5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 12:47 PM by shooternz

How to edit video frames in Premiere like in Photoshop?

Dathaeus Level 1

Hi all!  So I have some videos I need to edit, and I am finally breaking into Premiere, might as well right, since I have CC, and I understand it is an awesome package.

I am learning as I go here, but as for right now, my main objective is to edit some info in the video.  What would be real useful is if Premiere had like Photoshop tools bult in, so frame by frame, or for multiple frames, I can crop out, brush or pencil something in, or paint over something.

Real example:  I have a video that has some phone numbers + promo codes across the bottom that is outdated and I need to change it.  It runs across the bottom for about 30 seconds.  What would be IDEAL is if I could select those 30 seconds, grab a paintbrush or outline the area with the selection rectangle, delete or paint it black, and then type in the new #'s.

I looked and couldnt find an option to do this.  So far what I have done is export the video into JPG stills, 1447 files for a 60 seconds video.  Now I dont have all kinds of hours to do this, but if desperate I will go frame by frame in PS and do that, but I am cringing at this solution.

There has to be something else... I know Premiere had some option to add subtitles but this is actual frame by frame graphic editing.

(Along similar lines, isnt this how old movies are converted to HD? They sharpen and edit frame by frame from the old crappy res to HD res?)

Thanks guys............

• 1. Re: How to edit video frames in Premiere like in Photoshop?
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

If you want to cover up a phone number with black, super easy! Just go into the Titler in Premiere and make a black box as a title and apply it over the video clip for the required duration. The new phone number can be in that same title comp as well. Done.

If the background beneath the original phone number is static (not changing), you could export ONE frame from the segment in Premiere, and take that still into Photoshop and use the Clone tool to hide the bad text. Then Select just that area and make the rest of the background transparent and export a .psd. Now you have an "overlay" or Band-aid that you can apply in Premiere, cleanly hiding the unwanted titles. Of course that will not work if there is moving video playing under the titles, but I have used this method to remove unwanted things from the background video if the camera is locked down on a tripod, completely invisible to the viewer! Only if the camera moves or the lighting changes would the patch become noticeable.

Hope this helps

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 2. Re: How to edit video frames in Premiere like in Photoshop?
            Dathaeus Level 1

Thanks for your response!

1. Luckily as for the tel/promo code, they are on a back footer bg so thats easy then... but I am a noob at Premiere, whats the easiest way to "select" the desired frame set/duration? My instinctive method would be to put that red marker at the beginning and then **** click to the end, LOL... but I would need to micormange the duration to the exact frame so.....

2. There is a section at the very beginning where some overlaid text is fading away and I would love to get that out as well, but it IS on an iragnic background of a guy approaching a house so..... I know this may seem like a lot of work, but if absolutely necessary, is there a way, well I'm sure there is, but how do you clone out that text for like 20-30-50 frames and import them back into Premiere to export as a video file?  When you export as JPG/TIFF sequence files, edit each one, can you simply re-import them to Premiere and it will process into an AVI or whatever?

Thanks!

10Thanks for

1. Luckily as for the tel/promo code, they are on a back footer bg so thats easy then... but I am a noob at Premiere, whats the easiest way to "select" the desired frame set/duration? My instinctive method would be to put that red marker at the beginning and then **** click to the end, LOL... but I would need to micormange the duration to the exact frame so.....

2. There is a section at the very beginning where some overlaid text is fading away and I would love to get that out as well, but it IS on an iragnic background of a guy approaching a house so..... I know this may seem like a lot of work, but if absolutely necessary, is there a way, well I'm sure there is, but how do you clone out that text for like 20-30-50 frames and import them back into Premiere to export as a video file?  When you export as JPG/TIFF sequence files, edit each one, can you simply re-import them to Premiere and it will process into an AVI or whatever?

Thanks!

Thanks!

• 3. Re: How to edit video frames in Premiere like in Photoshop?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>actual frame by frame graphic editing

I have never had to use it, but look at After Effects

• 4. Re: How to edit video frames in Premiere like in Photoshop?
                Dathaeus Level 1

I've seen that in some of my search results, but I was hoping to do this without having to learn yet another program at the same time, but will if i have to for the long run.

10II've seen that in some of my search results, but I was hoping to do this without having to learn yet another program at the same time, but will if i have to for the long run.
                • 5. Re: How to edit video frames in Premiere like in Photoshop?
                  shooternz Level 6

I would seriously suggest you do some of the basic Premiere Tutorials for an understanding of video and Premiere before you get into too much further.

Nothing you are wanting is too difficult for an intermediate user of Premiere or After Effects but you will need some of the fundamentals under your wing first.

This Forum is not so good at step by step hand holding thru a project such as yours because we are not in front of your screen with you..