7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2013 4:50 PM by A.T. Romano

PE 10 viewing screen frozen after installation og windows 8.1

canoeman1961

I have created several projects, where the viewing screen in the editing window ran quite smoothly in windows 8 (3.4 GB processor, 1.2 TB free space, good graphics card), unless I had titles and additional music on top of the original clip (where it was a little more choppy). I downloaded the windows 8.1 update a few days back, and put together a new unedited short project. The viewer in the edit window displays only a freeze frame of the starting clip, and stays there, while I hear the audio of the timeline. If I click the viewer, it displays an updated freeze frame of the current position in the timeline. I checked old projects, and its the same story. Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: PE 10 viewing screen frozen after installation og windows 8.1
          A.T. Romano Level 7

canoeman1961

I have moved from Windows 8 to 8.1 and am not having any video editing/exporting problems with versions 11 and 12. But version 12 had two hangups, that is, extremely slow program closing times and very slow responsiveness to the File Menu/New/Project. But, I believe that to be a version 12 issue, not a Windows 8 or 8.1 issue.

I have yet to try version 10 on Windows 8.1. Premiere Elements 10 worked fine for me on Windows 7 64 bit as well as on Windows 8 64 bit. My video cards have been of the Intel HD Graphics kind.

Many, many users have been running in to problems specific to Premiere Elements 10 and NVIDIA video card drivers. What video card do you have? In most of those cases, rolling back led to success rather than having the latest version of the driver.

If necessary, I will give a try to installing Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 8.1 64 bit. But, first I will await your reply with further details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE 10 viewing screen frozen after installation og windows 8.1
            canoeman1961 Level 1

I have a Nvidia GeForce 640 card. The latest driver update was 327.## (I think it came out mid October). I tried backloading with Sept version (326.41), but no difference yet. I'll try backloading further, as it seems to be that the community is experiencing several editor viewing window "grey" screens, etc. due to the updated drivers.

Frank

• 3. Re: PE 10 viewing screen frozen after installation og windows 8.1
              A.T. Romano Level 7

canoeman1961

Please check out the list that I have been compiling on all these Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card issues to see if you can see your video card listed and the video card driver version that worked for others with that same video card.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675?tstart=0

Thanks. We will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE 10 viewing screen frozen after installation og windows 8.1
                canoeman1961 Level 1

I downloaded the 320.49 driver. As it was installing itself, it stopped, with the message that it could not install further, as it found the hardware incompatible. Recap: my computer is an ASUS 6780, 3.4 GB processor, 64 bit running windows 8.1, GForce 640 card. The CD I purchased of Adobe Premiere 10 did not allow for Disk 1 (of 5, including Mac installation options) to install, and instead asked that the 32 bit version Disk 2 be used for the installation (this was the same speech when loading on my older Windows 7 machine, and again with the ASUS with Windows 8). All worked fine (with the ASUS running faster). At least I'm learning a few new things through these troubled times.

Frank

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: PE 10 viewing screen frozen after installation og windows 8.1
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

canoeman1961

Recap time.

Given you have your Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

I have the same. My video card is Intel Graphics.

I purchased Photoshop Elements 10 Premiere Elements 10 bundled. It came with 5 discs.

Disc 1 of 5. That one is for Windows that is not Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit specifically.

Disc 2 of 5. That one is to be used for Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit specifically.

Disc 3 of 5. Mac install.

Disc 4 of 5. Windows Content

Disc 5 of 5. Mac Content

So I am at a loss when I think you say that disc 2 of 5 is for Premiere Elements 10 running of Windows 32 bit. Where did I misinterpret what you wrote? It should be disc 1 of 5 that is to be used for Premiere Elements 10 if it were on Windows 32 bit.

Could it be that you downloaded the wrong driver for your operating system?

Did you arrive at the following NVIDIA page when you went searching for your latest driver or any of the drivers for your NVIDIA GeForce GT 640?

Please review. We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE 10 viewing screen frozen after installation og windows 8.1
                    canoeman1961 Level 1

It worked the second time I tried installing the 320.49 driver !!!  There is a 222 MB and a 178 MB 320.49 driver download (maybe I wasn't paying enough attention as to the specs each version was meant for). The 178 MB returned my viewing screen in Premiere 10 back to its original mostly smooth style (I work only on mt2s AVCHD files, so it's asking a lot of the processor). I tested several previous projects to confirm that they operated as before. When installing the driver, I still got this message: THE NVIDIA OpenGL DRIVER DETECTED A PROBLEM WITH THE DISPLAY DRIVER AND IS UNABLE TO CONTINUE. However, shortly after, it gave a "completed" message for the driver download, and the control panel NVIDIA display showed that it was using the 320.49 driver. So I don't know what that message was about ... but I can edit again, so I don't care.

Thanks a bunch ATR.

• 7. Re: PE 10 viewing screen frozen after installation og windows 8.1
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

canoeman1961

Sounding good.

If you get any video card messages when running the program moving forward, we might try deleting the BadDrivers.txt file.

But, for now, if everything is under control, let us leave the BadDrivers.txt file for another time.

Observe your Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 8.1 64 bit for a few days and then we can decide if further troubleshooting is indicated.

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated.

ATR