4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 10:57 AM by Satzomatic

UI font wrong in InDesign CS6 after Mavericks upgrade

Satzomatic

This is a tiny but niggling issue with InDesign CS6 post upgrading to Mavericks.

After upgrading from 10.8, palettes and drop downs that used to have their text in regular weight Lucida Grande now have them in something slightly less legible (maybe Geneva?). The bold Lucida Grande (e.g. when you have a swatch or paragraph style selected) is as it always was, but somehow the regular weight is gone.

The main dialogue boxes and windows also all work fine, it's just the palettes and drop downs etc.

Illustrator CS6, Photoshop CS6 and Bridge CS6 also seem as they were under 10.8. InDesign CS4 and CS5 also unchanged under Mavericks compared to 10.8 – so only InDesign CS6 has the problem as far as I can see.

Have tried it on two Macs and had the same experience.

I did read that Apple had introduced a new version of Lucida Grande with four weights instead of two, so I wondered if that had something to do with it, but Font Explorer on both Macs I've tried only show two weights of Lucida Grande. I did try reinstalling Mavericks in case I'd accidentally deleted something, but that made no difference.

Anyone else noticed this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: UI font wrong in InDesign CS6 after Mavericks upgrade
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've not noticed it.

Can you make screen captures and post with the camera icon in the editor.

• 2. Re: UI font wrong in InDesign CS6 after Mavericks upgrade
            Satzomatic Level 1

Yep, here's one of the swatches palette in CS6 and the print dialogue in CS6; plus the same two in CS5 on same machine.

On the CS6 swatches, the unselected colours aren't in Lucida (the 1's don't have the bar at the bottom) but the selected swatch is. In CS5, all in Lucida.

On the print dialogue, it's just the white panel on left of box which has always been Lucida before, as it is still on CS5 grab, but changing to something else in CS6.

Blink and you miss it!

CS6 swatches:

cs6_palette.png

CS5 swatches:

cs5_palette.png

CS6 print dialogue:

cs6_print.png

Compared to CS5:

cs5_print.png

• 3. Re: UI font wrong in InDesign CS6 after Mavericks upgrade
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's what the Swatches panel in InDesign CC looks like under Mavericks:

InDesignScreenSnapz001.jpg

No problem, right?

Remember that InDesign CS5 and CS6 are Carbonized applications. With InDesign CC, the entire application had to be rewritten as an up-to-date Cocoa application, as well as made 64 bit.

So my guess is that Apple doesn't really care so much about the old Carbonized applications any more, and maybe didn't take  the same care when they changed their UI fonts.

So I think you're stuck: Getting Apple to change its UI fonts is just about impossible. It's also highly unlikely that InDesign engineers are going to devote engineering time to fixing it in CS5 or CS6 because it's a cosmetic change, not mission critical.

I think you'll either need to update to InDesign CC or live with it.

• 4. Re: UI font wrong in InDesign CS6 after Mavericks upgrade
                Satzomatic Level 1

Thanks Steve. Yes looks good in CC. We'll upgrade eventually (though I often end up using older versions anyway as that's what clients have). Not a big deal with the font, just offends my eye! Oddly it briefly worked as it should after I posted my last post, but then reverted to form…