3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2007 5:20 AM by kglad

How to find variables in an fla file?

ariphys
      Hello all,

I purchased a flash web template that is very complex, and have been learning flash more earnestly from it. I only know how to find actionscripts by clicking on frames in symbols with an "a" One such frame makes refences to _root.READ = 1 (another 2, 3, etc). Unfortunately I cannot find what "READ" is. Can someone help me with how is "best" to find variable declarations in a complex fla file with no familiarity with its creation?

The specific coade I am looking at references a pop-up window:

on (release) {
      _root.popup_pressed = 1;
      _root.scrHEIGHT = 555;
      _root.scroller.scroller.gotoAndStop(2);
      _root.TM_title = "Advertising and Marketing";
      _root.READ = 1;
      _root.scroller.gotoAndPlay("s1");
      }

All the best!
      Michael
        • 1. Re: How to find variables in an fla file?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          unfortunately, when poor coding technique is used, the code that uses _root.READ could be attached to any frame in any movieclip in that fla. and you have a fla that uses poor coding technique.

there's no way within flash to easily search for all occurrences of _root.READ. if you have a decompiler, you can use that to search for all locations of any object/variable.
          • 2. Re: How to find variables in an fla file?
            ariphys Level 1
            Thank you. I am also not savvy with flash (yet), and after I posted this I noticed an unexpanded list in the action pane which shows variables (left bottom corner). This alone was a big help. I also discovered the "Movie Explorer" and typing "READ" into that only gives me "Scene1" (the top level clip).

I wanted to ask a follow-up question to your posting. I thought that only frames marked with "a" had actionscript code in them, but from your reply it seems that variables can be declared in ANY frame? So, to find the variable "READ" I need to click on each frame to find it?

Best regards,
            Michael
            • 3. Re: How to find variables in an fla file?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              code CAN be attached to any frame. when code IS attached to a frame, it must be a keyframe and an "a" appears in the timeline to indicate actionscript is attached.

however, code can, unfortunately, also be attached to a movieclip (or button), as in your first post. there's no way to find that code except to click on each movieclip in each timeline's keyframes and check the actions panel.