9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 11:57 AM by Jeffrey Tranberry

Error in Your Display Driver

Hennepin451

I just installed Photoshop CC v14.1.2 x64 on a box and it grumbles at me when I launch the program.  It says "Photoshop detected an error in your display driver.  Update or reinstall the driver and check Use Graphics Processor to retry."

Checking the graphics driver it is indeed up to date. 

Setup:

Win7 Pro 64 bit

Video cards: mv video hook driver2 (disabled)

Nvidia Quadro K4000, v9.18.13.2902

Any suggestions on what to look at and try?  The graphics options in Photoshop are simply greyed out.

• 1. Re: Error in Your Display Driver
          Level 7

Did you update the driver from NVidia's website?

Also, check the Photoshop Help->System Info log for more information about your GPU?

• 2. Re: Error in Your Display Driver
            Hennepin451 Level 1

The driver has been updated both through Device Manager and directly from Nvidia's site.  There were no new drivers detected in either case.

The system info log doesn't appear to have any information that I can interpret--just ten pages of data that looks like it's best read by an Adobe tech.  The relevent section on the video card says

The GPU Sniffer crashed on 10/28/2013 at 1:45:18 PM

Display: 1

Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=900, right=1440

OpenGL Drawing: Disabled.

OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.

NumGPUs=1

A search on GL and GPU in the document didn't turn up any additional useful information.

One last minor detail I forgot in the original post: the video card is indeed on Adobe's approved hardware list.

• 3. Re: Error in Your Display Driver
              Level 7

Ignore the Device Manager/Microsoft - those drivers are years out of date.

Always update from the GPU maker's website.

Your driver still has a bug that caused GL calls to crash.

Either you have a problem with a dirty install of the driver, still have an out of date driver (probably from Microsoft), or the current driver still has a bug on your system/GPU combo.

Make sure you have the latest driver from Nvidia, and if that doesn't work, contact NVidia so they can help you figure out what is wrong with the driver and your system.

• 4. Re: Error in Your Display Driver
                Hennepin451 Level 1

No joy on an install direct from Nvidia's site nor from Dell.  I triple checked to make sure all drivers are indeed certified to work with Photoshop.

• 5. Re: Error in Your Display Driver
                  Hennepin451 Level 1

I've also installed several older drivers for the card and Photoshop also kicked out errors for them.  It seems more likely that this is a Photoshop bug as it's unlikely that Nvidia would get the card certified in the first place if it had this serious of an error.  Also the interwebs would be full of posts from people who were having issues and I don't see that when I search.

• 6. Re: Error in Your Display Driver
                    Level 7

No, it is not a Photoshop bug.  Your video card driver is returning an error as the warning told you.

And most people solve the problem very quickly by updating their driver from the GPU maker's website.

If you have problems with the latest driver, please contact NVidia so they can determine the cause of the error on your system.

• 7. Re: Error in Your Display Driver
                      Hennepin451 Level 1

I'm sorry, but I'm going to need some stronger convincing than simply loudly declaring "it's not a bug."  While I have no doubt that most people have indeed resolved the problem by updating the driver, that has not fixed the problem in this case.

What I need is data so I can follow this problem down the rabbit hole and get the issue resolved for my users.  If GPU Sniffer is finding an error, then there should be an error log on the system that I can pass on to a tech to interpret.

In god we trust.  All others must bring data.

• 8. Re: Error in Your Display Driver
                        Level 4

I have the same problem on MacBookPro. I just installed Creative Cloud desktop app, installed OUTDATED Photshop.

So i found problem with freezing when you try open file. So i killed photoshop, close Adobe Crappy App. I suddenly there was an update for Photoshop.

I installed that update and now it's a problem with graphics driver. Could you help me please with updating driver on Macintosh?

You could at least warn me that this i a beta software.

• 9. Re: Error in Your Display Driver
                          Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Directions for sharing your system info from Photoshop:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_how_do_i_share_my_system_i nformation