3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2013 11:53 AM by Mark Mapes

Linking control of the effects timeline with the sequence timeline

ABComms

This should be simple but I can't work out how to do it. Either Premiere CC lacks this obvious feature or I'm an idiot (don't answer that)...

So here I am, editing some effects - let us for example say I want to stick in a very fast audio fade-out and fade-in to mask out some noise. I want to zoom in close on the effects timeline so that I can finely adjust the exact position of the keyframes.

The zoom slider on the effects window is fiddly and doesn't automatically centre on the frame currently selected in the sequence, so keeping track of it and finding it once zoomed in is really difficult. Zoom control on the sequence timeline doesn't present these problems.

SO, as I'm sure there is a good reason why my effects timeline and sequence timeline are not normally linked is there a way of forcing this so that when I zoom the sequence the clip (if selected) in the timeline?

Am I making any sense?

All advice (other than 'Have you tried turning it off and on again?') gratefully received.

Howie

• 1. Re: Linking control of the effects timeline with the sequence timeline
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You do make sense, but the answer is no.  They zoom independently.

• 2. Re: Linking control of the effects timeline with the sequence timeline
            ABComms Level 1

Because Premier allows you to look select clips for review in the Effect editor that may not be at the location of the cursor on the main sequence timeline I can see why it wouldn't be helpful for the two timelines to be synchronised by default but it would be useful if it could be enabled for those of us who like working that way. I am forever adding effects to the wrong clip.

My biggest problem is that with some clips, when I try to zoom in on the effect timeline I cannot get it to zoom in completely to give me the ability to move keyframes a frame at a time easily. Sometimes it'll let me zoom in to the max, other times it won't... it's very frustrating.

I admitted defeat earlier and asked one of the online advisers to look at it for me. They couldn't make it work on some projects either.

Oh well.

• 3. Re: Linking control of the effects timeline with the sequence timeline
              Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

As Jim said, there's no way to link the zoom level of Effect Controls panel and the Timeline. And you're right that zooming via the horizontal scroll thumb can be clumsy, losing the playhead. However, if you zoom in/out via the +/- keys, voila! The playhead remains centered.

As for not being able to zoom all the way in, I've never run into that problem. If you can fill any details about the cases when it will not zoom in fully for you, I'd be interested. Regardless, one thing you could try is switching the Effect Controls panel to Show Audio Time Units. In that mode, you can zoom in much farther.