4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 9:32 AM by Todd_Kopriva

After Effects CS6 Crashes using Mavericks

damnskat

So i updated my work computer to the new Maverick OS update. Everytime i open an After Effects project up over the server it crashes. I never had this problem before and until after i installed Mavericks. Is this something you guys are working on?

• 1. Re: After Effects CS6 Crashes using Mavericks
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you downloaded the bug fix update for CS6 yet?

• 2. Re: After Effects CS6 Crashes using Mavericks
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

One thing to be aware of:

When you upgrade a Mac OS (as opposed to installing the new version fresh), Mac OS will _often_ set permissions of folders and files incorrectly.

You'll see this problem in programs like After Effects in the form of error messages saying that a file can't be written, overwritten, or renamed. And, sometimes, the inability to write to a preferences file can cause a crash.

To fix this in the case of After Effects, go to the preferences folder and set the _entire_ preferences folder ( /Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/11.0/ ) and all of its contents to be writable, not read-only.

If this doesn't fix your problem then post back with more details.

Oh, and by the way, Mavericks completely changes the way that Mac OS works with QuickTime files. So, try a project without QuickTime files and see if the problem happend without QuickTime media.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: After Effects CS6 Crashes using Mavericks
              DavidMoriya

I cannot find folder

/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/11.0/

And what do you mean by

Mavericks completely changes the way that Mac OS works with QuickTime files. So, try a project without QuickTime files and see if the problem happend without QuickTime media.

Anyway to fix it?

I open my After effects on Mavericks and it starts out fine, but when I open a project, it just crashes without any errors. The one thing I have noticed though is that when i open a project that my media is missing, it will open, but if I try to connect the media, it crashes. My after effects did work on the first day i had mavericks, but not anytime after that. And I don't think it's becuase I added a SSD to my macbook pro. It was working before that and the first day of mavericks.

I am using 11.0.3

Edit. I found out my problem lies within a plugin that I installed. The projects that I used had Denoisers II and everytime I opened them, it didn't work. So now I have to find a fix for that. At least now I can work on the projects I need.

• 4. Re: After Effects CS6 Crashes using Mavericks
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I cannot find folder /Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/11.0/

Mac OS hides it by default. See this:

http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/productivity/how-to-reveal-your-library-folder-in-lion-o r-mountain-lion/

And what do you mean by

Mavericks completely changes the way that Mac OS works with QuickTime files. So, try a project without QuickTime files and see if the problem happend without QuickTime media.

I mean that Apple has deprecated QuickTime in their new operating system, replacing it with the AV Foundation platform. I recommend going to Apple's forums for information about those changes.

1 person found this helpful