2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2013 6:34 AM by G.Hoffmann

CMYK to rgb and the inverse

EnricoHires

Hi, i found this mistake:

Photoshop CMYK document -> new color: 0,0,0,90 -> dark grey

As you can see, photoshop says this: CMKY(0,0,0,90) = rgb (60,60,59)

Cattura.JPG

But,if in rgb the white is 255,255,255 and black is 0,0,0 why dark gray is 60,60,59 and not 20,20,20 for exemple?

I've tryed some converters and those says my gray is 25,25,25 in rgb space

thanks

• 1. Re: CMYK to rgb and the inverse
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The CMYK values here are built from whatever CMYK color space you set in your Color Settings (from the source RGB). New document might be that or antoher CMYK profile you select.

• 2. Re: CMYK to rgb and the inverse
            G.Hoffmann Level 3

As Andrew says: the result of the conversion depends on the RGB-profile and the CMYK-profile

Additionally on the Rendering Intent and Black Point Compensation BPC = On or Off.

I think, the question refers to K=90, which means 10% of totally black, therefore RGB should be

something like 25 in each channel. Both assumptions are considerably wrong:

Printing by K is a affected by dot gain: printed dots are larger than defined by percentage.

Coding of RGB is done by gamma encoding. Thus, a mental prediction is not simple.

We can do a test:

Use in Color Settings RGB=sRGB and CMYK=ISOCoated-v2-eci (or any profile for European

ink and coated paper). Renderin Intent=Relative Colorimetric, BPC=0n.

Load page 11 of this doc in Photoshop in mode CMYK:

http://docs-hoffmann.de/a3gencolorhigh.pdf

Set indicated colors in Info: CMYK and Lab.

Verify for any swatch that it is K-only (C=M=Y=0).

Set indicated colors in Info: RGB and Lab

Measure swatch K=90:

R=G=B=59 (values are a little different because of small numerical errors, going through profiles)

L=25, a=0, b=0 (small errors as well)

Measure swatch K=100

R=G=B=26

L=9, a=0, b=0

Black ink K=100 does not deliver absolute black L=0. Therefore we don't have R=G=B=0.

So we can easily find Lab and RGB values for K-only values. The doc contains as well

information about gamma encoding and dot gain.

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann