7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 12:22 PM by A.T. Romano

preview window blank - elements 10 - w8.1 - card GTX770

Lene H

New computer with i7-4770K CPU, Win 8.1 (Updated), Grafic card GTX770 (with latest driver), Quicktime 7.74.

When I try to preview video clips from the timeline or media library the preview window is empty (Grey or White).

Sound is OK.

If I click on the preview window playback stops and a still image from that position in the clip is displayed.

If I start playback again the same still image remains in the preview window.

The clip (,MOV file) plays fine in Quicktime.

Premiere worked fine on my old PC with Win 7.

Have tried to run Premiere in Win 7 compatibility mode on the w 8.1 - didn't work.

Regards.

• 1. Re: preview window blank - elements 10 - w8.1 - card GTX770
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When  you started your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you select? You can see your project settings listed under the Edit menu.

Is your latest driver for your nVidia card downloaded directly from the nVidia site (and not merely a Windows update)?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what resolution is it? What codec does it use?

• 2. Re: preview window blank - elements 10 - w8.1 - card GTX770
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

With PrE 10, and an nVidia card, you might want to see this thread, about the latest driver versions from nVidia: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675?tstart=0

For many, the latest nVidia driver has caused display issues, and rolling back to a previous nVidia driver has been the "fix."

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: preview window blank - elements 10 - w8.1 - card GTX770
              Lene H Level 1

Hey Bill!

Thank you very much. This could very well be my problem.

I se 2 solutions - downgrading the NVidia driver or upgrading to PE12. I prefere the last.

I have searched this forum for incompatibility between PE 12 and my NVidia GTX770 with latest driver.

I din't find anything right on the spot.

Do you have a hint?

Thanks in advance.

Lene.

• 4. Re: preview window blank - elements 10 - w8.1 - card GTX770
                Lene H Level 1

Hej Steve!

I have tried to change some of the video options for the projekt I am using for test (I havn't the PC with PE in front of me right now so I don't remember the exact names of the options testet - but it was something regarding "desktop display"). I also tried changing some of the general preferencies in PE. Both tests without luck.

The Nvidia driver is downloaded and installed by the buildt in "automatic update".

I expirience the problem with at least three different video clips in 3 diffeerent formats. Currently my primary video - and my primary testcase - come from a Canon EOS 60D still camera and the file has the format *.MOV. I don't know wich codecs.

As a start I think I will stick to Bill's suggestion and try to solve the problem in that direction.

Regards

Lene

• 5. Re: preview window blank - elements 10 - w8.1 - card GTX770
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lene H

I am aiming at Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA video card driver on this one.

1. Try deleting the BadDrivers.txt file for Premiere Elements 10

Local Disc C

Program Files

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

As always, make sure that Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives is active so that you can see that path.

2. If "1" does not work, then roll back the NVIDIA video card driver version. Depending on the results, you may want to contact NVIDIA direct for input in your specific circumstances. There are at least 2 cases where NVIDIA support group has gotten Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA video card users moving forward with appropriate video card instructions.

3. You could see what Premiere Elements 12 on your Windows 8.1 64 bit has to offer. But, go the tryout route before any thought of purchase. I am having many problems with Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 64 bit (I have Intel HD Graphics). Most of my problems revolve around extremely slow closing of the program and prolong waited for opening of  File Menu/New/Project. And, I have been down every troubleshooting road on this one. Bottom line: beware jumping from one type of problem to another. But, for troubleshooting purposes, 12 may be worth a look at.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: preview window blank - elements 10 - w8.1 - card GTX770
                    Lene H Level 1

Thanks to all of you.

I have installed a trial version of PE12 and that has cured my main problem - no preview.

I'm not through testing but I'm rather sure that I will buy new update licencies for my Adobe software.

I have spend a lot on new HW, now I will rob a bank and buy some new software. :-)

Case closed.

Lene

• 7. Re: preview window blank - elements 10 - w8.1 - card GTX770
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Lene

Thanks for the update. Sounds like major progress. Great.

Continuing success.

ATR