7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2013 2:33 PM by A.T. Romano

Converting video files

tennisplayer2

How do I convert Premiere Elements Video (Prel) files to Windows Media Videos (wmv) so that it plays on our laptop? I don't see an option to do that. We have Premiere Elements 11.

• 1. Re: Converting video files
          A.T. Romano Level 7

tennisplayer2

I suspect that you have hit the snag that many do and that you did not scroll down far enough under Publish+Share/Computer/.

The lineup there is

Adobe Flash Video

MPEG

AVCHD

AVI

Windows Media

QuickTime

Audio

WindowsMediaJPG.JPG

That vertical bar on the far right is the scroll bar.

Please let us know if that worked for you. If not, please supply more details so that we can sort this out.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Converting video files
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

.prel is not a video file, it is a project file containing the commands for editing actual video files

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help, since it has links to how to share your project to different kinds of output

Premiere Elements FAQ List (2 pages of FAQ as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq?view=all

Premiere Elements TIPS List (6 pages of Tips as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_tips?view=all

• 3. Re: Converting video files
              A.T. Romano Level 7

tennisplayer2

I forgot to ask what is the operating system for your laptop? I have been assuming that you are running Premiere Elements 11 on some version/edition of Windows and that your computer laptop has a Windows operating system.

The following is a link to the Premiere Elements 11 Help PDF which has details specific to Premiere Elements. It is quite comprehensive.

http://help.adobe.com/archive/en/premiere-elements/11/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

ATR

• 4. Re: Converting video files
                tennisplayer2 Level 1

The Operating System we are running for this is Windows 7 Professional. I am currently on a desktop trying to convert the files (it also is Windows 7 Professional) so I can burn it on a DVD. I did find the link you mentioned yesterday but ran into a snag. I received the following message: “Audio encoding failed. If audio is in 2-pass VBR encoding mode, try either CBR or 1-pass encoding.”  I have no idea what this means. As of yesterday, this is the first time I have ever attempted working in this type of software. Can you please help?

Much thanks,

Marvin

• 5. Re: Converting video files
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Marvin

Let us back up a little.

Basic Information Needed....

Given that you want your end result to be your source material to get burned to a DVD disc in the DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen format so that you can play that on your TV DVD player. Is that correct?

To get a firm footing on all this, we need to know what are your starting material's properties. What brand/model camera and what camera settings that you used.

What is stopping you from importing your original source media into a project and just burning that to a DVD disc as DVD-VIDEO rather than convert what you have and then burn that to DVD with Premiere Elements?

Audio Troubleshooting

Where exactly were you when you had the audio problems apparently during your conversion process that we have yet to define? What program were you using for this conversion and to what? WMV? Other? Besides that type of information on this issue, we need to know what you were using as export settings in whatever program you were using. I have not seen the audio message that you describe when exporting from Premiere Elements. So, all details on what you were doing that resulted in that message would be helpful.

Let us review the above, please answer the questions, and, if any problems with the questions, please let me know where you need more clarification from me.

Thanks. Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

• 6. Re: Converting video files
                    tennisplayer2 Level 1

Mr. Romano, thank you for your assistance. Your initial suggestion worked. We have now burned 4 DVD’s of the videos we needed. I appreciate all of your help.

Best Regards,

Marvin

Information Technology Intern

YMCA OF THE CENTRAL BAY AREA

P 707 545-9622 F 707 544-7805

E mashe@ymca-cba.org

• 7. Re: Converting video files
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Marvin

Thanks for the news of success. Your DVD production sounded great.

Continued success, and please do not hesitate ot ask if you have any further questions on your Premiere Elements workflows.

To avoid nuisances, it would be suggested that you remove your telephone, fax, and email information.

Thanks.

ATR