24 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2013 9:32 AM by FAMS RSS

MXF export with audio problems

FAMS Community Member

Hi!

At the brodcast station that I work we recently upgrade to premiere CC. Our workflow are almost XDCAM files (MXF) and whe an edition is finished we export to MXF to play out or copy to XDCAM disc.

Recently I have a multi camera project and everything works perfect but when I export to an MXF file the sound as a "blank frame" in sound. The concert as an hour and twenty minutes and at the fisrt second

theres is that little "cut" in sound that doesn't exist in timeline.

I tryed various ways to export and everytime I got this frame in the same place. I also export timelines with 2 minutes from other projects, more simple, and always I got a "blank frame" somewhere in audio.

Tryed to export with 2 channels, 8 channels, stereo timeline multichannel timeline and everything result in a MXF in this audio issue.

Anyone already detect this exporting to MXFs, any sugestion to resolve this problem?

• 1. Re: MXF export with audio problems
          JSS1138 Community Member

I just ran a short test with stereo output to both XDCAM EX and XDCAM HD.  Both worked fine.  In addition, I've not had any issues with the AVC-I or DNxHD MXF files I've created.

• 2. Re: MXF export with audio problems
            FAMS Community Member

Everything we export is with presets or base in presets in PAL 720x576 IMX30/50 wide or 4:3.

This issue is driving me crazy because I cant export this jobs in perfect condition to a video file.

I already export to Digital Betacam, using serial device export, and no problem.

Dont understand this situation!

• 3. Re: MXF export with audio problems
              JSS1138 Community Member

Just tested both IMX 30 and 50 PAL presets and both worked fine.

What are you using to play back fhe files?

• 4. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                FAMS Community Member

I play out the files with VLC and to confirm the problem I imported the exported MXF file

to timeline and there is the "blank frame". I already did an export at the midle of the timeline

and same again, the frame 00h00m01s00f as the same blank frame. Like I said before, any

export to MXF in this project result in a "blank audio frame" at the first second.

In other projects same happens and sometimes instead of the first frame is the first minute or

30 seconds, but always a "blank audio frame" somewhere.

I dont know why this happens!

• 5. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                  JSS1138 Community Member

I'm also not seeing anything so far stands that out as a possible cause.

As a test, export the timeline to some other format, creating an Intermediate file.  Then bring that Intermediate back into PP and export to MXF from that.  Same problem?

• 6. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                    norok65 Community Member

Yes I can confirm this is an issue with us aswell. I noticed this a few months back and did a post also did alerted Adobe that this is a bug. I have ended up using adobe cs6 to output to this format as MXF is all they use in NZ for TV Commercial playout. The issue consistantly comes up at 1 sec into the audio production and I have had others comment that they get the same issue. It was after we did an update. One of our computers recently got fixed and we reinstalled adobe premiere cs 6 and also cc onto it. The issue also has come about in the cs6 update. Which i'm concerned about since we now can't update any of our cs 6 version incase this glitch leaves us with no editing suite to export using this.

• 7. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                      FAMS Community Member

Thank you norok65 for replying this post.

I searched for some post with my problem and I didn't find so I post this one. I'm "glad" that I'm not the only one having this Kind of problem.

Like you said the problem cames with some updates. We used Premiere CS5 and no problem with MXF. We tryed the CS6 to possible update and

at the begining no problem but after some updates this problem appears and we abandoned the CS6 and we tested the CC. No problem with CC

and we did the migration. So, CC export MXFs with no problem but after some updates the audio problems came up again.

I think the problem is the updates and Adobe must fix this.

Jim, I already did some tests and exported only audio to WAV and no problem. Other formats like quictime no problem too.

This kind of problem only appears with MXF.

Like I said our workflow are almost everything in MXF (XDCAM) and we wish this issue can be solved.

• 8. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                        JSS1138 Community Member

What happens if you bring that WAV file back into PP, put it on the timeline and create the MXF from that?

I wouldn't necessarily wait for Adobe to solve this one.  It's not a commonly reported problem around here, and I can't reproduce it, which means Adobe may not even have it logged as a bug.  It could just be a system issue for a few people.

• 9. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                          norok65 Community Member

It's a major issue, cs6 version 6.0.3 is fine, 6.0.5 is stuffed up.The upgrade we did in CC is stuffed up. Its definitly a bug as we are seeing the issue come up with media uploads. I did do a detail report of the bug to adobe but i dont know where that has got to. I have advise the media uploading company about this issue down here in nz and aussie and to keep an eye out since this is our main format now getting it to station. What version of cs 6 are u using Jim? Try the update, this happens no matter what i do, i have tried almost everything

• 10. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                            korU Community Member

Logged in with my other profile here is my previous link which you already commented on jim so I think that might be the issue seen for the above comment: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5645157#5645157

• 11. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                              JSS1138 Community Member

I just did another test using 6.0.5 and do hear a very brief audio dropout.  My testing in this thread has been with CC, originally 7.0.1 and just now again with 7.1, and my MXF exports have been fine in all tests, including IMX30 PAL.

So that begs the question, have you guys using CC updated, or are you using the original 7.0 release?

• 12. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                                FAMS Community Member

The Premiere CC and Media Encoder are updated with the last updates and problem still there.

Its a "drop audio frame" like you said.

At monday I can do the test exporting in othe format and import again to timeline and exporting again in MXF.

norok65 and KorU, whitch SO you are working? MAC or Windows?

I'm using MAC OS X and dont know if windows SO same happens.

• 13. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                                  Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

I'd like some more info:

1) does it happen if you disable the smart rendering option?

2) where specifically is the dropout relative to the original material?  Is it always close to a cutpoint?  If you change the cutpoint, does it move the same relative distance?

• 14. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                                    shooternz Community Member

I have ended up using adobe cs6 to output to this format as MXF is all they use in NZ for TV Commercial playout

Absolutely not true!

• 15. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                                      FAMS Community Member

1) I think you refer the "render with maximum quality" option and I must say that already try with and without and same happens.

2) Dropout happens everytime at the first second. If I export just a in/out at the middle of the timeline the first at 00h:00m:01:00f has the

drop audio frame.

• 16. Re: MXF export with audio problems

For 1), I was talking about under the video options for XDCAMHD, there's a checkbox for smart rendering that's now enabled by default. 

Are you using the MXF OP1a format for export?  If so, what preset?

• 17. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                                          FAMS Community Member

I just use the PAL IMX 30/50 4:3 and wide

• 18. Re: MXF export with audio problems

I just tried & can't repro.  I created a sweeping sine wave file going from 20 Hz to 20 kHz via Audition's tone generator, imported into PPro.  Threw it into an HD 25 fps timeline, added a counting leader.  Exported to MXF Op1a using IMX 50 Pal preset.  The audio is pristine throughout the export.

(This is with the latest 7.1 CC release)

• 19. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                                              JSS1138 Community Member

Same here.  No issues with 7.0.1. or the newest 7.1.  Only 6.0.5 shows the error on my end.

• 20. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                                                Dragga010 Community Member

Im also experiencing this problem.  This is really screwing me up because i need to have commercials on air and I keep getting the problem everyone here is describing!!!  todays gonna suck!

• 21. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                                                  FAMS Community Member

Yesterday I did an update to Premiere CC and today with the software updated (version 7.1) I export an MXF clip in the same conditions that I did before and the problem is gone (disappears the "drop audio frame" at the first second). Before this update I also "turn off the acceleration from GPU" and "turn on the acceleration by software" and with this I had to render all the timelines. Eaven with this change the problem still there. I think this update is responsable for the solution.

In the next days I will do some more tests and exports to see if the "solution remains".

I will say something next week.

• 22. Re: MXF export with audio problems

I tracked it down: you're correct, this is an issue that was fixed in 7.1.  (Bug # 3628065).  We had fixed a bug in the 7.0 where sometimes exports would have a truncated video frame at the end of the file, but it introduced this issue where audio could be sent to the muxer before it was ready to be written.  It only manifested itself with IMX formats.

• 23. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                                                      JSS1138 Community Member

That explains why my other 7.0.1 tests worked fine.  I didn't test the IMX until after the update to 7.1.

• 24. Re: MXF export with audio problems
                                                        FAMS Community Member

Hi!

Like I said, exported MXF files during last week and no problem with audio.

I think problem as really gone and hope never came again.

Thanks all for posting.