9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2013 6:20 PM by Saimurai

Drive-by Text Effects

Saimurai Level 1

Hi there,

Im working on a music video at the moment where the characer is on a road trip throughout the US. We have shot all the footage and im in the edit suite now. i would like to do something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VKlLSqsrro

But also one where the car is driving down a tunnel towards the text which is motion tracked to the walls of the tunnel.

Also, some of the text effects shown in Zombieland when the narrator is discussing the "rules to zombieland".

Need to have a solution asap for this so speedy answers are much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Sai Kelly

• 1. Re: Drive-by Text Effects
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You'll need motion tracking and possibly some rotoscoping.

• 2. Re: Drive-by Text Effects
            Saimurai Level 1

Thanks, that's what I thought. I struggled with finding a way to distort the text box to change shape, like skewing, for a long time until i realised it was actually about getting my head around camera and perspective angling. I've been looking for a few step by step tutorials for rotoing etc, and found a couple. Would you recommend any?

Sai Kelly

Creative Director

www.saikoproductions.com

One of a Kind.

//From SaiPad//

• 3. Re: Drive-by Text Effects

There are some very good tutorials in the links I sent already. Corner pin distortion (possibly using Mocha) is often exactly what is needed for shots like you're describing.

• 4. Re: Drive-by Text Effects
                Saimurai Level 1

Yesi saw those, mocha is something that looks amazing and possibly where my future lies but it looks like it needs a lot of my time and right now i can't give that. i tried the corner pin effect and it didn't seem to give me the result i was after. This was a quick corner pin attempt:

I'm trying to get the words to slide from left to right between the yellow lines and remain in contact with them, so skewing the shape of the text. Does that make sense? What i would love is have them even just printed into the tarmac/asphalt and not need to be "slid in" but i can't seem to change the shape of the text.

I think for this project I'm going to have to make do with what I've done!

Sai Kelly

Creative Director

www.saikoproductions.com

www.facebook.com/saikoproductions.com

"One of A Kind"

• 5. Re: Drive-by Text Effects
                  Saimurai Level 1

Yes i saw those, thank you. Mocha is something that looks amazing and possibly where my future lies but it looks like it needs a lot of my time and right now i can't give that. i tried the corner pin effect and it didn't seem to give me the result i was after. This was a quick corner pin attempt on one example im trying to sort out:

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 14.52.23.png

I'm trying to get the words to slide from left to right between the yellow lines and remain in contact with them, so skewing the shape of the text. Does that make sense? What i would love is have them even just printed into the tarmac/asphalt and not need to be "slid in" but i can't seem to change the shape of the text. Is this only possible in Mocha?

• 6. Re: Drive-by Text Effects

That looks like lens distortion. You might try a lens distortion correction effect on the text (but use it in the opposite way to how you'd correct lens distortion). Alternatively, you could try to remove the lens distortion from the original footage.

• 7. Re: Drive-by Text Effects
                      Saimurai Level 1

no that's intentional, its shot on a GoPro.

• 8. Re: Drive-by Text Effects
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

You can precomp the text moving across the screen, and then apply Mesh Warp to the precomp.  I think this baby is going to be tough to track.  A lot of hit-and-miss in this one, I think.

• 9. Re: Drive-by Text Effects
                          Saimurai Level 1

Thanks Dave,

Thats great thanks, a friend who knows way more about this than me suggested precomping also. I've just uploaded the demo track to the band, and if they're happy for me to continue on this path, ill be heading down to my mates office for the week! He says we can work it out together. I'm just starting out with AE and i absolutely love it, perfect for someone who doesn't often try to do simple things! lol

Cheers for your help folks. If the solution is simple enough to type up ill post it back here for future searchers with a link to the final video.

Sai