7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 9:33 AM by Lady Rocketeer

placed images/files disappearing from Creative Cloud

Lady Rocketeer Level 1

I am getting a little frustrated as every time I open a couple of my Indesign documents, one or two of the placed PDFs is gone from Cloud. I have to go back to the emails, search for the client's file, reformat, etc. and then resave to CC, and then relink in Indesign. How stable or unstable is Cloud? Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

• 1. Re: placed images/files disappearing from Creative Cloud
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What does gone from Cloud mean?

• 2. Re: placed images/files disappearing from Creative Cloud
            Lady Rocketeer Level 1

I save a file to my Creative Cloud desktop application. I place it in an Indesign document saved in my Creative Cloud desktop application. I save the file. Close the file.

When I open the document later to continue working on it, when it is opening it states "one or more linked files is missing". In the links panel it has a red triangle with an exclaimation mark. When I hover over it, it shows the file location as being where I saved it, but the file is no longer there... neither in my desktop Creative Cloud nor online.

• 3. Re: placed images/files disappearing from Creative Cloud
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure what's going on and to be as honest as possible, this is

one feature of CC that I just don't trust, yet. I use Dropbox for this

type of thing.

• 4. Re: placed images/files disappearing from Creative Cloud
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I tend to agree. I've still heard of too many problems of files being duplicated, or missing with Creative Cloud. I don't think Adobe yet has the cloud expertise that Dropbox has acquired. Dropbox rules when it comes to file syncing!

It takes a while to get it right: I'm a long-time Apple product user, and MobileMe a few years ago had lots of glitches. Finally, years later, iCloud is virtually flawless for moving data between various Apple devices.

• 5. Re: placed images/files disappearing from Creative Cloud
                  Lady Rocketeer Level 1

I have been using dropbox for years and it is so awesome, and fast. Creative Cloud is slower, and it appears it should work on the same basics as Dropbox, I do know if I shut my computer down too quickly, files sometimes do not get saved/updated correctly. The other day Creative Cloud was down for the evening, although you are still able to access the desktop Creative Cloud, but it worries me that if I work from home, save files, then have to go on location to a client, open the files remotely, will the files always be there...

I want to know if anyone else is having issues with files disappearing, mine are mostly PDFs clients send me, mostly I only change the color destination, but sometimes I change emails, wording etc. so I have to search around for the client revisions and redo the work...

Are there other steps to do to the pdfs, perhaps there is a conflct in metadata, or other attributes?

I have been using CC for two months now.

• 6. Re: placed images/files disappearing from Creative Cloud
                    Jan Lanckriet Level 1

I tried to place about 5 digital negatives from my camera on de CC-cloud for 3 days now ; every time I restart my computer, there are a few of the placed files deleted....

This mornig there where only 2 files that stayed where they should - 3 of them just dissapeared... I tried to place them back, but this behavier is unacceptable (lucky I have a back-up elsewhere). At this time I cannot trust the Cloud-drive !

Just checked at noon : again 3 files disapeared... without warning just gone on the CC-Cloud desktop map ???? I copied them back and wait how long they stay there...

1 hour later : disapeard again ! And this on CC-team membership. Indead, you need a team to keep te cloud up-to-date and ta check what is missing ! I had other expectations !

In stead of adding the files to the desktop map, I added them directly in the cloud using my browser... So far so good... It looks that they stay in place as they should...

• 7. Re: placed images/files disappearing from Creative Cloud
                      Lady Rocketeer Level 1

ok well at least I know I am not the only one with this issue. I have my Indesign files duplicate often (conflicted copies being created while I am working on the document). I will have to stop using CCloud and use dropbox or an external drive, I don't want to jeapordize losing work.