2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2007 10:28 PM by greatestates

Please help! Can't Select anything to work on...

greatestates

I am brand new to Fireworks and just downloaded the trial version to see if its something that would be useful to me. Right from the get-go I've run into a big problem, and am embarrased to say I have no clue how to fix it! I've used Photoshop Elements & regular PS for years, although I'm not a power user by any means. But I am familiar with the basics, which is all I'm trying to do right now...

I can't seem to Select any part of my image to work on. I created a new png file, copied in a a picture I want to use as a banner, and just want to add some text to it. However, none of the buttons will activate except for the marquee tool. Not the select arrows, or the crop tool, or text - nothing. I thought maybe I'd set up the file wrong or something, so I then just opened the jpg file I'd used to copy into the png, and the same thing happened. My pics are not selectable at all, so I can't do anything to them to try out this great new software!

Can anyone help? I've been reading the help files, but all of the advice is geared toward post-select issues. There's nothing on what to do if you can't even get that far. Thanks in advance for any advice!