8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2013 9:46 PM by turboshark

clips suddenly turned bad

turboshark

(premiere elements 10) why do my clips suddenly need to be rendered after I drag them onto the timeline?  They didn't before (in this or any other project), and now the video quality is bad in the preview.  Even after the render is complete, the image is too bright, and orange-y, and the shadows have bad artifacts.  Not all the clips in the media page are like that, it just seemed to suddenly happen. All clips off the same camera, all with the same framrate.   When I click on the clips themselves, they look good off of the source.  It's only in premiere elements.  Is there a folder I need to empty?

edit: for clarification

• 1. Re: clips suddenly turned bad
          A.T. Romano Level 7

turboshark

What video card are you using? If it is NVIDIA, then I think that I have an immediate answer to your issue.

There has been an epidemic of Premiere Elements 10 users (with NVIDIA video cards) who have run into display issues. Check out the history on this.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675?tstart=30

The answer has been to roll back the video card driver, rather than seek out a latest version of the video card driver.

Depending on your answer, you may want to contact NVIDIA about this matter to get input specific to your situation. Several have already and have reported good results taking that route rather than the do it yourself way.

We will be looking forward to your follow up with further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: clips suddenly turned bad
            turboshark Level 1

Thanks for the reply!

I have an AMD Radeon HD 6450.

• 3. Re: clips suddenly turned bad
              A.T. Romano Level 7

turboshark

That was good and bad news. So much for the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card driver angle. But, my first impression is that this is a video card and/or video card driver related issue.

Please head for the ADM web site and verify that you have the latest version of your video card driver installed.

The other typical drill questions include:

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on the computer with your Premiere Elements?

and

Are you running Premiere Elements as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Have you been doing a lot of rendering the Timeline? Then you could check for pile ups in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder (preview files). Also look at the Media Cache Folder (conformed audio cfa and pek sets). Also, check out Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and click the Clean button in the Media Cache Database location.

And are you confirming "this worked before (same everything), but not now"?

Please review and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: clips suddenly turned bad
                turboshark Level 1

I downloaded the latest driver for the video card. I have the latest version of Quicktime.

I am running as the Administrator.

I have done a lot of rendering on the timeline (honestly, it's been automatic so far, unless I've had a title or something.)  I can't find the preview files folder.  I clicked the clean button on the Media Cache Database location.

Everything is the same as it always is. If I manually go in and adjust the brightness of the clip, the colors are still too red, and the contrast is bad.  Also, tried to delete the clip from the project and re-"Get Media", but with the same results.  Thanks for your help!

edit: found the preview files.  Do I delete all of them for this project?

• 5. Re: clips suddenly turned bad
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

turboshark

I am not sure if I have missed it, so I will ask "What is the computer operating system on which you are running your Premiere Elements 10?" For now I will assume Windows 7 or 8 64 bit.

By default, the Adobe Folder is in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10.0. There you will find the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder with the preview files. For SD projects (video or stills) the preview files will be DV AVI. For HD project (video or stills) the preview files with be MPEG2.mpg and should have a companion .xmp file. The Media Cache Folder with the conformed audio cfa and pek files should be in that 10.0 Folder also. But, to verify the location, check Premiere Elements 10 workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. That location should tell you where the preview and Media Cache are directed and (important) how much free hard drive space is at each location.

I am still thinking video card driver issue....depending on how troubleshooting goes, you might want to consider rolling back the video card driver.

But, before that we might go two classical routes:

a. Deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the path.

b. Deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Same comment about Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives.

Please check out the above. We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...After all of the above, I overlooked the part where you found the preview files. Yes, you can delete the preview files. The consequence will be that, if you need to see the best possible preview in the Edit Mode monitor playback, you will need to render that red lined content again. You can do selective rendering rather than the whole Timeline if necessary. To do that, position the gray tabs of the WorkArea Bar so that they span just the area to be rendered. More later.

• 6. Re: clips suddenly turned bad
                    turboshark Level 1

I was fiddling around with it, (deleting the clip from the project and reloading it off the c drive and then deleted it off the c drive and reloading it from my external seagate drive) and discovered that if I have the same clip and pull it from the external harddrive, it works fine in premiere10.  However, if I pull it off the folder on my C drive it gets those crazy artifacts.  My C drive has plenty of space on it.  I don't understand.  I would prefer not to work directly off my external hard drive going forward.  But this does shed some additional light on the issue.

• 7. Re: clips suddenly turned bad
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

turboshark

Where on the Local Disc C is the folder with your clip? And, when you say that the Local Disc C has plenty of space on it, what is the capacity of the Local Disc C and how much of it is free at this time?

The irony is that most of the time the problem is reversed where problem is resolved working from Local Disc C instead of the external hard drive.

After you get rid of the preview files and conformed audio files, determine if you still see the relationship that you found between file on C versus file on external hard drive.

It is pushing 12:40 am where I am. So, I will check your thread in the light of day to catch up on your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: clips suddenly turned bad
                        turboshark Level 1

Local Disck C > Users > Matthew (me) > My Videos > Project Folder > file

I also just found out if I copy the same file from the project folder and paste it onto my desktop it works fine in premiere 10.  I don't know why it works, but it's working.  Thanks so much for your help!