21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2013 7:28 AM by Eagle Lake resident

How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?

Eagle Lake resident

I recorded a series of TV programs using my PVR.  I recorded those programs on to 5 DVD-RW discs.  When I load a disc into my iMac, the icon is labelled, "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume".  I cannot open the file nor can I import the file into Premiere Elements 10.  Is there any way I can convert this file into a form which my computer will recognize?

• 1. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Eagle Lake resident

First thing we need to know is what is the format of what is on those DVD-RW discs? Can we assume that it is DVD-VIDEO? And, if so, is it DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen?

Given you have Premiere Elements 10 Mac and you have set the project preset for either NTSC or PAL DV Standard or NTSC or PAL DV Widescreen...... Can you insert one of these DVDs into the DVD CD burner tray of your computer?

What happens if you then open Premiere Elements 10 and use Get Media/"DVD Camcorder or PC DVD Drive"/Video Importer?

Can you bring your selected files from the Video Importer (Source: directed to the DVD drive) to the Premiere Elements Timeline after hitting Get Media in the Video Importer dialog?

Have you been there and done that yet?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?
            Eagle Lake resident Level 1

ATR,

Thanks very much for your advice. 

I did change the project presets to NTSC DV Standard and tried to import the file, as you instructed, into Premiere Elements New Project and Organizer.  Neither part of the program would recognize the file.  When I tried to simple drag the file into Project window, the file was not accepted.

I'm not sure what to try next.  I woiuld welcome any further suggestions on your part.

Eagle Lake resident

• 3. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Eagle Lake resident

Thanks for the follow up.

In view of the circumstances, we are going to have to confirm the form on those DVD-RW discs.

When you put one of those DVD discs in the DVD burner tray, go to Computer, right click the drive, and select Open, what do you see for the DVD content? Do you see two folders, one OpenDVD and the other VIDEO_TS? If you do not, please describe and name what you find.

Let us determine what we have and then move forward on your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?

ATR

Thanks for your response. 

No icons appear when I open the disc image.  The content is indicated as "0 items, 1.64 GB available".  Obviously there is something occupying the remainder of the 4.7 GB of the DVD-RW disc, but my computer can't recognize it.

Eagle Lake resident

• 5. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Eagle Lake resident

It would appear that your PVR is recording to a PVR format, not DVD-VIDEO.

So, based on what you have found and I have read, these PVR files need to be converted to a format compatible with your Premiere Elements 10 Mac.

The Internet seems to offer several choices for a converter for this purpose, including MPEG Streamclip.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?

Hi A     .T. Romano

I downloaded MPEG Streamclip and while the program did reject the file, it did at least acknowledge the file.  This is the essage the program displayed: "File Open error; can't open one of the files".

Thanks for the suggestion.

Eagle Lake resident

• 7. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>recorded a series of TV programs using my PVR.  I recorded those programs on to 5 DVD-RW discs.

Does your pvr give you any output options besides what seems to be a default that won't edit?

• 8. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?

Hi John

I actually recorded and partially edited the programs, while doing so, using a "Toshiba DVD Video Recorder D-R5".  I can play these discs on the Toshiba Recorder and on the Panasonic Blu-Ray player SC-BTT273. 

Eagle Lake resident

• 9. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?

Hmm... if you can play the discs on something OTHER than the device which recorded them, that "should" mean they are "standard" DVD movie discs

Do you have access to a different DVD, not BluRay, player... such as at a friend's house?

AND/OR

Do you have a friend with a Windows computer to test reading the discs?

When you create a disc with your pvr, does it have an "explicit" option to close/finalize the disc, or does the pvr manual say that is automatic?

• 10. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Eagle Lake resident

What is the relatioship between the PVR that you cited initially and

using a "Toshiba DVD Video Recorder D-R5".  I can play these discs on the Toshiba Recorder and on the Panasonic Blu-Ray player SC-BTT273.

Anywhere along the line have you seen anything from what you described a PVR with a .pvr file extension?

As far as I know, PVR is a specific device that records to .pvr format. And for the use you have in mind it needs to be converted to another format.

Did you at any time convert these .prv files to another format if you do have .prv files to begin with?

Please clarify.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?

The discs will play on the unit I used to record the program from my PVR.  That unit does have a Finalize function which I used, but it did not enable me to play the disc on my computer.

Great suggestion about playing the discs on a Windows machine.  My wife has just such a machine and the discs DO play it!

I think I might investigate buying Soft Windows, so I can import the discs onto my Mac.

Thanks for all your help!

Eagle Lake resident.

• 12. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?

ATR

I recorded the programs from the satellite signal using my Bell PVR.  In order to make discs, I recorded the files from my PVR using my "Toshiba DVD Video Recorder D-R5".  As I stated initially, my iMac would not recognize the file format of these disc recordings.  Thinking I might try to simply make copies of the recorded discs, I tried to see if the discs would play on another DVD player.  They played successfully on my Blu-Ray player.

The discs also played successfully on my wife's Windows machine.

I think I'm now en route to editing the programs I recorded.

Thanks for your interest.

Eagle Lake resident

• 13. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Eagle Lake resident

Based on your successful playback of these related files on your wife's Windows machine, can you now know what format these files are in?

Are you planning on editing these files (the ones that play on your wife's Windows computer) with Premiere Elements 10 Windows or Mac? On Windows do the files work in a Windows computer player as well as Premiere Elements 10 on that Windows computer?

If you have the time, the details would be of interest to round off the thread topic especially for those who might find themselves in a similar situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?

ATR

Premiere elements is not loaded on my wife's Windows machine.  What I plan to do, hopefully, is to record the disc on the Windows hard drive, change the format into something my iMac would recognize, then burn a disc in the new format.

I would have SoftWindows running on my iMac when I load the disc and hopefully the Mac platform would eventually recognize it.  I would then use the Mac version of Premiere Elements to edit the disc.

I hope this makes sense.

Could you suggest a video format which both platforms would recognize?  If such a format exists, I wouldn't have to purchase SoftWindows.

Thanks for your diligence.

Eagle Lake resident

• 15. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?

I reloaded the disc on my wife's Window's machine.  The files are listed as "Video_TS" and described as "VLC media files".  Through my editing, I divided the program into segments. I managed to copy one program segment onto the desktop, but I couldn't open or play the segment.

• 16. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Eagke Lake resident

VIDEO_TS should be a Folder not a file. And in that Folder are the folders and files that determine the structure of DVD-VIDEO.

Assuming that you mean Folder instead of file....

How many VIDEO_TS Folders are you finding on one DVD-RW disc? The VIDEO_TS Folder is part of the DVD-VIDEO structure.

The video files in the VIDEO_TS Folder are named typically starting with VTS_01_1.VOB. Depending on how large the DVD-VIDEO is, there can be additional sequential files, VTS_01_2.VOB and so on.

Do you see the VTS_01_1.VOB file and can you play it in Windows Media Player or the VLC Player on your wife's Windows computer?

Now you mention through my editing, I divided the program into segments. I managed to copy one program segment onto the desktop and cannot open it. What players do you have on the Windows computer? I am assuming that you are on the Windows computer at this stage. Is that correct?

Let us check out the above and then decide if all is sorted out.

Thanks.

ATR

• 17. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?

Over on the Windows side of things...

Ripping a VOB to edit http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322647

• 18. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Eagle Lake resident,

Right now I think it is important to define what you have on those DVD discs. It looks like the DVD-VIDEO, but at what stage? The VTS_01_1.VOB ripped or not ripped yet? That is, what we need to factor in is whether your have the DVD-VIDEO from which VOBs need to be ripped or whether you have a DVD data disc with the individual VOBs already ripped by someone and burn to the disc.

If you have DVD-VIDEO whose VOBs need ripping, then I will post the Premiere Elements details for doing that. No need to introduce Premiere Pro into the equation at this time.

You said that whatever files you have are playing back on your wife's Windows computer. What computer player is playing them? What version/edition of Windows?

Does your wife's computer have Premiere Elements on it? If so, we may be looking at .mov or .mp4 exports from there to provide files for Premiere Elements Mac.

The answers are in the details.

I will check your thread in the morning for further developments.

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting.

ATR

• 19. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?

ATR

I don't have access to my wife's computer at this time.  When I do, I'll explore the Video_TS folders.

Thanks

Eagle Lake resident

• 21. Re: How do I convert a "StorageLab TinyUDF Volume"?

ATR

Thanks for the information.  I will investigate this when I have more time.

Thanks,

Eagle Lake resident