10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 1:00 AM by johnc88422678

dng converter not working..

ambiehoops Level 1

I have installed the dng converter 8.1 and am ready to rip my hair out!! I have Photoshop CS5 and it won't recognize my new Nikon D7100 raw files, so dng converter it is... NOT! When I initially installed the converter it worked on about 50 files then stopped, with the message "there was an error writing the file". I tried again later several more times with the same result. I deleted the dng converter and reinstalled, same thing. I moved the dng files that it did convert to trash in case there was a problem because of duplicates and it won't convert anything, even the files it had previously worked on.. HELP!

• 1. Re: dng converter not working..
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What OS?

• 2. Re: dng converter not working..
            ambiehoops Level 1

mac OS X

• 3. Re: dng converter not working..

I'm not a Mac user. But I wonder if this is possibly a permissions issue. Sorry, I have no other suggestions.

• 4. Re: dng converter not working..
                ambiehoops Level 1

Can someone else answer this question then?? I have just tried installing the new converter, 8.2 and it is doing the same thing...

• 5. Re: dng converter not working..

How are you downloading your images? Is it possible that you are using Nikon Transfer? Older versions of that utility do something to NEF files that make them unreadable by Adobe software.

• 6. Re: dng converter not working..
                    ambiehoops Level 1

I use a sandisk card reader. I don't think the problem is there as there has never been a problem with my other nef files from my other Nikon. Also the converter did work on about 50 files then stopped working, so if the files were unreadable it wouldn't have been able to convert any right?

• 7. Re: dng converter not working..

That would certainly seem to be the case. Are you using other software to download your files? Exactly what happens when you try to convert files?

• 8. Re: dng converter not working..
                        ambiehoops Level 1

Nope, no oher software.. From the card reader put it in a folder that I normally open in Bridge and can see the raw files and edit away. With the new camera got the message that the files were not recognized. So my initial post is exactly what happens, the first time I tried the dng converyter I chose the folder etc, hit convert it worked on approx 50 files then started saying "there was an error writing the file" for every pic. Now that is the only message I get and it won't convert anything.

• 9. Re: dng converter not working..

This still sounds like a permissions problem to me.  I don't know anything about the Mac, but from other threads I have read regarding similar problems that seems to be a solution.  What happens if you try to convert directly from the card, rather than downloading the files?  So, are you using Finder to transfer the images from the card?

• 10. Re: dng converter not working..
                            johnc88422678

Hi,

I hope you still have all your hair--otherwise, you'll have to be on a forum for hair growth! 

OK, I think you have the same problem as I.  The Adobe DNG converter doesn't see the file because the OS doesn't know what program to associate it with, other than Adobe CS* or Photoshop and you have to associate the extension (.ORF) with the executable DNG converter.  So--

1.  Do a search for "associate file extensions" in the "Search Windows" box, and you'll bring up the page which lists all the known extensions on your computer.  Find ".ORF", highlight and click "change" at the top.  It will probably be associating with Adobe Photoshop or CS* or such, but you need to associate the DNG executable with .ORF, not Photoshop.

2.  If you don't know where the executable installed, find the DNG converter in start, right click and choose "Open file location."  Once you get the location, click on properties, and under ""target" will be the location of the executable.  This is the location you need to feed to the "Associate File" page.  (You can copy and paste.)

Good luck,

jd