9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2013 2:11 PM by Stacy Rothwell

How to adjust interface text size?

Stacy Rothwell Level 1

Is there a way to ajust the interface text size on PPro (or other CC apps)?

I'm running CC on a Retina Macbook pro (in bootcamp mode with Windows -- please don't just respond "use the mac")....  Windows easily adjusts to work with the retina display as do most other programs.... but the CC apps are KILLING me.  All the text, tabs and well, the whole interface, is microscopic at best.

• 1. Re: How to adjust interface text size?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You cannot change this for the program, only on a global level.  (For example, lower the screen resolution.)

• 2. Re: How to adjust interface text size?
            Stacy Rothwell Level 1

This has to be the stupidist "rule" I have ever heard (not you, Jim -- Adobe).

So, exactly, how would someone deal with using a 4K display?  Adobe must think that everyone has magnifiying glasses or something?!?

EVERY SINGLE other program I have installed from every single vendor (other than Adobe, of course) follows Windows control panel settings to set what the size of their interface is.... EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!!!!   Except Adobe, naturally.  I have already adjusted Windows 8.1 to use "large" settings becuase of the Retina MacBook Pro's super hi-res display.  Again, every single other program from every single other vendor looks just fine --- except Adobe's CC software.  The interface is so small I have to put my face up to the screen just to see it.

And (again, not directed at you, Jim).... but leave it to Adobe to tell people that the "fix" their poor coding of software is to just "lower the resolution of your screen."   Really?  REALLY?   That's their answer.... dumb down a $3500 high-end laptop becuase somebody decided to be lazy and not have their software use the font/interface size according to Control Panel?  Geeze.

Does Adobe think that people aren't using ultra-hi resolution displays? 

I thought Adobe was changing in the way they interact with their customers with their new outlook when releasing CC.  I guess not.

• 3. Re: How to adjust interface text size?
              cc_merchant Level 4

I have already adjusted Windows 8.1 to use "large" settings becuase of the Retina MacBook Pro's super hi-res display.

There is no Windows program I know that allows the interface to be adjusted. It is only the Windows interface that can be adjusted and Adobe adheres to those settings like any other Windows program.

• 4. Re: How to adjust interface text size?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Yeah, my experience is the same as cc_merchant.  I've never seen a Windows program that allowed me to adjust the size of the font used for the program's GUI.

• 5. Re: How to adjust interface text size?
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Jim Simon wrote:

Yeah, my experience is the same as cc_merchant.  I've never seen a program that allowed me to adjust the size of the font used for the program's GUI.

I know of one: Final Cut Pro 7. Earlier versions of FCP did not have that feature. The feature was limited to changing text size in the Project window (Browser) and the Timeline, but nowhere else.

Cheers,

Kevin

• 6. Re: How to adjust interface text size?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.  My post was corrected.

• 7. Re: How to adjust interface text size?
                      Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Stacy Rothwell wrote:

This has to be the stupidist "rule" I have ever heard (not you, Jim -- Adobe).

So, exactly, how would someone deal with using a 4K display?  Adobe must think that everyone has magnifiying glasses or something?!?

EVERY SINGLE other program I have installed from every single vendor (other than Adobe, of course) follows Windows control panel settings to set what the size of their interface is.... EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!!!!   Except Adobe, naturally.  I have already adjusted Windows 8.1 to use "large" settings becuase of the Retina MacBook Pro's super hi-res display.  Again, every single other program from every single other vendor looks just fine --- except Adobe's CC software.  The interface is so small I have to put my face up to the screen just to see it.

And (again, not directed at you, Jim).... but leave it to Adobe to tell people that the "fix" their poor coding of software is to just "lower the resolution of your screen."   Really?  REALLY?   That's their answer.... dumb down a $3500 high-end laptop becuase somebody decided to be lazy and not have their software use the font/interface size according to Control Panel?  Geeze.

Does Adobe think that people aren't using ultra-hi resolution displays? 

I thought Adobe was changing in the way they interact with their customers with their new outlook when releasing CC.  I guess not.

Hi Stacy,

Sorry that Premiere Pro does not have this feature. I like your idea, I also would love to be able to change the text size of the interface. You can request a feature for an upcoming version, however. Just fill out this form: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

We do listen to our customers. We have an extensive beta program, and the product improvement program, which you can join by choosing Help > Adobe Product Improvement Program. We also interact with our customers over social networks and right here on the forums whenever possible.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to include every single feature that users want as we have limitations due to time constraints and the size of our staff. Thanks for understanding.

Best,

Kevin

• 8. Re: How to adjust interface text size?
                        Stacy Rothwell Level 1

All of Microsoft's software (text in the UI and the toolbar icons) adjusts and looks just great on the rMBP.  Even Quicken is completely readable.  Cinema 4D is readable.  Sony's Playmemories is readable.  Steam is completely usable and readbale. 

My desktop PC is 2560x1600 on a 30" monitor and, of course, CC software looks great.  But it's like adobe said "if you have high resolution, then you MUST have a big monitor.... so 2880 on a rMBP is only on a display 1/2 the size.  Adobe didn't take that into consideration.  Microsoft did.  Intuit did.  Maxon did.  Steam did.  Even Sony did.

Professionals are doing 4K work.  One of Adobe's big things is 4K....  So, whether it's a macbook with retuna display or not.... what happens when someone buys a 4K monitor at 3840x 2160?  If we compute this, then it's likely Adobe will assume the user will likely have a 45" monitor.  If they have a 32" 4K display then they'll be in the same boat.... teenie, tiny fonts, icons, etc in CC software.

• 9. Re: How to adjust interface text size?
                          Stacy Rothwell Level 1

Thanks, Kevin.  I appreciate your feedback.  Please look at my message directly above.  I think you guys are going to have a serious display issue as people start to use 4K 32" monitors.  There'll be many more people complaining.

BTW... Adobe DOES look at the display.... but only on a Mac.  On the same rMBP running OSX, CC software looks just great and you can see everything.  It's only on Windows.

(yes, I realize I could just use OSX on my rMBP.... truth is, I hate OSX... but I think Apple makes great hardware that runs windows.... so I buy it.)