault, or decision... Read reply #8 here for why http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1337952?tstart=0

• 25. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                          jvalal Community Member

@John it is Adobe's fault just as much as Apples.  If adobe wants to keep their software in play they have an obligation to understand how any OS upgrade impacts their software architecture for programs and adjust accordingly. That's why companies like Adobe work closely with MS and hopefully apple in advance of OS releases to ensure things work properly.

• 26. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                            John T Smith MVP

No this is NOT Adobe's fault, and the link I provided does NOT say Apple is involved in Adobe not being able to update Encore... the company that supplied the "burning core" is no longer in business... Adobe is legally not able to update Encore

If you sell cars but you don't build your own engines, and the company that builds the only engines available goes out of business, you stop selling cars

The software that Adobe licensed was the "engine" that powered Encore... no software engine, no Encore... and this has nothing to do with Apple or Microsoft

• 27. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                              jvalal Community Member

John,

If there was a strong business case for Adobe to acquire the engine they could.  It's bad business that they didn't do one of many things.

1. Include some contingency in the contract if said company went out of business they would have an opportunity to take over the core or code

2. When or if said company was going out of business someone from adobe could have reached out to said company.  If you were going out of business you'd want to leverage any opportunity to generate revenue, even if you were closing your doors.

So in my mind this "issue" could have been avoided with better contracts or simply just common sense.  Someone has that core code and it's not just disappeared.  Adobe just decided not to pursue it.

If you sell cars and the company that you buy engines from is closing their doors AND you want to keep selling those cars you either buy that business, buy the IP, or reverse engineer the engines to work in your car.

Camtasia will do what I need at this time.

• 28. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                                Stan Jones MVP

The situation is frustrating.

We really just don't know. You are missing that Rovio (the company that we believes now owns the authorcore at issue) is not out of business. They have deliberately stopped selling it. In their view, I suspect they see themselves as helping the world to move along to streaming. I mean the world adapted to no 8-track tapes, right?

Rovio no longer sells the sdk, and it is possible that Adobe's only option was to develop DVD/BD authoring from the ground up. We don't know how much Adobe offered to keep the rights to create a CC version.

I'm not sure which threads you have read, but many of the issues in Mavericks were driven by permissions not being set for adobe programs to be able to write to various folders, and it is my belief (although without enough users reporting), that Encore does still work with Macs. One day that will not be true.

• 29. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                                  jvalal Community Member

Hey Stan,

Yep it sure is.  That's fine if people stream, but it seems that Rovio is short-sighted to think that interactivity is going away.  For those of us that don't have HTML,CSS, etc skills, but are utilizing AE for motion graphics, inforgraphics, etc to tell stories I believe that we'll want more interactivity in our videos, not less.

I'm less irritated with the removal of "DVD authoring", because I see what Encore did as more than that.  Guess it's all how you see it.

I haven't been able to get a download of Encore to work yet on Mavericks, but maybe it's just me.

Someone will fill the space if it's needed.

• 30. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                                    jvalal Community Member

Any other options in play?

• 31. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                                      neil wilkes MVP

Isaac T. wrote:

Unfortunately, we're all in that weird place where discs are dying, but you can't tell your clients, "Haven't you heard? Discs are dead." We have DVD Studio Pro, but it can't do Blu-Ray. The only other pro option would be Scenarist, but... we're not authoring for the Criterion Collection. If any Criterion staff are reading, though, we're available.

Oh please!

DVD is not dead, discs are not dead - this is all BS from streaming on demand freaks who want to believe this.

Scenarist is no longer available because Rovi (who bought Sonic) seem to have bought it with the sole intention of killing off what they see as competition.

Macs have never been any use for Blu-Ray authoring either as Jobs did not approve of it,. and there were never any of the decent tools available on Mac OS.

Scenarist SD/BD = PC apps.

Sony Blu-Print - PC

Sony DoStudio - PC

Nothing else can create AACS formatted replication masters so unless you have one of those 3 tools, forget replication.

There was an add-on available for Encore to create BDCMF replication folders but if Encore is not running on latest Mac OS it is futile - which starts to beg the question "why update to a new OS that breaks the software you rely on to earn a living?"

• 32. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                                        neil wilkes MVP

jvalal wrote:

If there was a strong business case for Adobe to acquire the engine they could.  It's bad business that they didn't do one of many things.

1. Include some contingency in the contract if said company went out of business they would have an opportunity to take over the core or code

2. When or if said company was going out of business someone from adobe could have reached out to said company.  If you were going out of business you'd want to leverage any opportunity to generate revenue, even if you were closing your doors.

So in my mind this "issue" could have been avoided with better contracts or simply just common sense.  Someone has that core code and it's not just disappeared.  Adobe just decided not to pursue it.

If you sell cars and the company that you buy engines from is closing their doors AND you want to keep selling those cars you either buy that business, buy the IP, or reverse engineer the engines to work in your car.

Camtasia will do what I need at this time.

Not necessarily true.

If, as I suspect, Rovi killed Sonic to protect their streaming on demand models then they will not let anyone else get the authorcores.

• 33. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                                          John T Smith MVP

>haven't been able to get a download of Encore to work yet on Mavericks

I'm Windows, but some saved links that MAY help

-Mac 10.9.3 workaround https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1489922

-more Mac 10.9.3 https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1491469

-Mac 10.9.3 and CS6 https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1480238

-Enable Mac Root User https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1156604

-more Root User http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879931

-and more root user http://forums.adobe.com/thread/940869?tstart=0

• 34. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                                            jvalal Community Member

My issues are this. I don't have Premiere any more because I installed it in the cloud and then uninstalled it locally and now don't have CS6 Premiere.

I then found an older Encore floating around, but any time I try and import media to a timeline Encore crashes.

I've downloaded the update, but still nothing.

Anyone know any great devs?  I bet we could put together a mac version of a video authoring application with menu creation and make some money

• 35. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                                              colinsteed Community Member

Yes, I just downloaded it and and run a couple of tests (I am learning how to use it) and it all seems to work fine on Mavericks ok.

• 36. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                                                jvalal Community Member

Colinsteed, where are you downloading Encore from?

• 37. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                                                  colinsteed Community Member

I subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud so I went to the section Find New Apps and to the right is Filters & Versions. Choose Previous Versions and you should see Premiere Pro CS6 - install that (which installs Encore). If you use another editing program you can uninstall Premiere Pro CS6.

Hope that helps.

• 39. Re: Encore CS6 On OSX Mavericks
                                                                                    jvalal Community Member

See link in prior post.

1 2 Previous Next