12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2013 1:15 PM by Bill Gehrke

4k basic editing, i7 4930K or E5?

Kingsley Bailey

My build will be used to work in Premiere with Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) at both 1920x1080 and 3840 x 2160. Primarily the majority of my work will consist of basic edits, with no heavy After Effects work at all.

My question is should I go with an over clocked I7 4930k or get a more expensive E5 8 core with a higher L3 cache / or even a dual E5 system?

Option 1 : i7 4930k over-clocked to about 4.5Ghz

Option 2 : E5-2660 v2 Ivy Bridge-EP 2.2GHz 25MB L3 Cache 10-Core

Option 3 : 2 x E5-2630 v2 Ivy Bridge-EP 2.6GHz 15MB L3 Cache 6-Core

I have just finished University with a huge debt and want to insure my system will last effectively for awhile. I'm by no means rich but can afford the above set ups with 32gb ram / 64 if I really need. Ideally if the cheaper i7 option is sufice I can the extra money elsewhere.

I purely run off SSD's and am also planning on getting a 4gb GPU or potentially 2 of them (if needed? / advice please)

I really, really, REALLY appreciate any advice or suggestions, thank you.

• 2. Re: 4k basic editing, i7 4930K or E5?
          Kingsley Bailey Level 1

I tried that page awhile ago on an ipad but gave up, now on a laptop and wish I read before posting! Thank you.

I have between 3-4K without having to include monitors (But everything else)

Defiantly advise building a lower spec dual E5 system over a better single CPU? 

Just thinking in the long run I might have to upgrade two Processors rather than just buying another beast 

• 3. Re: 4k basic editing, i7 4930K or E5?
            cc_merchant Level 4

iPad is problematic for these pages, due to the lacking Flash support on iPad's.

With that budget, very limited AE use foreseen, it looks the Low-end Warrior or Warrior are more realistic choices. Your intention to use only SSD's will increase costs significantly, especially with storage hungry material like ProRes 4K. BTW, why ProRes? Have you read the warning here: Tweakers Page.

Upgrading a CPU can be problematic, as with the coming Haswell-E, which is not pin-compatible with SB-E or IB-E, even though it is still based on the 2011 socket. So it requires a new mobo and possibly DDR-4 memory as well. Same for the Xeon range.

• 4. Re: 4k basic editing, i7 4930K or E5?
              Kingsley Bailey Level 1

I will be shooting primarliy on the Blackmagic 4k so the only opitions are ProRes 422 and CinemaDNG RAW. I can get a good deal through a friend at Crucal and having multiple SSD's mean more space when filming as the BM4k takes 2.5"

So DNG RAW would be smoother than ProRes?

Thanks again for the help,  

• 5. Re: 4k basic editing, i7 4930K or E5?
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Cineform would be the ideal codec to deal with the DNG media. DNG has better quality than Pro Res but Pro Res performs better and is supported by Premiere. DNG has to be transcoded as you know or load in AE comp and link to Premiere for support in Premiere. The performance is poor that way though. Cinema DNG converts to Cineform with a near negligible differential so there is no loss while maintaining the quality in a Wavelet based codec. I would recommend that if you want the highest quality.

Until Quicktime gets updated on Windows then 32 bit limitation makes a single CPU system perform better with Pro Res than a Dual. I would also suggest a faster 6 core over a Xeon since Quicktime doesn't thread as well on Windows. If you decide on Cineform as the intermediary then the single E5-Xeon 10 core would be ideal. Cineform threads very well and gives you the option for AVI instead of MOV. That eliminates the 32 bit limitation and threading performance.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: 4k basic editing, i7 4930K or E5?
                  Kingsley Bailey Level 1

So a batch conversion to Cineform will help smooth things out, and a single higher spec E5 is the better choice.

If i was to edit offline at a lower res would an i7 4930k be suffice with a Cineform format?

Thanks Eric

• 7. Re: 4k basic editing, i7 4930K or E5?

Cineform has a low compression level and high performance with AVI that the 6 Core will handle the 4K media fine. No need to off line that media.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: 4k basic editing, i7 4930K or E5?
                      Kingsley Bailey Level 1

My final question is my monitor will be a Seiki Digital 50-inch 4k 120Hz, regrding a GPU will a GTX 650 be suffice? or will I really notice the differnce with a 670?

Current build plan

i7 4930k

Corsair h100i

ASRock X79 Extreme 6 ATX                                ( my first build / not confident on how to update Rampage IV BIOS )

Corsair Vengenance 32gb 4x8 DDR3 1866       

Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD

Crucial M500 960gb SSD

Seagate Constellation ES.3 2TB 7200RPM       

I am researching into raid controllers

Still unsure about a case and power supply, appreicate any advice.

Thanks for the help!

• 9. Re: 4k basic editing, i7 4930K or E5?

The 650Would handle the display but I would suggest the 770GTX or the 780GTX for that. A 850W PSU or higher is what I suggest. If you plan to install another GPU down the road then get 1200W.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: 4k basic editing, i7 4930K or E5?
                          Kingsley Bailey Level 1

Planned build - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/kingsleybailey%40hotmail.com/saved/2HVR

I am umming and arrring over the GPU, its about a 10% budget increase from a 770 2gb to a 780 3gb

I do have the money and further down the line do plan on buying a second for sli, I just want to know will the 780 be that much more of a benifit?

Thank you all who have responded above I am very greatfull and excited to order my first build!

Kingsley

• 11. Re: 4k basic editing, i7 4930K or E5?

4K media would use the power of the 780GTX card so yes it would be worth it.

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: 4k basic editing, i7 4930K or E5?
                              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This next week nVidia is introducing a new GTX 780 Ti card and dropping current pricing on the GTX 780.

"Starting this week, Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 (GK110, 2304 stream processors, 192 texture units, 48 render output units, 384-bit memory bus, 3GB GDDR5 memory) costs $499"

$499  = 312.70 British Pound Sterling