2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 2:50 PM by Steve Werner

Paragraph styles

kepeirce

My copy of Indesign didn't come with any paragraph or character styles. Is this correct? Some forums seem to suggest it should at least come with a few.

How can I import some?

• 1. Re: Paragraph styles
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The only default style you will see is the [Basic Paragraph] font. You can create new ones yourself, or import fonts from other documents using the Load Paragraph Styles, Load Character Styles, or Load all text styles commands from the styles panels' flyout menus.

• 2. Re: Paragraph styles
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No, InDesign does not come with prebuilt paragraph or character styles. To do so wouldn't make much sense since there are millions of possibilities.

Format a paragraph of text the way you like, then choose New Paragraph Style from the Paragraph Styles menu.

It sounds like you need some basic instruction in how to use InDesign. I highly recommend Sandee Cohen's book InDesign Visual QuickStart Guide. It's inexpensive and will save you tons of time. Here's a link to the latest version, but there are editions for all versions of InDesign:

InDesign CC: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual Quickstart Guides)