13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2013 4:56 PM by A.T. Romano

Get Media From Files & Folders is Broken

lillianstreet

In premiere elements 9, whenever I go to organize, get media, files and folders, it takes 30 seconds to open the explorer window, and when it does it comes up blank. It still has the tabs on the side like recent places and desktop, but no matter what I click or do, it wont show any files or folders! What do I do?

• 1. Re: Get Media From Files & Folders is Broken
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Something is definitely up with your operating system! Which operating system are you using?

Have you manually gone to Windows Update and ensured you have the hidden or non-critical updates as well as those that install automatically?

When did you last run Disk Cleanup and the Disk Defragmenter?

If none of that works, what processor and how much RAM do you have? And, most importantly, how much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Get Media From Files & Folders is Broken
            A.T. Romano Level 7

lillianstreet

More questions to add to SG's questions....

Are you running Premiere Elements 9 as the 9.0.1 Update?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed?

Are you running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Now that we have gotten the usual questions out of the way.....

1. Is your video card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card?

2. If the video card driver is up to date, then delete the BadDrivers.txt file found in the Windows 7 or 8 64 bit path:

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

3. We could try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Pref file or the whole folder that it exists

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elemens Prefs file that you delete. Same comment as above regarding the Folder Option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives".

4. After that comes the uninstall, run through of ccleaner, reinstall.

We will be watching your progress and your replies to SG.

Thanks.

ATR

With all those questions, I nearly forgot to ask "Is this a it never worked before issue" or "Did this work before but not now" type issue?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Get Media From Files & Folders is Broken
              lillianstreet Level 1

1. Windows 7, 64 bit

2. Yes I have.

3. Just today I did both.

4. 4GB of RAM and 370GB of free hard drive space.

• 4. Re: Get Media From Files & Folders is Broken
                lillianstreet Level 1

I tried all of your suggestions, but still, nothing seems to be working. It just freezez, then opens up a blank browser window. Plus, I don't remember ever using this feature until now to import some specific file types.

• 5. Re: Get Media From Files & Folders is Broken
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

liilianstreet

Thanks for the follow up.

I have a few things I would like you to try in an attempt to define the issue further.

What are the properties of the source media that you are trying to import from their hard drive save location? How much content do you already have in Project Media and on the Timeline when you do this Add Media/Files and Folders? If you are in the Elements Organizer 9, can you right click one of the thumbnails there, select Edit with Premiere Elements, and have that file imported into the Premiere Elements workspace?

Do you have Windows Live Movie Maker installed with your Windows 7 64 bit? If so, try to import the same videos and/or photos into Windows Live Movie Maker and observe if you have the same problems when you go to add media to that project in that program.

What opens after you click on the Start Button, type in "Windows Explorer" in the Search Field above the Start button, and open Windows Explorer? Is everything presenting as expected?

Do you have the Premiere Elements 9 installation disc, if we are forced to go for a complete deactivation, uninstall, ccleaner run, and reinstall?

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Get Media From Files & Folders is Broken
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Windows 7, 64 bit (with Premiere Elements 9)

PE9 is old enough that it is 32bit only, so what MAY help is to right click the program icon and select WinXP compatibility mode from the option popup

• 7. Re: Get Media From Files & Folders is Broken
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

Just a note...Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is fully compatible with Windows 7 64 bit even though it is there as a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system with all the limitations of a 32 bit system.

It is also compatible with Windows 8 64 bit.

Hoping that more information will surface from requested information from both of us.

ATR

• 8. Re: Get Media From Files & Folders is Broken
                        lillianstreet Level 1

I'm  trying to import .tga files from my C drive when there is nothing else in the project. Plus, i don't think Organizer can't import numbered stills so it's pointless. When I use WLMM it imports file fine, and when I open windows explorer regularly it's fine too. I also don't have an installation disc since Premiere Elements came with my computer. Nothing has worked so far, and I have tried everything else I could think of.

• 9. Re: Get Media From Files & Folders is Broken
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

lillianstreet

First upgrading from 9.0/9.0.1 is not going to solve your problem, unless the upgrade is to version 10. Both Premiere Elements 11 and 12 do not support .tga.

But, in your particular instance, this is an operating system Premiere Elements interaction which I do not see targeting .tga, but rather anything you try to import into the project with the program's Get Media/Files and Folders. Is that corrrect? I want to make sure on this. That is, when the Add Media dialog appears after you hit Files and Folders, what does it show in the field for "Files of type:" at the bottom of the dialog? Does it show "All Supported Files" or something else? If something else, then what?

Did I read what you wrote correctly, you are trying to import "numbered .tga stills" into Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 as a single video file?

Please review and then we will see what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Get Media From Files & Folders is Broken
                            lillianstreet Level 1

Yes, this is a problem that happens when I try to import files into the project using Get Media/Files and Folders, I don't believe it has anything to do with the types of files, since the problem is I can't acess any of them. At the bottom it does have the selection box for files types, and it looks perfectly normal, I can even select one, but the browser will stay blank even if I try to click Recent Places, Desktop, Libraries, etc. And yes, I am trying to import the .tga files as a single video file.

• 11. Re: Get Media From Files & Folders is Broken
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

llianstreet

For troubleshooting in Premiere Elements on this, we are more or less confined to Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and 10 since, after those versions, Premiere Elements does not support .tga. But right now .tga seems the least of your issues. And, you have tried Files of Type: All Formats in the Add Media dialog and still the same essentially nothing?

How about this?

1. Put copies of your sequentially ordered .tga files in a folder on the computer desktop.

2. Open Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 to the Project Media view.

3. Resize the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 workspace so that you can see the Folder with the .tga files on the computer desktop.

4. Drag the Folder with the .tga files from the computer desktop into the blank space in Project Media.

I have road tested this, and this is what it should look like (I am using Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit)

PE9.JPG

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...If that works, the next step is to drag the closed folder to the Timeline. You will then see your ordered stills there. Duration of each (all at one time) can be adjusted to the same with Time Stretch).

• 12. Re: Get Media From Files & Folders is Broken
                                lillianstreet Level 1

Thanks, after trying your suggestion, I tried adding media again, and the dialogue box came up correctly, and actually showed files and locations correctly. Thanks Again!

• 13. Re: Get Media From Files & Folders is Broken
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

lillianstreet

That is great great news. We were hoping for a workaround at best. And, the news that the original Get Media function got triggered to work properly after the workaround was welcomed and applauded. Great job on follow up.

Continued success.

ATR