Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Links not passed to PDF file in RH7

Dec 21, 2007 Dec 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 4 Webhelp projects that output to PDF files. RH7 is supposed to retain hyperlinks in the PDF file and it did on the the first volume I converted and compiled. But the second volume is not retaining the links even though I have "Add links to PDF" and "Retain hyperlinks" checked in the Print Documentation panel checked. Once the PDF file is generated none of the links that don't actually give the path work. In the first project all the links between topics work fine...in this one they don't. Both projects are similar age, created in RH5. This is straight text (Compliance manuals) with nothing strange. The links were all created with drag/drop.

What am I missing? The first project 'just did it!". This one "just doesn't!!". Thanks in advance for any help!!!

(this is also posted in the Other Single Source Layout category...but no one seems to be posting there so I'm coming here for help from all of you with all the answers!)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Dec 27, 2007 Dec 27, 2007
My only suggestion would be to try the others and see what you get. That could reveal something that might help understand the Volume #2 issue.

Also, you might try generating a Printed Doc into Word first, then converting the Word into PDF.

I suspect some form of corruption in #2, and you could try creating a new replacement project and reimporting everything, but that would be a last-resort thing.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Dec 24, 2007 Dec 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should have enough experience in this forum to have realized that we on this forum have more questions than answers, particularly when confronted with a situation that doesn't seem like RH normal behavior:

What does "none of the links that don't actually give the path work" mean?
Is the "second volume" humongously large, or was the content imported in some freaky manner?
What about the third and fourth volumes?

One pseudo-answer: It's not likely that "external" links (to another project/volume) will be retained at all.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 26, 2007 Dec 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning Leon! The second project is the same as the first - straight text with links to other topics within the project and links to external websites. In the first project the links to other topics within itself work fine in the compiled PDF. In the second project the same type of links - to other topics in the project do NOT work in the compiled PDF. The 'little hand' never becomes a 'pointed finger' that allows for the link. The links to external sites only work if I actually display the full URL and also make that URL a link within RH.

I've not yet converted the 3rd and 4th projects as I'd like to make sure whatever has gone wrong in #2 is not carried forward to #3 and #4. As I said in the first posting, these are simply drag/drop links to other topics in the project - the output is "print to PDF format" with "retain hyperlinks" marked. They simply don't work and I have no idea why. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 27, 2007 Dec 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My only suggestion would be to try the others and see what you get. That could reveal something that might help understand the Volume #2 issue.

Also, you might try generating a Printed Doc into Word first, then converting the Word into PDF.

I suspect some form of corruption in #2, and you could try creating a new replacement project and reimporting everything, but that would be a last-resort thing.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 03, 2008 Jan 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Leon - Happy New Year! Thank You! That did the trick. I printed to a Word doc and then converted that file and everything came through fine. THANK YOU!!! This saved my butt! I really appreciate that, I hadn't thought of that option and it worked.

Have a wonderful day and thanks again!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp