2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2013 7:30 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Can't save/change preference in AE 12.1

Creative Juices Video

I have 10.9 and upgraded to the 12.1 patch. AE opens but I cant save anything it says it can't chage the preferences.

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 9.15.24 PM.png

Trying to start a project and this is killing me.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Can't save/change preference in AE 12.1
          Creative Juices Video Level 1

I figured it out. Opened AE went to preferences. Clicked on General. Went to the bottom and and clicked "Reveal Preferences in Finder". Selected te folder that that file was in and went to permissions and made it read/write on all the selection and it worked.

Hope this might help someone else. I had no clue where the preferences were located at in the finder and didn't know about that button.

• 2. Re: Can't save/change preference in AE 12.1
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As you found out, but for the benefit of everyone else...

When you upgrade a Mac OS (as opposed to installing the new version fresh), Mac OS will _often_ set permissions of folders and files incorrectly.

You'll see this problem in programs like After Effects in the form of error messages saying that a file can't be written, overwritten, or renamed.

To fix this in the case of After Effects, go to the preferences folder and set the _entire_ preferences folder ( /Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/12.0/ ) and all of its contents to be writable, not read-only.