bigdogchris Level 1

My scenario:

Windows 7 x64

Flash Player 11.7

mms.cfg located in C:\Windows\Syswow64\Macromed\Flash

mms.cfg settings:

AutoUpdateDisable=1

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0

I opened the Flash Player Settings Manager and under Advanced tab, verified "Never check for updates" is enabled.

I have both Standard and Administrative users receiving the following warning to update Flash player. Again, I have verified the settings are correct and auto update is showing as disabled.

adobe.png

• 1. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
          pwillener Level 8

There have been many reports of fake update pop-ups, but the screenshot you posted looks genuine.

When you get that pop-up again, could you check the Task Manager's Processes tab, and see if you can identify which process is issuing it?

P.S. hopefully someone from the Flash Player team will also have a look at your post.

• 2. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
            bigdogchris Level 1

The message popped up again today. The process was FlashUtil32_11_7_700_202_ActiveX in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

I again verified in the Flash Player Settings Manager that 'Never check for updates (not recommended)' is selected.

I don't know if the processes the first time was ActiveX or Plug-in.

I also want to point out that not everyone is receiving this message, only some are.

• 3. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
              axeshr3dder1 Level 1

We are seeing the same thing. I was going to post about it but it suggested I read this post. Which has not been answered. I am following all of the documenation for disabling flash updates and the control panel icon is showing that checks are disabled. I even went as far as disbaling the Flash Updater Service and removing the scheduled task Flash creates for whatever reason. As far as I can tell i have disabled this updater in 4 different places and some users are still getting prompted. Is this a bug? It used to work up until the last few months. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                ituser22 Level 1

We are getting this issue as well for our users.

Currently running 11.9.900.117 on Win7 64bit Pro. Update to 11.9.900.152 is available and is NOT silently installing despite fact that mms.cfg is in users c:\windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\ folder and set to

AutoUpdateDisable=0

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=1

Users are standard users not in admin group for their computers. We are getting many calls to help desk about this. The updates are supposed to be silent, aka no notification or interaction presented to users. Searching the forum & bugs this goes back to April of this year.

When is Adobe going to fix this?? We are tired of getting calls regarding this.

• 5. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                  cv_nor Level 1

We've experienced this issue for quite some time now. We have AutoUpdateDisable=1 in mms.cfg, stored in %windir%\syswow64\Macromed\Flash\. If I look in the Flash Player settings, I see that automatic updates have been disabled. Yet several of our users get the update dialog.

It's amazing to me how Adobe is not taking it seriously. I have posted a bug report in the bugbase, and from searching this forum it's pretty clear that the problem is common.

• 7. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                    axeshr3dder1 Level 1

I'm guessing Adobe is too busy doing damage control as a result of their latest "we lost all your passwords" hacking to fix something like this.

• 8. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                      ituser22 Level 1

Not prompting the users for updates (and either silently updating or never updating) is an essential feature for business/enterprise deployments.

When the users get prompted they get confused and calls come in to the IT Helpdesk. Both groups are then not happy.

I can't understand how Adobe cannot be on fixing this immediately.

• 9. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                        Anping Level 1

Dear ituser22,

Player 11.9.900.152 is our LOUD release, which means SilentAutoUpdate service is not enabled in the following 30 days even if you set "SilentAutoUpdateEnable=1" in mms.cfg. So, if you have player 11.9.900.117 installed on your computer with AutoUpdate service enabled (set "AutoUpdateDisable=0"), you will see the update panel popping out and leading you to our PDC center to download the latest flash player.

We are sorry that our upgrading process confused you so much. Hope this note is useful for you. Thanks so much!

• 10. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                          axeshr3dder1 Level 1

This doesn't answer the original question which is, why are we seeing prompts for updates even though we disabled automatic updates. Thanks.

• 11. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                            Anping Level 1

Thanks for the reply!

We are looking into issue now, but unfortunately we couldn't reproduce this issue. We may need your help. If the issue still exists with your computer, would you please do us the favour to provide more details?

1. Your OS type, your browser type, and the player version you are using.

2. The installation logs.

For windows 7 64bit, the log is under C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

For windows 7 32bit, the log is under C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

For Mac OS, the log is under: /Users/User_ID/Library/Logs/FlashPlayerInstallManager.log

We may find some clue through the installation logs so that we could fix this issue as soon as possible. Thanks again!

• 12. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                              bigdogchris Level 1

Anping wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

We are looking into issue now, but unfortunately we couldn't reproduce this issue. We may need your help. If the issue still exists with your computer, would you please do us the favour to provide more details?

1. Your OS type, your browser type, and the player version you are using.

2. The installation logs.

For windows 7 64bit, the log is under C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

For windows 7 32bit, the log is under C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

For Mac OS, the log is under: /Users/User_ID/Library/Logs/FlashPlayerInstallManager.log

We may find some clue through the installation logs so that we could fix this issue as soon as possible. Thanks again!

I have uploaded the flashinstall.txt file to bug#3673004

• 13. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                ObaidaA Level 1

Anping wrote:

Dear ituser22,

Player 11.9.900.152 is our LOUD release, which means SilentAutoUpdate service is not enabled in the following 30 days even if you set "SilentAutoUpdateEnable=1" in mms.cfg. So, if you have player 11.9.900.117 installed on your computer with AutoUpdate service enabled (set "AutoUpdateDisable=0"), you will see the update panel popping out and leading you to our PDC center to download the latest flash player.

We are sorry that our upgrading process confused you so much. Hope this note is useful for you. Thanks so much!

We're also seeing the same issue and have a similar environment to the original poster and ituser22 (Windows 7 Enterprise x64 running 11.9.900.117 with AutoUpdateDisable=0 and SilentAutoUpdateEnable=1).

On an equally important note, how can administrators tell which updates are "LOUD" releases and will need to pushed out via Group Policy (or equivalent) even if silent auto-updates are enabled? I kept expecting our machines to update automatically as they had previously done and then finally created a manual update after reading your post. It would be very helpful if Adobe LOUDLY made it clear in the security bulletin for a release that it would not update automatically. I couldn't find any mention of it in the bulletin for 11.9.900.152. Thanks.

• 14. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                  axeshr3dder1 Level 1

The original poster did not have the same settings. He was disabling autoupdates altogether. As am I. And we are both still getting prompted for updates. Do silent updates even work? I assumed it would prompt for admin rights, which our users do not have. The idea of supressing updates is so that IT can manage the deployment using tools that dont need local admin rights (SCCM). Our users are used to us handling updates for them. When they get a prompt about flash updates we look bad and Adobe looks worse (they already look bad daily). I'm surprised you can't recreate it. Maybe this bug was finally fixed in 11.9.900.152?

• 15. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                    ObaidaA Level 1

I should have clarified that our environment is a mixture of the original poster's and ituser22's. More importantly, I should have proofread my post more carefully since we actually have AutoUpdateDisable=1 rather than what I originally posted (and can no longer edit). I apologize for the confusion.

Silent auto-updates do indeed work (at least they did until the 11.9.900.152 release). They use the background updater service that runs as the SYSTEM user so it updates even though all my users don't have admin rights. The service was already installed with Flash (introduced in 11.2, I believe) so all I had to do was push out the mms.cfg file. When combined with AutoUpdateDisable=1, it should also remove any prompts to the user about updating, although clearly that part is not happening.

• 16. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                      axeshr3dder1 Level 1

Oh cool. To me it seems like AutoUpdateDisable=1 and SilentAutoUpdateEnable=1 are conflicting settings. In one setting you are say disable autoupdate and in the other you saying to enable it, but do it silently. Maybe that's why it works. They are treated as wholly separate settings.

It would be nice to use the SilentAutoUpdate and get out of the business of deploying plugins but we like to test the plugin first before giving it to our users. Good to know that service works. I actually went as far as disabling that service with GPO and it was STILL prompting for updates somehow.

• 17. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                        ObaidaA Level 1

Agreed. In fact, when I originally created the mms.cfg, I had AutoUpdateDisable=0 because it wasn't initially clear to me that setting controlled only the automatic update prompts (the "regular" automatic update) rather than the silent updates. I can see the potential value in having a separate setting for each option but the naming convention could be clarified, especially when one says Disable and the other says Enable.

If you are referring to disabling the background updater service, it's possible that service only works in conjunction with the silent updates and would therefore not affect the update prompts (although I certainly can't state that definitively).

• 18. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                          m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hello,

Unfortunately, it's difficult to troubleshoot this issue after the fact due to how the auto-update notification is triggered.  If auto-updates are disabled in the mms.cfg file the update notification should not display, however, there is an edge case scenario that could result in the update notification displaying.

First, to clarify some comments regarding the update settings in the mms.cfg file:

The default update settings are:

• AutoUpdateDisable=0 (notification update is enabled)
                                          • SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0 (silent auto-update is disabled)

Silent auto-update is an opt-in option, it is not the default setting.  When installing using the EXE installer if the system is not already opted into silent auto-update the user will be prompted to select an update option and the mms.cfg file will be updated with this selection.  The MSI installer does not write to the mms.cfg file, therefore, it does not prompt the user to select an update option.  When Flash Player is installed using the MSI installer Flash Player simply honors whatever settings are already present in the mms.cfg file.

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=1 enables silent auto-update ONLY if AutoUpdateDisable=0 is set.

AutoUpdateDisable=1 disables notification AND silent auto-updates

As of Flash Player 11.5, uninstalling Flash Player using the standalone uninstaller will reset the update options to the default setting (documented on page 8 of the Flash Player Administrator's Guide):

• AutoUpdateDisable=0 (notification update is enabled)
                                          • SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0 (silent auto-update is disabled)

If your Flash Player deployment process is to first uninstall the Flash Player using the standalone uninstaller and then install Flash Player using the MSI installer the system will be configured for notification updates since this is the default setting.  In this case you must re-deploy the custom mms.cfg file to disable updates at the same time Flash Player is installed using the MSI installer (e.g. uninstall, install using MSI, deploy custom mms.cfg file disabling updates).  If the custom mms.cfg file disabling updates is not re-deployed at installation time it is possible for Flash Player to detect an update is available resulting in the upate notification displaying.

Regarding 'loud' releases, if you rely on silent auto-updates to update Flash Player within your organization, and want to avoid the update notification associated with a 'loud' release, you can host the updates on an internal server.  Details on how to do this are on page 19 of the Flash Player Administrator's Guide.

This functionality is tested extensively and we have not been able to reproduce the update notification displaying when updates are disabled.  Nonetheless, I will try using the various Flash Player versions mentioned in this thread.

--

Maria

• 19. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                            bigdogchris Level 1

Maria, thanks for the information.

Is it possible that by having SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0 in my mms.cfg causes the occasional popup to update by somehow interfereing with the AutoUpdateDisable=1?

• 20. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                              axeshr3dder1 Level 1

Thanks for the detailed response Maria. I can say I currently only use AutoUpdateDisable=1 in my mms file and was seeing the prompts. We use only the MSI version from the enterprise deployment website and let it do it's thing with regard to removing the previous versions. We recently deployed the latest version and I'm hoping we won't see prompts when the next version releases.

• 21. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                axeshr3dder1 Level 1

Also with regard to how we are deploying the mms file. We use group policy preferences. That way even if the user or the installer delete or change the mms file, group policy comes back down and sets it back the way we want. To disable auto updates. The weirdest part is that the control panel applet shows disabled yet some users report they are getting prompts.

• 22. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                  m_vargas Adobe Employee

@bigdogchris,

AutoUpdateDisable=1 is the overriding setting, which disables everything.  How are you deploying Flash Player in your organization?

@axeshredder1,

How often does the Group Policy task run?  If there's a lag between the time the user modified/deleted the mms.cfg file and Group Policy resetting/recreating the custom mms.cfg file it's possible that Flash could have detected an update is available and configured the system for the notification update.

--

Maria

• 23. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                    ObaidaA Level 1

Hi Maria,

Thanks for clarifying the settings. Is there any way to tell which flash releases are "loud?" Thanks.

We also use Group Policy Preferences for deploying the mms.cfg file. Great tool.

• 24. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                      axeshr3dder1 Level 1

Maria, Group Policy refreshes by default every 90 minutes on windows clients. However, most of our users are not running as admins nor would they ever mess with that file. So to my knowledge that file always stays the way we set it (especially since we use the MSI to deploy Flash). Thanks.

• 25. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                        ituser22 Level 1

>Regarding 'loud' releases, if you rely on silent auto-updates to update Flash Player within your organization, and want to avoid the update notification associated with >a 'loud' release, you can host the updates on an internal server.  Details on how to do this are on page 19 of the Flash Player Administrator's Guide.

So the so-called "silent" updates feature isn't really completely silent? It'll do some of the updates silently but others will pop-up for the users (these "loud" releases, for example). That's really a misleading use of the term "silent" on Adobe's part. Admins see "silent updates" and then expect users not to be alerted of anything regarding these updates.

• 26. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                          m_vargas Adobe Employee

Release announcements are posted in the forums at http://forums.adobe.com/community/flashplayer/announcements and indicate whether or not the user will receive the update notification regardless if they're opted into silent updates for the loud releases, although the comment is not prominet on the page.  I spoke with the person that posts these and  future release notifications for loud releases will call this out more prominently.  To subscribe to release notifications, follow the instructions on this FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/890491.  More information on loud notifications is available in this FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1152367.

--

Maria

• 27. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                            m_vargas Adobe Employee

Thank you for the information, axeshr3dder1.  Based on this, the chance of Flash Player detecting an update and configuring the system is this situation is very, very slim.  I'll continue to investigate.

When Flash Player detects an update is available it creates a value in the RunOnce registry entry ([HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce] "FlashPlayerUpdate").  This value executes the command that displays the update notification window when the user logs on.  To prevent the update notification window from displaying you can create a Group Policy rule to check for the existence of this value (FlashPlayerUpdate) and delete it if is found, and/or add a log off script to check for the existence of the value when the user logs off/shuts down.  If the value doesn't exist when the user logs on, the update notification window does not display.

--

Maria

• 28. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                              ObaidaA Level 1

Hi Maria,

Thanks for the links. They were very helpful.

I noticed in the last link that it said: If you decide not to update, you will receive an automatic update within 45 days if you have the "Allow Adobe to install updates" option selected.

If I understand this correctly, it seems that Flash will eventually automatically update to the loud releases if you have SilentAutoUpdateEnable=1. I've noticed that none of my clients silently updated from 11.9.900.117 to 11.9.900.152 but they are now all updating silently to 11.9.900.700. I assume this is because by the time the 45 days had passed there was already a new version.

As an administrator, I need my clients to always be running the most secure version of Flash. I understand Adobe wants to highlight the new features in the loud releases but I would very much appreciate a way to opt-in to always receiving the latest updates to Flash immediately and not need to wait 45 days and have my clients be running unsecure versions of Flash in the meantime. You previously mentioned that we could use an internal update server but, for a variety of reasons, this is not feasible for us. I hope you can pass that along to the development team for consideration.

Thanks again for your help.

• 29. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                                m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hi ObaidaA,

I understand your concern about potentially waiting 45 days for a background update during these 'loud' releases and have forwarded your concerns to the appropriate individuals.

Have you considered distributing Flash Player to your clients using Active Directory/Group Policy, SMS, or Miscrosoft's SCUP?  As the Administrator, you can control the distribution via these installation methods reducing, or eliminating, the delay caused by the loud releases in updating your clients to the latest, most secure player.  Information for these installation methods is available in the Flash Player Administrator's Guide (in Chapter 3) or on the Adobe Flash Player Distribution page.

--

Maria

• 30. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                                  ObaidaA Level 1

Hi Maria,

Thanks for passing along the concerns.

I used to deploy updates using Group Policy but switched to the background updating service because it has some advantages for our environment. The idea of having Flash take care of itself silently in the background without requiring any additional work is quite appealing. Thanks.

Obaida

• 31. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                                    syseng34567 Level 1

Hello Maria,

We are experiencing similar issue...

Windows 7 x64 SP1 Enterprise Edition

Internet Explorer 10

Flash Player 11.9.900.117 both activex and plugin components

mms.cfg settings:

AutoUpdateDisable=1

Flash Player Control Panel applet under Advanced tab, verified "Never check for updates" is enabled.

Receiving reports that user's (admin and non-admin) are receiving the Update Notification even though Updates disabled. Based on our settings, there should be no notification to the user.

Thanks,

S

• 32. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                                      makje Level 1

same problem here:

Windows 7 x64 SP1 Professional Edition

Internet Explorer 10

Flash Player 12.0.0.70 both activex and plugin components

mms.cfg settings:

AutoUpdateDisable=1

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0

Flash Player Control Panel applet under Advanced tab, verified "Never check for updates" is enabled.

See screenshot (dutch language but the options are the same)

adobe_updater_mms.jpg

Flash and mms are distributed in 1 Policy:

adobe_updater_policy.jpg

• 33. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                                        syseng34567 Level 1

makje,

We couldn't reproduce the Adobe Notification Prompt on queue but it was consistently being reported by End users even though the Flash (32bit) Applet in Control Panel displayed 'Never Check for Updates'.

We have IE10 and IE8 in the environement and did identify it was occuring only for users on x64 OS with IE10. Users with IE8 were not seeing the notification.

After a call to MS Premier (Adobe offered no support for this product) we identified a potential solution. We were able to get on a system where the Adobe Update Notification window was displaying and checked the RunOnce key for the logged on user. The 64 bit FlashUtil was the process displaying the prompt.

According to Microsoft, IE8 natively opens with the x86 process but with IE10 the frame is opened with the 64 bit process and each tab is running the x86 iexplore.exe process.

We ended up creating the mms.cfg file with same settings ....

AutoUpdateDisable=1

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0

and placing in both the x64 and x86 Macromed\Flash directories on 64 bit systems.

Can't say 100% yet if this has resolved the issue since we cannot generate the Notification on queue but have yet to have it reported since deploying the mms.cfg 5 days ago to both directories on x64 OS.

Hope this helps

-S

• 34. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                                          axeshr3dder1 Level 1

Ok so I think this is the best theory yet. A while back I vaguely remember adobe installing both the x86 and x64 versions of flash with the same single installer. If this is the case, and it seems to be because both c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash and c:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash contain flash player exes on my machine. Adobe's guidance for disabling flash 32bit is to put it in the syswow64 directory, but they are installing both now! My new thought is like you said, the mms.cfg file needs to be in both directories. The control panel icon says 32bit...which shows updates disabled...which to my knowledge is the syswow64 directory. There is no 64bit control panel icon. If there were, I'd be willing to bet it would say that updates are indeed enabled. I am going to deploy the mms.cfg file to the system32 directory too and hopefully stop the prompts for 64bit version of flash (which we dont even use) (as I got a prompt this morning and so did my director ). If they were two seperate installers (one x86 and one x64) this issue woulda been avoided I imagine. I can report back but it might take a while. We are deploying 13 this week.

• 35. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                                            KevinBach Level 1

Hey syseng34567

By adding your mms.cfg to both locations resolve your issue?  We have begun to experience this behavior on our WIN7 x64 systems only.

Opened case with Adobe Premiere support this morning to review further.  Will post additional information as well.

-K

• 36. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                                              cv_nor Level 1

I've been researching this and have found that adding mms.cfg to both locations seems to resolve the issue. It seems that while the MSI will install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Adobe Flash, it will only apply a mms.cfg to the 32-bit version.

• 37. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                                                KevinBach Level 1

Great news ALL!

I have had an open case with Adobe Support for a better part of June and I just received confirmation the Adobe Engineering team is able to replicate the issue.

They have logged a high priority bug, bug number #3759054.  I'll provide confirmed solution once provided.

• 38. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                                                  electric grape Level 1

I have exactly the same issue with some users. MMS.CFG has:

AutoUpdateDisable=1

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0

Flash player settings panel advanced tab reads  "Never check for updates (not recommended)", but user is still prompted to update.

I look forward to Adobe's resolution of this issue; it makes Flash player impossible to manage in a corporate environment.

• 39. Re: Flash Player Prompting to Update with Auto Updates Disabled
                                                                                    luke.torrisi Level 1

Hi KevinBach,

Did Adobe provide an update to your issue?

I am experiencing the same problem.  I have placed the MMS.CFG file into both x86 and x64 director and it seemed to resolve the issue for a little while and now it has come back.

I can't find that BUG ID you quoted in your post.  Any help guys?

Cheers.,

Luke

1 2 Previous Next