9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2013 4:40 PM by Noel Carboni

image resize

Altima

How do I resize an image to exactly 909x600

• 1. Re: image resize
          MikeGondek Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Image >> Image Size

Check the boxes I have at the bottom, then insert your 2 values for width and height at the top.

Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 4.13.35 PM.png

• 2. Re: image resize
            Altima Level 1

I have Photoshop CC my image size box doesn't look like yours. 

• 3. Re: image resize
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Yes CC Image Size Dialog is much harder to us the CS6 Image size dialog.   The Scale Layer Styles control is hidden and not visible.  When the resample control is checked the document dimensions are not editable in CC.  You need to change the units use in  the document size area to pixels and then change the size there,  You also need to consult the constraining  indicators to what is linked.  CC does now have a prerview.

cs6vsCC.jpg

• 4. Re: image resize
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Altima wrote:

I have Photoshop CC my image size box doesn't look like yours. 

The principles are identical

chairs.png

• 5. Re: image resize
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

JJMack wrote:

Yes CC Image Size Dialog is much harder to us the CS6 Image size dialog. 

Your resistance to change is showing, JJ.     It's not harder to use once you accept the differences and get used to it - just like everything else.  The preview and that wonderful detail preserving upsampling choice makes it well worth the trouble.

-Noel

• 6. Re: image resize
                    JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Its not that its hard  its just not as easy to use as it was. If Adobe just add the preview to the old dialog I would have written the new UI is better. IMO the new interface is not better for you have to do an extra mouse movement and click to even see the state of the Scale Styles option. I view that as harder to use. I'll take back the "Much"  OK?  Also not being able to edit dimensions when resample is checked also adds complexity. Its my opinion the new interface is less friendly then to old one.

It is useless to resist change change is going to happen.  Change is also welcomed when the change is for the better. In the case the change was not better.  Given a choice I would take the old interface without the preview. If you want to give me something better give me the old dialog with the added preview.

• 7. Re: image resize
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Well, I've got to say, having lived with the new Image Size dialog for longer than you (like 10 months longer), I've gotten over the differences and frankly I don't find it any harder to use at all.  It's just as natural for me now as the old one was.

I never change the "scale styles" option myself, so not seeing it represents a reduction in clutter on the screen.  But I agree, how hard is it to ignore if it's out there all the time?  For those who do use it, they need it.  Discoverability is reduced.

There's a trend in modern UI design that I don't necessarily agree with...  It's popular to "reduce cognitive overload".  In other words, rather than present more options in small text, someone somewhere thinks it's better to present fewer options (often in larger fonts), and hide the "expert" things, because having more to look at confuses the poor dears using the program.   Trouble is, Photoshop is an EXPERT TOOL.  It's not a "big button" program, and should not try to be.  Experts NEED those options!  Experts have BIG monitors (and multiples of them), so they can see MORE.  They're not interested in hiding things.

There's an old saying:

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler"

While this is certainly something to be heeded, I really don't even agree with the first part entirely.  I say "make everything as powerful as possible", and provide a Lite/EZ/Simple/Big Button version for the non-experts to use.

-Noel

• 8. Re: image resize
                        nbirkett51 Level 1

Rather than start a new thread:

The portion of the image seen in the new image resize preview box in Photoshop CC is supposed to adjustable by left-clicking with your mouse and then dragging the image in the preview box.  On my version (CC running on the iMac under Lion), nothing happens when I do this.  Instead, I have to click on the image I am trying to re-size.  The preview then shifts so that the spot I clicked in centered in the pre-view box.  Is this a behaviour change?  Or is there a configuration option I need to set?

Thanks, Nick.

• 9. Re: image resize
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

I can pan my image by dragging in the preview pane of the Image Size dialog.

-Noel