12 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2016 8:02 AM by fredowww66

Choosing export bitrate for local playback ...

fredowww66 Level 1

What is the best choice for bitrate export for using the file on an emtec multimediadisc (connected to TV hdmi, TV hd)

Settings of my clipimport you can see hereunder.

Overall bit rate mode                    : Variabel

Overall bit rate                         : 25,1 Mbps

Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 28,0 Mbps

Bit rate mode                            : Variabel

Bit rate                                 : 23,7 Mbps

Maximum bit rate                         : 25,0 Mbps

All other info about import at the end of the message.

Subquestion: what is now my highest bitrate in the original file ? Is it 25 or 28 ???

For export I tried several bitrates. Because it's a local disk and your own movie (I not gone make a thousand movies :-) ) I thought it was a good idea to use high bitrates...

I have a exported movie where the playing is at a moment (or sometimes moments)not fluently and even sound is not fluently at that moment. It's a typical part where videocodec can compress much (big yellow flowerfield, camera goes very slowly up). I tought first that I have to take a higher bitrate. Footage is clearly sharper than but at this very moment the playback was still not fluently, even worse.

Also my emtec disc has more not fluently action when I use 50fr in stead of 25fr I've noticed.

So then I started to do the opposite : lower bitrates and 25fr. These seems to solve it ... but image is not as sharp ...

So my question is wich bitrate (in Mbps not Kbps) (export to h264/mp4 1080p 25f) for (very) good quality but with 'guarentee' that I plays good on a 4 years old full hd emtecplayer (s800h)?

Should I choose the same bitrate as the import or is it wise to go higher ?

What I don't understand is that videosites asks much higer bitrates for 1080p footage ???

Here is the mediainfo from my standardfootage - Camera Panasonic HC-X900:

Algemeen
      ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
      Complete name                            : D:\Fredo\Video\Basisvideo\Le Crotoy\00004.MTS
      Format                                   : BDAV
      Format/Info                              : Blu-ray Video
      File size                                : 118 MiB
      Duration                                 : 39s 345ms
      Overall bit rate mode                    : Variabel
      Overall bit rate                         : 25,1 Mbps
      Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 28,0 Mbps

Video
      ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
      Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
      Format                                   : AVC
      Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
      Format profile                           : High@L4.2
      Format settings, CABAC                   : Ja
      Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
      Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=24
      Codec ID                                 : 27
      Duration                                 : 39s 320ms
      Bit rate mode                            : Variabel
      Bit rate                                 : 23,7 Mbps
      Maximum bit rate                         : 25,0 Mbps
      Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
      Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
      Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
      Frame rate                               : 50,000 fps
      Color space                              : YUV
      Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
      Bit depth                                : 8 bits
      Scan type                                : Progressief
      Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.228
      Stream size                              : 111 MiB (94%)

Audio
      ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)
      Format                                   : AC-3
      Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
      Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
      Format settings, Endianness              : Big
      Codec ID                                 : 129
      Duration                                 : 39s 360ms
      Bit rate mode                            : Constant
      Bit rate                                 : 384 Kbps
      Channel(s)                               : 6 kanalen
      Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
      Sampling rate                            : 48,0 KHz
      Bit depth                                : 16 bits
      Delay relative to video                  : -40ms
      Stream size                              : 1,80 MiB (2%)

Tekst
      ID                                       : 4608 (0x1200)
      Format                                   : PGS
      Codec ID                                 : 144
      Duration                                 : 38s 816ms
      Delay relative to video                  : -40ms

• 1. Re: Choosing export bitrate for local playback ...
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Emtec Multimedia player plays a variety of video formats. There's no reason to dump such a heavy file on it.

You'll get excellent results just using Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the MP4 H264 1920x1080 preset.

This will produce a nice, compact, full-quality delivery file.

You won't see noticeable improvement in your playback using the high bitrate file you're suggesting. it will just create a bigger file.

• 2. Re: Choosing export bitrate for local playback ...
            fredowww66 Level 1

I still have problems with exported projects if there are cornfields or other big same coloured surfaces with movement in the footage ...

In my exported/finished project (mp4 h264) the movie stammers on this moments. This can happen on mediaplayers, normal disks connected to tv and even also when playing the file on the pc.

If I lower the bitrate and render (for export) the whole project again on some moments in the movie it's fixed but I ended always with one moment that still stammers.

I don't want to lower the bitrate even more than my original footage.

And the original footage from the cam plays also without stammer ...

If I export only a part of the movie, one of these difficult moments, the result is perfect (with the same export settings as for the whole movie !). And even with very high bitrates these short exports plays without stammer on pc.

So my conclusion is that for final rendering in PE11 there goes something very wrong while rendering footage where much compression is used (big same coloured fields) but this seems only to happen if you render the whole movie.

• 3. Re: Choosing export bitrate for local playback ...
              fredowww66 Level 1

No one can help on this ? Also my current project suffers from this. Again a sequence with big same color field and movement: a lawn, camera on ground and slides slowly up to show the people standing in the lawn.

sourceclip properties: see above (still the same camera)

PE 11

export 1080p 50f

• 4. Re: Choosing export bitrate for local playback ...

Although it's been nearly 3 years since you posted the original question, I stand by my original answer.

If your project settings match your video specs and you select the output option I recommended, you'll get the best possible results.

• 5. Re: Choosing export bitrate for local playback ...
                  fredowww66 Level 1

The output option you suggested 3 years ago was the default MP4 H264 1920x1080 preset. This preset uses default a bitrate between 32 MB and 40 MB !

As you can read in my original first post these high bitrates give stammer in difficult parts when playing on my emtec ...

I tried yesterday evening a test with a new rendering with a target (MP4 H264 1920x1080p preset and framerate 50) bitrate of 26 MB and a max of 50 MB (you can not choose higher in these preset ...) but this time single pass to spare some time ....

Now the lawn clip was ok (on PC), but the clip just before it not !
                  I saw also with mediainfo that the exported file has only a maximum of 26,6 MBS so maximum bitrate in vbr with PE seems almost not being used ...

I'm tired of rendering for hours and hours again trying different vbr settings. Maybe it's time to quit that always suggested vbr and just choose a cbr of 29 MB f.e.

I've wonder also why using high bitrates of 32-40MB if the original footage was only 23.7-28 MB ?

• 6. Re: Choosing export bitrate for local playback ...

I don't know. The question may be way too technical for us fellow users on this forum.

ATR loved these kinds of questions when she frequented this forum. But me, I like to keep it simple. If you'll just tell me which version of the program you're using and what you plan to do with the video, I can recommend the optimized output template to use.

Ultimately, that's all that really matters.

• 7. Re: Choosing export bitrate for local playback ...
                      fredowww66 Level 1

Well it was all above, but I'll repeat it :

PE11

First version wanted is for mediareaders connected to TV screens with HDMI cable (in my case Emtec s800h) and family has smart tv's with ordinary hd's connected to the tv trough usb. So mp4 container seems to me the (only) right choice. Other containers will give even more problems to play on these diverse equipment.

Ofcourse the final product has to stay 1080p with all these big hd TV's now.

• 8. Re: Choosing export bitrate for local playback ...

Since the original post is three years old, which version of the program are you using?

• 10. Re: Choosing export bitrate for local playback ...

Use Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD and select the preset for YouTube HD.

No reason to make it more complicated than that.

• 11. Re: Choosing export bitrate for local playback ...
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no point in exporting movie with a higher bitrate then the original.

Media players can choke on high bitrates.

If you choose the YT preset under AVCHD go into advanced settings:

change the resolution by setting the Profile to High and Level to 4.2

Change framerate to 50 match the timeline.

Set bitrate encoding to VBR2  both to 8.

Start with short segments and specially with problem footage and see how it looks.

• 12. Re: Choosing export bitrate for local playback ...
                              fredowww66 Level 1

update

I've tested with a constant bitrate: AVCHD1080P 50fr and bitrate of 16 Mbps seems to play ok on pc and on the emtec disc.

But this bitrate is much lower than the original material (23 -27 Mbps)...

Earlier I've tested also original separate clips: they play great on both pc and emtec disc ... (bitrate is thus a vbr 23-27 Mbps)

I've tested also to export only a small portion of the timeline (the difficult parts, where it went wrong in the full exported version).

For such a small parts, I've tested even also with very high bitrates (40 and 50 Mbps).

All this small clips play without any problem also on the emtec disc ... And you see really the difference in imagequality contrast and color  between a bitrate of 10, 20, 30, higher I don't see the difference anymore. So it seems logic to me to export with a bitrate that is a little higher than the original material.

So problem is not really that bitrate is to high but that PE seems to render wrong with higher bitrates if you have a real project (and my project was even not so long, only 33 minutes !). Maybe this problem is only with VBR in PE ?

Therefore I should have again an export of my project with a CBR of 30 in stead of 16 like now.