9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 5:58 PM by Josh_Corey

Drop Down Box Limits

Moose766

Is there a limit on how many selctions can be entered in a drop down box?

• 1. Re: Drop Down Box Limits
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Hi;

There are not restrictions - how many items are you thinking of adding?  At a point there can be performance issues, if the dropdown might get very long it can be good to break it up into multiple drop downs with the first one broken up into categories that would then show (using show hide logic) the secondary drop down.  The performance issues may not be anything to worrry about since it wouldn't come into play until you really had a very long drop down.   

Anyhow, the answer is there is no restriction on how long that drop down list can be.

Thanks,

Josh

• 2. Re: Drop Down Box Limits
            Moose766 Level 1

Well...I was needing about 130 items and hoped the drop down might offer a 'scroll' option as MS Access offers. I'll need to rethink my options.

Thansk for the reply Josh!

• 3. Re: Drop Down Box Limits

130 should not be an issue as far as performance is concerned, the list can handle many more items and will provide scroll bar to scroll the list.

Thanks,

Josh

• 4. Re: Drop Down Box Limits
                Moose766 Level 1

Ah ha..that's great! Can you tell me how long the list has to be before the scroll bar appears?  And/or if there might be a way to insert a list as opposed to typing each entry?

Thanks again Josh!!

• 5. Re: Drop Down Box Limits

It will appear when the browser window cannot display the full list, for me just now it was at about 20 items in the list but that will be dependant on screen resolution. 

There isn't a way to insert items other than typing them in individually (or copy/paste individually).

Thanks,

Josh

• 6. Re: Drop Down Box Limits
                    Moose766 Level 1

Thanks again Josh, you've been most helpfull...However you have now raised another question. Is there a recommended setting (using 'settings' inside Form Central parameters) for resolutions? I've noticed my forms do not fill the screen, but realize that may be best overall and noticed my form has a setting (left it at default) of 6XX or so. Is it suggested to leave the form setting at default?

• 7. Re: Drop Down Box Limits

We chose that width to accomodate smaller resolution monitors and users not having their web browser full screen.  It really depends on the profile of your target audience.  For the default size we want it to be narrow enough that users don't have to scroll horizontally, but we have not changed that width in a few years and resolution of the average monitor has increased.  I would not necessarily recommend that you stick with the default, it's completely up to your design, making it wider may look better and still work (without horizontal scroll) for the bulk of your form fillers.  Very few screens now <1024 wide, however I would probably not go larger than about 900.

We've also added "side by side" fields since that width was chosen and it makes more sense now with the side by side layout to maybe increase the width in your forms.

Thanks,

Josh

• 8. Re: Drop Down Box Limits
                        Moose766 Level 1

Well, believe it or not, am not a 'smart phone' user and wondered how resolutions affected them. i.e....do they need a smaller resolution?

Again, thanks much Josh!!!

• 9. Re: Drop Down Box Limits

Even the 6xx width requires horizontal scrolling on most smart phones, with the way our HTML forms currently work there wouldn't be a way to design a single form to have a great layout on both laptop/desktop computer and smart phone.  On the smart phone with touch however scrolling the page is pretty easy and I'd recommend sizing for desktop/laptop and let smartphone users scroll unless that is your target audience.

Thanks,

Josh