12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 6:45 AM by grampus45

How do you force a reinstall of Camera Raw CC?

grampus45

How can one force a reinstallation of ACR CC?  Is it necessary, for example, to uninstall both Photoshop CC and Bridge CC and then reinstall both?

thanks,

grampus45

• 1. Re: How do you force a reinstall of Camera Raw CC?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think the Adobe-suggested method is to uninstall and re-install Photoshop CC, although that probably also involves other steps so that the CC-Manager app understands it needs to install Photoshop CC.

You can try using the standalone installer available from these direct-download links:

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/03/keeping-photoshop-up-to-date.html#notconnected

• 2. Re: How do you force a reinstall of Camera Raw CC?
            grampus45 Level 1

ssprengel wrote:

I think the Adobe-suggested method is to uninstall and re-install Photoshop CC, although that probably also involves other steps so that the CC-Manager app understands it needs to install Photoshop CC.

You can try using the standalone installer available from these direct-download links:

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/03/keeping-photoshop-up-to-date .html#notconnected

Thanks for your response.  I, however, have tried by uninstalling Photoshop CC, and that didn't work.  I'm wondering if that's because Bridge's presence (which also uses Camera Raw) prevents Camera Raw from being uninstalled.  Perhaps one needs to uninstall both Photoshop CC and Bridge CC, but I didn't want to try that without having a better idea of its possible success.

Does anyone know for sure how to make sure Camera Raw is deleted and reinstalled?

Meanwhile, I've tried the standalone installers you cite above, but when I run it, it comes up with the following message:

Update Failed.  Updates could not be applied.

This patch is not applicable for you.  Please check for updates from the Help menu in your product to see a list of the latest updates available.

• 3. Re: How do you force a reinstall of Camera Raw CC?

There are no guarantees about what will work or not, especially since you’re asking about re-installing Camera Raw CC which should never need to happen, so something is obviously not right to begin with.

The time to try the direct download installs for ACR 8.2 was before you uninstalled PS CC.  Bridge is not a qualifying ACR-host product because you can’t buy it separately, it always comes with another Adobe application; hence the error.

Since you have already uninstalled PS-CC, I’d also uninstall Bridge-CC, log out of the CC Manager app, reboot and sign back in to the CC-Manager app and see if you are offered Photoshop CC (and Bridge CC), again, and reinstall PS-CC which should put ACR 8.0, back, then you should be able to update it to ACR 8.2.

If, after uninstalling PS-CC and Bridge-CC, you’re not offered Photoshop CC, again, from the CC-manager app, then you may need to uninstall everything Adobe-related, including the CC-Manager app, run the CC-cleaner app you can get from Adobe.com, and re-install the CC-manager app, log into it, and presumably all the stuff will be available.

There are some other variations that involve clearing about the Adobe Application Manager cache to get it to see that PS-CC has been uninstalled, but I assume the CC-Cleaner app will remove this, too.

• 4. Re: How do you force a reinstall of Camera Raw CC?
                grampus45 Level 1

ssprengel wrote:

There are no guarantees about what will work or not, especially since you’re asking about re-installing Camera Raw CC which should never need to happen, so something is obviously not right to begin with.

Yes, there is something wrong.  After some "tech" at Adobe messed with my machine by remote, my Adobe updater no longer lists Camera Raw 8 among the files to check for updating.  That's why I want it reinstalled -- to have it relisted.

The time to try the direct download installs for ACR 8.2 was before you uninstalled PS CC.  Bridge is not a qualifying ACR-host product because you can’t buy it separately, it always comes with another Adobe application; hence the error.

Bridge CC is a separate download, installed on its own and no longer linked to PS.

Since you have already uninstalled PS-CC, I’d also uninstall Bridge-CC, log out of the CC Manager app, reboot and sign back in to the CC-Manager app and see if you are offered Photoshop CC (and Bridge CC), again, and reinstall PS-CC which should put ACR 8.0, back, then you should be able to update it to ACR 8.2.

This is precisely what I was suggesting.

If, after uninstalling PS-CC and Bridge-CC, you’re not offered Photoshop CC, again, from the CC-manager app, then you may need to uninstall everything Adobe-related, including the CC-Manager app, run the CC-cleaner app you can get from Adobe.com, and re-install the CC-manager app, log into it, and presumably all the stuff will be available.

When I uninstalled PS-CC, it was indeed listed again in the manager for download.  I was hoping I could avoid deleting everything and running the cleaner since I believe that would involve restoring all the settings and profiles.

I am still not sure why there is no facility in the CC-manager for sync-ing with the applications that exist on the computer to determine what ought be checked for updates.  It seems the only way to make it understand a given application is resident is to install it.

I would still appreciate hearing from someone who knows for sure what is the best way for me to proceed to reinstall Camera Raw. 

thank you,

grampus45

• 5. Re: How do you force a reinstall of Camera Raw CC?

So did it work to reinstall PS-CC or not?  If you get an error with reinstalling, then it’d be time to look at the PS-CC installer logs, to see if they shed any light out the underlying issue.

I’m with you on the suggestion about having something resync what the CC-Manager thinks is installed with what is actually installed.

• 6. Re: How do you force a reinstall of Camera Raw CC?
                    grampus45 Level 1

ssprengel wrote:

So did it work to reinstall PS-CC or not?

As I stated in my second post above, I did reinstall PS-CC, but it did not lead to a reinstall of Camera Raw (i.e., it did not work).  That's why I'm wondering if one needs to uninstall Bridge as well, since the uninstaller may not remove Camera Raw while Bridge is present.  I got no errors during the reinstall.

I’m with you on the suggestion about having something resync what the CC-Manager thinks is installed with what is actually installed.

Yes, the absense of such a facility is a complete mystry to me.  It seems to me it ought be automatic: if a licensed app is present on the computer, it ought be included in the update list.

• 7. Re: How do you force a reinstall of Camera Raw CC?

Your second reply only says you uninstalled PS-CC, not installed it,again, hence the suggestion to put it back before installing the direct download links for ACR 8.2.

ACR is not a licensed app, it is a component of several licensed apps, but it can be updated independently.  This makes things messy.

You might search your hard-drive for the file “Camera Raw.8bi” which is the physical filename of the ACR plug-in and see if it exists anywhere or not, and then check whether it disappears or reappears when PS-CC and/or Bridge-CC are uninstall and reinstalled.

Your initial question was whether you should also uninstall Bridge-CC.  Have you done this, already?

• 8. Re: How do you force a reinstall of Camera Raw CC?
                        grampus45 Level 1

ssprengel, I appreciate your efforts, but they convey no greater knowledge of the matter than I have myself.

So let me try once again to ask if anyone knows (for a fact) how to force CC to install Camera Raw.

My situation is as follows: I had a download problem for an update of Bridge a while back.  I called Adobe, and one of their "techs" took over my machine by remote and did a bunch of things (I couldn't possibly tell you what they were).  By the time he was through I had the update, but my CC-updater list (the one in PS that shows which apps the updater is to check on for updates) no longer included all of my CC apps.  He really screwed me up. 

I uninstalled PS-CC and reinstalled it.  That reintroduced PS-CC into the update list.  I then did the same with Bridge, and now Bridge was back.  But Camera Raw 8 was still not included in the update list.  So, when the latest update of Camera Raw (8.2) was released, my updater did not inform me of it. 

I have not uninstalled both PS-CC and Bridge-CC at the same time.  But before I do this I wonder if anyone knows (for a fact) whether doing this will cause Camera Raw 8 to be uninstalled as well -- and then reinstalled when PS and Bridge are reinstalled.  I guess I'll just have to try this, but, as I have said, I would prefer having some knowledgeable idea that it will work before I do so.

So I still treat my opening question as unanswered.  Does anyone know how to force a reinstall of Camera Raw CC?

thank you,

grampus45

• 9. Re: How do you force a reinstall of Camera Raw CC?
                          Ashutosh.Nigam Adobe Employee

@grampus45,

Apologize for the inconvenience, Uninstalling PS CC & Br CC and then a fresh install should get back you to ACR 8.0.

and the direct links provided by @ssprengel should work.

This error usually comes when there is a corrupt installation of ACR (or when the ACR has been deleted/moved needed files).

Coming back to the issue you are facing for ACR update, I would need to analyze your system logs to know the root cause.

Please provide me with the following logs.

You can find them at:

ACR  Installer logs

For Mac:

Library\Logs\Adobe\Installer

For Win:

Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers

AAM logs

For Mac:

/Volumes/%Volume Name%/Users/%Username%/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/1.0

For Win:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\AAMUpdater

You can zip all the files together and send us through mail. We can also setup a connect session for resolving the issue, What time frame would suit you for connect session? Do let me know accordingly I would send you the request.

Appreciate your help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

asnigam@adobe.com

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: How do you force a reinstall of Camera Raw CC?
                            grampus45 Level 1

Ashutosh.Nigam wrote:

@grampus45,

Apologize for the inconvenience, Uninstalling PS CC & Br CC and then a fresh install should get back you to ACR 8.0.

Thank you Ashutosh, that does appear to have worked.  Your statement gave me the courage to try.   Removing either PS-CC or Bridge-CC alone will not remove or allow a reinstall of ACR.  Either one of those alone keeps the old version in place.  When I attempted before, I removed each application and reinstalled separately, and not together, so the needed update information was never generated.

But, after removing both PS-CC and Bridge-CC together, ACR was also uninstalled and was reinstalled when the two apps were then reinstalled.

and the direct links provided by @ssprengel should work.

They do not.

This error usually comes when there is a corrupt installation of ACR (or when the ACR has been deleted/moved needed files).

Yes, and this is what happened, I am sure, when the Adobe tech messed around with my files.  He was deleting things wholesale and I'm sure some needed information was removed.

Meanwhile, can you tell me why the CC-updater does not have a facility to sync with the applications on the machine to make sure all relevant apps are included in the update list?  This must surely be possible, and it would have quickly corrected the issue I was having.

thank you,

grampus45

• 11. Re: How do you force a reinstall of Camera Raw CC?
                              Ashutosh.Nigam Adobe Employee

It takes time for Update to get reflected on your CC app. Please check updates through Photoshop->Help->Updates.

Resolution is to Quit and Re-launch your app, this would list all the recent live updates.

We are working to make user experience seamless,Would take your feedback though and send it to the concerned team.

Regards,

Ashutosh

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: How do you force a reinstall of Camera Raw CC?
                                grampus45 Level 1

Ashutosh.Nigam wrote:

It takes time for Update to get reflected on your CC app. Please check updates through Photoshop->Help->Updates.

Resolution is to Quit and Re-launch your app, this would list all the recent live updates.

Taking time was not the issue, Ashutosh.  The Adobe tech messed things up for me back in July.  It wasn't till sometime later that I noticed that my check-for-updates list (Help/Updates/Preferences) was incomplete and that, when ACR 8.2 came out, I was not being notified or given the opportunity to update.  Quiting and re-lauching did not correct the issue.  It simply didn't want to include Camera Raw 8 in the update list.  And I am sure by "taking time" you do not mean several months.

I find this particularly strange since the check-for-updates list did include Photoshop CC and Bridge CC, and so you've got to wonder if they've got the updater working completely correctly if it couldn't then also recognize that it should include Camera Raw 8.

We are working to make user experience seamless,Would take your feedback though and send it to the concerned team.

Yes, I would appreciate it very much if you could suggest to the relevant team that it would be very desirable to have means to have the CC-app manager/updater sync with the relevant apps on the computer to make sure they are all listed in the check-for-updates list that is given in PS/Help/Updates/Preferences.

It seems a bit extreme to have to achieve this by uninstalling and reinstalling several apps.

thank you for your attention,

grampus45