21 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 7:22 AM by nickysix84

Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop

blueyez75 Level 1

I am currently still in the trial version of CC Photoshop.  My window keeps flickering in and out while I am trying to edit.  Is anyone else having this issue and/or have any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
          Arpit Kapoor Adobe Employee

[Moved the discussion to Photoshop Forum]

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
            Arpit Kapoor Adobe Employee

HI blueyez75,

First of all, as said by Romit, please check if your graphic card is under the Tested graphic card list. Also, check if you have the latest graphic card drivers installed.

Else, lets try the below suggestions:

• Launch PS CC.
            • Choose Edit > Preferences (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences (Mac OS).
            • In the Performance panel, select Enable OpenGL. Click OK.
            • Restart Photoshop, and perform the same function.

In case of same issue,

Reset Photoshop preferences by pressing and holding Shift+Ctrl+Alt (Windows) or Shift+Option+Command (Mac OS) immediately after you start Photoshop. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings File.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776

Let me know how it goes.

• 3. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
              blueyez75 Level 1

I went in and did not find OpenGL, could see OpenCL but it won't let me click it.  I am on a new system that has Windows 8 installed.  Any other suggestions, I am fairly frusterated at this point.

• 4. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                Level 7

Windows 8 has known bugs that cause flickering, transparent or solid black canvas, etc.

Update your video card driver from the GPU maker's website.

If you can't update your driver for some reason (@#$%@#% locked down laptops), then set the Photoshop GPU mode to "Basic".

• 5. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                  zukisox Level 1

I have same problem (also still in trial and Photoshop incidentally promised an extended trial on last update - Oct 2014) and yet never gave it to me.

Here is what I have tried so far:

Updated my graphics card (Intel HD Graphics card), to the very latest driver  My laptop has 6GB of RAM on Intel i5 core processor and Windows 8. You would think that is good enough to run CC2014.

After updating the driver, it seemed fine at first but then next morning when I opened Photoshop, it was doing same thing. I then set Preferences to Basic and NOW, when in 3D mode, Photoshop either crashes or says program error when trying to alter things on the 3D panel.

At this rate I will not be upgrading to CC 2014 any time soon.

Is anyone else just a tad annoyed?

• 6. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                    Level 7

Did you update the driver from Intel's website?  Or did you mistakenly try to update from Microsoft (who has drivers that are several years out of date)?

Intel (and the other GPU vendors) fixed the Windows 8 problems quite a while ago, and other people aren't reporting that many problems with Intel's latest drivers.

• 7. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                      zukisox Level 1

Well I clicked into the Intel Website (Photoshop Help sections, very kindly gave us the links for the different graphics card)

Then Intel detected mine and I updated it. I checked and it is now their latest version.

The weird thing is, it was fine after. But then when I fired up laptop the next day and back in Photoshop I thought oh NO, the screen flicker is BACK !!

• 8. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                        Level 7

Did you install anything else between the driver and it not working again, like an OS update?

(the win 8.1 updater "helpfully" reinstalls the Microsoft drivers, with all the bugs)

• 9. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                          zukisox Level 1

Apart from the usual Windows 8 updates, no, I havent installed anything else. I just checked the driver and it says Intel (see screen capture below).

March 2014, version 9.17.10.3517,  is their last one they did.   I could not find any way to contact Intel or I would have put a message on a forum or emailed them.

Capture INtel driver info.PNG

• 10. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                            ruslonick Level 1

hi guys. i have the same problem with my CC. setting 'basic' mode didn't help. so, i usually use my PH for drawing with Wacom tablet. and today i have noticed, that if i select all my document with marcuee tool, flickering dissapear. so, again: if i select all my document, i can work in it without flickering. i hope it will help for some of you. sorry for my english, plz.

• 11. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                              Level 7

You still need to update your video card driver from the GPU maker's website. That is the correct solution.

• 12. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                                ruslonick Level 1

updating of my drivers didn't help me

• 13. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                                  Level 7

Then you need to contact your GPU maker and see what is wrong with the driver installation, because updated drivers have solved the Windows 8 flicker/black screen problem for everyone else.

• 14. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                                    zukisox Level 1

What is a GPU maker?  Presume you meant Intel ?? Searched and searched. Could not find any way to contact them and with there being no actual telephone number for Intel OR Adobe support, this has ended (for me) UNRESOLVED, as my 30 day trial has now run out.

I was going to sign up with Creative Cloud for 1 month to see if I can continue to resolve the flickering but when I went to do so. I saw on the screen that it is a one year contract.

Needless to say this has now ended with me having no other option but to revert to my old version of Photoshop. Because I should think once you have had a 30 day trial you cant ever have a trial again even in the future (at least to see if things have improved through the next updates from graphics drivers, and/or PS new releases).

• 15. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                                      zukisox Level 1

Sorry - I think I put the message in the wrong box.

• 16. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                                        ruslonick Level 1

i assure you - updating latest version of drivers by intel DOESN'T WORK. and it is not only mine problem - people on forums have the same issue too.

• 17. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                                          Level 7

Updating the drivers works for almost everyone else, because the bugs were fixed shortly after Win8 was released.

You need to contact Intel and see why the driver update did not work, and how to clear out the old drivers and install the new drivers correctly.

• 18. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                                            zukisox Level 1

I contacted Intel and Sansumg (my laptop manufacturer), who have now diagnosed that, as the flickering is only happening in the latest Photoshop version and not on any other software then it is a problem with the Photoshop version.

The only other thing I can think of now, is to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop CC 2014 software, which I dont think I can do, as it will recognise that I already had a 30 day trial that has now run out. But I can try and see if maybe installing Photoshop with the latest graphics driver already there, may cure the problem.

Will let you know how I get on.

• 19. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                                              annel6033605 Level 1

Yes I have the same problem. I downloaded the trial to see if it sorts out the minute icons I have with my present (expensive) CS6 on my new hi res PC screen- only to be confronted with the new jumping document problem. I have done most things mentioned here - but I have windows 7 so it is not only version 8 that is buggy.  Tried for months to get an answer for the teensy icons problem without anything helping. And have spent hours on forums for the flicker screen - still no wiser. Anyone a tad annoyed? You bet. All in all it doesn't seem as if Adobe cares a hoot. That is the only conclusion I can arrive at.

Anni

• 20. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                                                zukisox Level 1

Well folks, I am back again here after many months.  Now running a trial of Photoschop CC2015.  Not only is the flickering screen still there (worse than ever), but also many many of the new features wont work.

So folks - updating the drivers (see above) is not the correct answer. The real problem (in my case anyway), is the graphics card itself (so I was told when I contacted Adobe by phone).

On my relatively new expensive laptop, my graphics card is Intel 3000.  If you check the sys requirements this is not on the list. So my only conclusion is, Adobe's new products require a fairly expensive graphics card, and furthermore, don't bother with anything less than 16GB of RAM, if you want to run all the latest features of Photoshop CC2015.

In fact I think now, the minimum they recommend is at least 8GB even to do basic things comfortably.

A sad end for Adobe latest products I would think. As most of us cannot afford to go out and buy new hardware or PC, every time they decide to do an update.

Also Adobe will not let us pay monthly for our subscription to CC. I believe its not that easy to cancel either.  I know of no other major software company that dont let you pay monthly and cancel at anytime.

After being with Adobe since CS4, I am now very disappointed. I was looking forward to joining CC but seems impossible for me, unless I go out and pay over the odds for a new PC.

I am sure Adobe are losing many customers because of same issues, or are they 'too big for their boots' now, to care a hoot, as Anni above said.

• 21. Re: Flickering Screen in CC Photoshop
                                                  nickysix84 Level 1

so i turned off use graphics processor in performance and the flickering has stopped. i have an intel integrated graphics chip HD 2000.

hope this helps?