3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2013 2:21 PM by sjpt

Transfer books to new Adobe ID

LG40000

I have created a new Adobe Digital ID becuase I can no longer access my previous account.  My email address has changed and I cannot find a way to update the account.  I also cannot remember the account details becuase I lost it when my PC had to be reinstalled.  The Adobe online chat services seems to be permanently busy so I can't ask there.  How do I transfer my books to my newly created ID?

• 1. Re: Transfer books to new Adobe ID
          sjpt Level 4

You can't transfer DRM books between Adobe IDs.

I guess your only hope is to continue to try the online chat to get your old ID back.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but that's the way Adobe have set things up.

• 2. Re: Transfer books to new Adobe ID
            LG40000 Level 1

Thanks for your answer, appreciate the support.  Unfortunately though my old email account has been deleted, so I have no way of recovering my ID.  I have dozens of books worth hundreds of dollars attached to the account so there must be some way to get this all sorted out.

What would my next best step be?

• 3. Re: Transfer books to new Adobe ID
              sjpt Level 4

Rather long post coming I am afraid: trying at least to clarify the background.
              I'm sure you know some of this, but not sure exactly which bits you know ....

basics

• You don't need your old email account, you need your old Adobe account.
              • Each Adobe account has a permament internal ID.  It is that internal ID with which your bought books are associated.
              • At any point in time, the account is associated with an external ID (in email address format) and password.
              • That external ID/password are used for logging on to the Adobe site or for registering a new computer.
              • The external email ID does not have to be a valid or current email address.
              • As long as you remember the old external ID and the old password, you can log onto the account on the Adobe website.
              • Once logged on, you can change the external ID/email address associated with the account, and/or the password.
                From that point on, logging on will require the new external ID/password.
              • That will not change the account or the internal ID, and you will still be able to read your books.

recovery

• If you forget your password but remember the external ID,
                you can have a password reset emailed to the currently associated email address/external ID using password recovery on the website.
              • However, if you have forgotten your password AND the lost access to the old email, that will not work.
                I think that may be your situation?
              • At that point, I am afraid Adobe chat is your best hope ......
                If you can convince them you are the real owner of the account, they should be able to reset the email address and password for you.

extreme recovery

• If you have even forgotten the old external ID/email associated with the Adobe account, you can recover the internal ID using the mechanism below.
              • I have recently heard that Abobe can't/won't give you access to the account based on the internal ID, but might be worth a try.
                From what I have heard, some chat agents are useless/uunhelpful/unknowledgable, and others really good.
                Might be worth trying a few times if they can't/won't help the first time.

~~~~~~~~~~

recovery of your internal ID

A book is associated with the AdobeID in use at the time the book was downloaded (.acsm token file turned into encrypted .epub/.pdf file).

An AdobeID has two forms, internal (something like 'urn:uuid:ff2ddc22-eca0-46c6-a84d-xxxxxxxxxxxx') and external (email address).

The authorization mechanism on the book is associated with the internal ID.

The internal ID for an account never changes;

as long as you can log into the ID, you can change the email address it is currently associated with on the Adobe website.

You can check the Adobe ID ADE is using in internal and external form in ADE2.0 using ctrl-shift-I (Help/Authorization Information).

For ADE1.7.2 you sadly only get the external ID, using Library/Authorize Computer (which acts as a query if already authorized).

You can check the AdobeID in external form in Bluefire.

In either case, if you have changed the external ID associated with the account since authorizing the device,

you may be told the old external ID, or may be told the up to date one.

You can check the AdobeID associated with a book in internal form with the rather roundabout method at the bottom of this post.

I don't know of any way of finding the current external ID given the internal ID of the book;

unless it is an ID you still use in which case the mathing values from ADE2.0 will tell you.

~~~~~

OK.  To find the internal AdobeID.

open a sample DRM .epub file as a .zip file.

With some zip programs, you can just open the .epub as an archive (ev, with 7zip),

with others you will have to rename the .epub file to a .zip file first, then open it.

find the file 'rights.xml' within the zip.  Probably  'META-INF\rights.xml'

open the rights.xml file

inside you will find a section '<user>' that looks something like

<user>urn:uuid:ff2ddc22-eca0-46c6-a84d-xxxxxxxxxxxx</user>

That string is the internal version for your AdobeID.

That stays fixed for the AdobeID, even if you change the associated email (or password),

that internal ID is what is really associated with the book.

(n.b. there is no point in trying to change the urn to a current one you might find and recreating the .epub file; the DRM is cleverer than that).

You can now contact Adobe at Adobe Live Chat: http://www.adobe.com/support/chat/ivrchat.html

It may be that if you can give them that internal ID they will be able to get you access to your account again.

If they say they can't, it might be worth trying two or three times at intervals;

it seems from what others have said that some of the representatives are very clued up, but others are not.

(I've never used the Live Chat).

If you do go through all that, let us know how you got on.