4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2013 5:34 PM by ajsdesigns

Out of Memory with InDesign CC

ajsdesigns

I have a new computer (ASUS-Windows 8 (I hate it), Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU@2.40GHz, 16 GB DDRS, 64-bit OS, x64-based processor, 1024 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive). While working in InDesign CC on a 24 page newsletter, I get an "out of memory" popup that forces me to leave InDesign. I have done this newsletter for the past ten years, so the parameters have never changed. I've had no problems until using CC. I have a creative cloud membership (I love it). This also happened on my old computer. I'd done this same project on my old computer for three years using CS4 and CS6. When I downloaded CC, I got the "out of memory" popup. This prompted me to buy a new computer (which I figured it was time anyway). But now I have the same problem. I bought the best computer I could afford and I don't think I'm lacking in any area.

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Out of Memory with InDesign CC
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's something about that newsletter that is corrupt. Have you been using the same file for the last ten years? Or the same art, logos, etc.? You may want to trash it and rebuild from scratch, or at least export INX/IDML and reopen & resave.

My clients mostly ignored my advice to not open old INDDs in CC and resave, but instead to export INX or IDML and open that in CC. So I've seen quite a few buggy documents over the last two months.

I'm pretty sure that 100% of the "out of memory" errors I've encountered using InDesign since CS1 have boiled down to bugs or corrupt documents or memory leaks, not actual problems with the size of my publications and the amount of memory installed.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Out of Memory with InDesign CC
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

ajsdesigns wrote:

1024 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive

If your user profile is on that ssd that could be the problem. ID uses the temp folder in the user profile for swap.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Out of Memory with InDesign CC
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

But of course Joel also makes a VERY good point. We see LOTS of problems here with directly converted legacy .indd files.

• 4. Re: Out of Memory with InDesign CC
                ajsdesigns Level 1

Hi Joel (and Peter),

I understand what you're saying, but when using this file in my old computer with cs6, I had no problems until I downloaded CC on that old computer. That's when the problem happened. Also, I did another project (128 pages) on my old computer and started it in CS6 then went to CC and had the same problem.

What I'll do is try to save my old documents by exporting INX and then reopen them in CC. If it continues to happen, I'll come back and ask for more help.

Thanks to both of you!